Thread: Hi from long-time lurker :Exige:

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hi from long-time lurker :Exige:

Hi all, it's :Exige: here, if anyone remembers me?

It's been a while since I've posted, though I've still been visiting regularly to check out the updates.

So it appears that I've finally bought into a British marque, though not the one that my username would suggest. I've had it since early April, though I'm still yet to take it on circuit. It's a road-registered Ginetta G27 R.

It's got an 1800 Raceline Zetec on Weber 45s with a modest but VERY torquey 150bhp, weighs around the 600kg mark minus driver, straight-cut Tranx close ratio gearbox, Quaife LSD on a live axle, adjustable brake bias, fully race prepared and FIA/MSA compliant. And it's road registered. Stiff suspension and quick rack steering means that it's quite hairy on the road, but fun nonetheless. It's got better aero than the 7-style cars, so it's much more stable at higher speeds. I believe it's geared for 125mph-ish, presuming that the ratios haven't been changed from the Ginetta G27R Championship specs.

It's off the road for the winter as of yesterday, and I've got a few bits planned. I'll take the body off and see what's underneath, and replace some bolts, though judging by the chassis members which are visible, the chassis won't need re-coating for many years to come. It's got a one-piece body, but I'm thinking that I might separate the interior from the body and rivet in some ally panelling. It would make the car more maintainable if the bulkhead were attached to the chassis, and the transmission tunnel were removable. Then the body will remove without any problem and provide better access to, well, everything. It's pretty maintainable in its current form to be fair.

I might also do the ARP bolts in the engine, just for longevity. Current rev limit is about 7200rpm, but with the ARP bolts in it'll be safer up to 7800rpm. I'm not going to worry too much engine mods over the Winter, though if some nice bike carbs with the right inlet manifold come up, I might go that way and get myself a Megajolt programmable ignition. I'm currently on Lumenition, but the software is terrible and nobody has any useful presets. The coolant hoses need doing too, so I'll make up some nice silicone jobbies.

Anyway, I hope this post is sufficiently long enough to make up for the years I've not really been making a contribution to this forum (apart from clicking adverts, of course!).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information