Thread: Minardi

Minardi

The Minardi F1x2 team will break new ground this coming weekend when its exciting two-seater Formula One cars appear for the first time in Africa

The Minardi F1x2 team will break new ground this coming weekend when its exciting two-seater Formula One cars appear for the first time in Africa.

The Ledbury, UK-based squad will be running a pair of chassis from its innovative, eight-car, F1x2 “fleet” at the AA Kyalami International Raceway circuit, near Johannesburg, South Africa, as a precursor to the Altech South African F1x2 Grand Prix, to be held at the famous track on Monday, August 9.

The latter event is fully supported by Nelson Mandela, and will provide a memorable weekend of motorsport and entertainment, the proceeds from which will directly benefit the Nelson Mandela Children’s Fund and Unite Against Hunger charities.

The purpose of this weekend’s programme is to provide passenger rides to a select number of VIP and media guests, both to publicise the August event and to introduce the two-seater Minardi F1 cars to a South African audience that has seen little Formula One-related motorsport since the country last staged a Grand Prix, at Kyalami, in 1993.

Acting as high-speed “chauffeurs” this weekend will be regular Wilux Minardi Cosworth Formula One driver, Zsolt Baumgartner, the Faenza-based team’s official test and reserve driver, Bas Leinders, and up-and-coming South African racer, Alan van der Merwe, who is currently competing in the FIA F3000 International Championship, generally regarded as the final step for young drivers before embarking on a Formula One career.

“Minardi has been privileged to be able to introduce the excitement of its two-seater Formula One cars to enthusiastic audiences in a number of countries around the world over the last four years, including China, Malaysia, Australia, Hungary, Austria, Italy and the UK,” comments Wilux Minardi Cosworth Team Principal, Paul Stoddart.

“We are particularly proud, however, to be able to bring them to South Africa for the first time this weekend in order officially to launch the Altech South African F1x2 Grand Prix, which has all the makings of truly remarkable event. I would like to thank our drivers, Zsolt, Bas and Alan, all of whom are willingly giving of their time at a very busy stage of the motor racing season in order to participate in this weekend’s programme. I’m sure it is going to be a success and will undoubtedly whet the appetite of South African motor racing fans for the August event.”
    •·.·´¯`·.·• DarkPhenix •·.·´¯`·.·•
    •·.·´¯`·.·• Underground Sounds of Lisbon •·.·´¯`·.·•

Can Minardi - a team not really rolling in money - afford to build and run a "fleet" of two seater cars?

Would that money not be better spent on getting better race results?
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    Can Minardi - a team not really rolling in money - afford to build and run a "fleet" of two seater cars?

Would that money not be better spent on getting better race results?
    Well they're being paid real money to build develop and support the racing of these.
    So it's being used to raise moeny to then spend on their F1 team, quite innovative and hopefully works out well for them.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I think that they wiil not build a lot of 2 seater cars. It's , i think, only advertising to attract the sponsors/investors because they can't get a lot of money from this project.
    "too wild to live, too thin to die"

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor_Gonzo
    I think that they wiil not build a lot of 2 seater cars. It's , i think, only advertising to attract the sponsors/investors because they can't get a lot of money from this project.
    This was all covered in last yeasr F1 press, a google might find it.

Basically they contracted to build 12 (IIR) chassis and run 8 cars at each ace.
    The rear seat will be taken up by a 'celebrity' and the cars will be 'raced' by a professional driver - testers, 3rd strings and up-coming hopfeuls.

All part of the new 'show' Bernie/Max wanted to bring tot the F1 3-ring circus.

This announcement is the first time they're doing it I think.

Yes, it's only 'advertisng', but it isn't just a one-off.
    And 12 is a LOT for an F1 chassis
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

How do you think, will it help the Minardi?

I think, no. Minardi can't develop it's car, even if it double its oncome. to create a good car they need not only money. They need good engineers, good base to make car. Even Toyota can't take a leading positions with so much money,which it has.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor_Gonzo
    How do you think, will it help the Minardi?

I think, no. Minardi can't develop it's car, even if it double its oncome. to create a good car they need not only money. They need good engineers, good base to make car. Even Toyota can't take a leading positions with so much money,which it has.
    F1 is facing a HUGE reductino in sposnorship when the final tobacco giants leave.
    F1 teams have to consider how they will survive in the new situation.
    The new F1 rules are an attempt to try to limit the costs and will help.
    All teams have to find new sponsors and new ways of developing their cars.

So consider this.... ( and this was an objection raised by some teasm when this was proposed ) ....

Minardi will be running 8-10 cars on the same trakcs as the F1 on the same weekend. Minardi engineers will be setting up those cars and will be reading the telemetry.

So Minardi are effectively getting free track time with a known configuration,
    A view is that they will be able to translate that informatino to assist in the setting up and further developemt of their own F1 cars.

The F1x2 is a sperate part of Minardi with it's own finances, team and equipment. But it's farily obvious information will flow.

Now it will never be the edge that will make Minardi able to beat Ferrari, but it could be enough for them to get ahead of Jordan, et al and become a consistent mid-pack team.

Why don't struggling teams like Minardi turn to sportscar racing? Even Minardi's meager F1 budget could probably field a car capable of winning Le Mans. F1 is good but I think sportscar racing should be the top motorsport.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Now it will never be the edge that will make Minardi able to beat Ferrari, but it could be enough for them to get ahead of Jordan, et al and become a consistent mid-pack team.
    I agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by NAZCA C2
    Why don't struggling teams like Minardi turn to sportscar racing? Even Minardi's meager F1 budget could probably field a car capable of winning Le Mans. F1 is good but I think sportscar racing should be the top motorsport.
    money
    Sports car budgets is a fraction of F1.
    That measn sponsorship is a fraction.

Minardi obviously decide it is better to be a small fish in a large pond.

One local sponsor for a GP is likely more than a GT team gets for a whole season.

Good on them its good to se someone do this for the people and we can only hope itll help minardi along....

Thread Information