Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorsportnerd's Motorsport Quiz

What year was mark skaifes first bathurst?

What car did Dick Johnson First race in?

Who is the most sucsessful Australian Rally champion? (and its not the obvious one)

And avery easy one who was the nations cup chamapion last year?

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon500

Who is the most sucsessful Australian Rally champion? (and its not the obvious one)

#1 dont know

#2 Peter 'Possum' Bourne . Australasia's most successful rally driver, with seven national titles, the 47-year-old New Zealander had lain in a coma in Dunedin Hospital since his April 18 car crash.

Subaru Rally Team Australia – the most successful team in the history of the Australian Rally Championship

#3 Paul STOKELL, Lamborghini Diablo GTR , 424 points, 9 wins

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon500

1. 1987 in a Nissan Gazelle sharing with Grant Jarrett. Finished 19th outright and 7th in class (against BMW M3s).
    2. Holden Torana XU1. Won a Queensland Touring Car Champ or two in the car and Dick Johnson's first Bathurst was in 1973 also in a Holden Torana XU1 sharing with Bob Forbes. Finished 5th.
    Now Falc, do you know which car Johnson drove in the 1974 Bathurst 1000? It was for a factory team and it was European...
    3. You said Australian, so that discounts Possum Borne. I think it was Greg Carr.

Quote Originally Posted by motorsportnerd
    1. 1987 in a Nissan Gazelle sharing with Grant Jarrett. Finished 19th outright and 7th in class (against BMW M3s).
    2. Holden Torana XU1. Won a Queensland Touring Car Champ or two in the car and Dick Johnson's first Bathurst was in 1973 also in a Holden Torana XU1 sharing with Bob Forbes. Finished 5th.
    Now Falc, do you know which car Johnson drove in the 1974 Bathurst 1000? It was for a factory team and it was European...
    3. You said Australian, so that discounts Possum Borne. I think it was Greg Carr.
    Very good....
    Hist first race car was an FJ holden he then later moved into an EH before he got int the toroanas so partial credit for wide known history and that would be a Alfa GTV with John French...and from memory it didnt finish
    3. Well there are amny greats but many cant rival his 5 championships...BUT he has also won nearly every class hes raced in at least once...and he also has the best rcord of any australian outside out country so there was mild liberty taken but notmany can boast a record like that argue if you must....

Falc, I assume you're saying Bourne is the most successfull Australian rally champion. Fair enough. Trust the Aussies to claim a successful NZer as one of their own though.
    There are other top Aust rally drivers though, esp George Fury and Colin Bond, both of whom did well at Bathurst.

Thanks for the reminder on Johnson's first car. The XU1 stuck in my head for some reason. Forgot about his earlier Holdens. And right about the Alfa, and yes, it DNF'ed.

Now Falc, you must know the answer to question 14 in my quiz...

Also, lets ask a broad range of quiz questions and not concentrate just on Australian motorsport. I'll ask questions on a wide range in this thread...not just limit it to questions which only Aust motorsport fans can answer.
    Last edited by motorsportnerd; 06-06-2004 at 07:16 AM.

[QUOTE=motorsportnerd]14. How many times has Jim Richards won the Bathurst 1000?QUOTE]
    1st 1978-1980, 1991, 1992, 1998 Bathurst 1000 and a further 2 more with markskaife so 7 in total....he has also won more chapionships then peter brock and is a better driver imo...bathurst is pretigious and hard...championships show better stuuf in general
    1st 1985, 1987, 1990, 1991 Australian Touring Car Championship
    1st 2000 & 2001 GT-P Nations Cup
    1st 2003 carrera cup
    alsohas achievements outside of the atcc as well as as many wins in targa tassie as bathursts....

14. How many times has Jim Richards won the Bathurst 1000?
    Answer is indeed 7. Thanks Falc. And my admiration of Richards is well known. I've discussed this with you before. But I didn't realise you thought he was/is better than Brock...

So that leaves us with questions 3, 6, 8, 12, 16 & 20 still to be answered.

20. Who won the 1984 Le Mans 24 hour race and what car did they drive?
    1984 Porsche 956B K.Ludwig, H.Pescarolo i have many talents...and some interesting reading material

Surely some WRC fan knows the answer to question 16?

well i love WRC as you can prob tell, they are the only questions i answered

Carlos Sainz / Luis Moya Subaru

is that rite ?
    Cedric - I sound like a chipmunk on there. Some friends of mine were like, "were you going through puberty?" I was like, no I was already 20, I just sound like a girl.

question #3

Question #3

was it the 1997 european grand prix?

Questions 8 and 12

#8 - Ravaglia in the M3

#12 - Dieudonne in an RX-7

More answers.

3. At which grand prix and in which year did Mika Hakkinen win his first Grand Prix?
    Answer: 1997 European Grand Prix. Well done mawi427.

8. Who won the 1987 World Touring Car Championship and what car did he drive?
    Answer: Roberto Ravaglia, BMW M3. Well done mawi427.

12. Who won the 1981 Spa 24 hour race and what car did they drive?
    Answer: Tom Walkinshaw, Pierre Dieudonne, Mazda RX7. mawi427 got that one as well. You forgot about the Scotsman though..

20. Who won the 1984 Le Mans 24 hour race and what car did they drive?
    Falc, you got this one. Left out one driver though. Answer: Klaus Ludwig, Henri Pescarolo, Stefan Johansson. Porsche 956B.

That leaves us with questions 6 and 16 still to go.
    No New Zealanders out there know enough about NZ's motorsport heritage to know the answer to question 6? A clue, he drove a Brabham and died from a heart attack while competing at Bathurst in 1992.
    And really, no one knows who the 1995 WRC champion was? He was from Scotland. Does that help? And Mustang123, you have the right manufacturer.

No New Zealanders out there know enough about NZ's motorsport heritage to know the answer to question 6? A clue, he drove a Brabham and died from a heart attack while competing at Bathurst in 1992.
    Dennis Hulme?

6. Who is the only World Champion Grand Prix driver from New Zealand, and which year did he win?
    Answer: Denis Hulme, 1967, Brabham.
    DP, you actually had it right earlier in the thread. But you were wrong in saying he never won the championship. He did...

So just one more left for this first set of twenty.

Who was the 1995 World Rally Champion and what car did he drive?
    We know it was a Subaru. Which driver? I can give one more hint. He's driving a Ferrari at LeMans this weekend...

colin mcrea

i take it that my answer to number 16 was rite seen as this was the 9only question left to answer
    Cedric - I sound like a chipmunk on there. Some friends of mine were like, "were you going through puberty?" I was like, no I was already 20, I just sound like a girl.

Thread Information