Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Top Gear - Series 19

Top Gear - Series 19

I have to say, I had been quite disappointed with the first episodes of the latest Top Gear series. First one was particularly uninteresting, and second one while better, still didn't cut the mustard. Either the US trip was too long or they couldn't make it entertaining enough.

And yet last week's show was a return on form. It was a proper car show and properly interesting. The GT86 part remind of why I am a petrolhead and then the challenge to San Siro felt like a proper tribute to another great petrolhead, Carroll Shelby.

I couldn't understand Amy MacDonald at all, but I got the feeling she likes Audis. A shame.

Thoughts?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Agree with most of it Ferrer.

The Clarkson P45 item was just oo long and indulged his ego too much
    Annoyed they left the GT86 on stock rubber for the TG lap. Any enthusiast is going to dump the stock for some decent rubber - just as RX-8 owners did with the as slippery 040s.
    And don't diss a Scottish accent - especially from a good looking burd
    SHe's forgiven for liking the Audis as the list of ownership seemed to consist of each more powerful/faster variant of the R8
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I would have figured all you weird European ethnic minorities would stick together! ... and who doesn't like the way she says "ooh, noo!"

In previous seasons this was me: A Top Gear superfan writes Sniff Petrol, but I have decided to relax a bit and just go with the flow of the show. Sure, the P45 was stupid, but, while watching the next show by myself, I literally laughed out loud when Clarkson drove backwards over the musical road. I don't usually do that when alone. The bananas in the exhaust was also funny, but removing the fuses seemed most unBritish and unsporting.

I don't remember much from the first episode, but that says most of what needs to be said. I guess it did remind me to check out Homeland at some point.

The second episode had the aforementioned funny moments, but it wasn't quite there. I tend to prefer their longer trips; more than two features an episode crowds the episode and detracts from each individual feature. That said, the US trip's individual featurettes within the larger trip lacked cohesion: there was no stringing together of Arizona, Willow Springs, L.A. River, Mexican Border etc... they did a lot of teleporting. The Fleetwood interview wasn't my thing; Clarkson needs to stop dicking around and interview a hologram of either Bonzo or Moon so he can stop pursuing that vein.

The third episode didn't quite have the same sidesplitting moments of the second, but it stuck to the most enduring of Top Gear formulae: review of a car pertinent to our interests as gearheads, race in a car that the presenters pretend not to like but actually do, and a pretty "burd" in the RPC who says "ooh, noo!"

Also: http://www.sniffpetrol.com/issue002.html
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I couldn't understand Amy MacDonald at all, but I got the feeling she likes Audis. A shame.
    Pff. Maybe Catalans speaking Spanish sound like Scots speaking English to... all other English speakers. Hmm.

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    In previous seasons this was me: A Top Gear superfan writes Sniff Petrol, but I have decided to relax a bit and just go with the flow of the show. Sure, the P45 was stupid, but, while watching the next show by myself, I literally laughed out loud when Clarkson drove backwards over the musical road. I don't usually do that when alone. The bananas in the exhaust was also funny, but removing the fuses seemed most unBritish and unsporting.
    I really love that Top Gear superfan bit. Matra a few seasons ago (screw series) extolled the show's virtues and that made me reassess it. It's fine as is. I have quite liked the past few seasons, partly helped by watching the episodes when they were fresh.

This season has been slightly less enjoyable, but I don't mind. I watch the clock on Sunday and get ready to watch it by entirely legal means.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    And don't diss a Scottish accent - especially from a good looking burd
    SHe's forgiven for liking the Audis as the list of ownership seemed to consist of each more powerful/faster variant of the R8
    She indeed coke-bottleish if you know what I mean...

The R8 is intriguing but I prefer far worse cars like Maseratis and Astons.

I know, I'm strange.
    Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post

I don't remember much from the first episode, but that says most of what needs to be said. I guess it did remind me to check out Homeland at some point.

The second episode had the aforementioned funny moments, but it wasn't quite there. I tend to prefer their longer trips; more than two features an episode crowds the episode and detracts from each individual feature. That said, the US trip's individual featurettes within the larger trip lacked cohesion: there was no stringing together of Arizona, Willow Springs, L.A. River, Mexican Border etc... they did a lot of teleporting. The Fleetwood interview wasn't my thing; Clarkson needs to stop dicking around and interview a hologram of either Bonzo or Moon so he can stop pursuing that vein.

The third episode didn't quite have the same sidesplitting moments of the second, but it stuck to the most enduring of Top Gear formulae: review of a car pertinent to our interests as gearheads, race in a car that the presenters pretend not to like but actually do, and a pretty "burd" in the RPC who says "ooh, noo!"

Also: http://www.sniffpetrol.com/issue002.html
    Oh, don't get me wrong, it's still brilliant TV, but I've always wanted to watch all the other episodes after I watched them for the first time, but this time it didn't happen in the fist to episodes of this series.

I also laughed in the US trip backwards driving moment, but I felt the fighter plane part was too long, and the track had far more potential, like longest power slide or taller reverse gear ratio, I don't know.

I guess it may also have somthing to do with the cars in the third episode being favourites of mine, rather than just ok (or not uo my street in some cases) in the first two episodes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Pff. Maybe Catalans speaking Spanish sound like Scots speaking English to... all other English speakers. Hmm.
    We do.

We do.

Or something.
    Visca Catalunya!

It all feels kinda same old same old though. Still the great production value, just a "been there, done that" feel to everything. Also, the tribute to Shelby was a bit short on the mark, especially the bit of him not being quite as good a driver. Considering he drives with a heart condition, the fact that he had a career driving cars before become the guy people loves him for is already remarkable. But they also neglect to mention he actually WON 24 hours of Le Mans, in an Aston Martin, that is still the ONLY overall win that marque has achieved in its storied history....big fail, IMO.

American car bashing still is getting old. It would've been interesting too if he had taken the trip in a ZL1, with its MR dampers and considerably longer cruising range, if he would be as beat up by the end of it....

Realistically too, testing the cars with the tires they come with is proper practice I think, otherwise everyone are going to shod the car with some R-comp. And in the end that also defeats the point of building a "fun" car as opposed to a fast one....That lap time is still faster than E46 M3's time, which I assume is also wet or damp....because those things are not exactly slow...

BTW the "Oh nooo", that was brilliant....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Also, the Bentley on the WRC stage, that was pretty solid...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    American car bashing still is getting old. It would've been interesting too if he had taken the trip in a ZL1, with its MR dampers and considerably longer cruising range, if he would be as beat up by the end of it....
    I'd get over the standard "Amercian cars are rubbish" Top Gear mantra. I'd say Clarkson genuinely liked the supercharged Shelby.

And anyway, my car is japanese and it's noisy and it rattles. So there's that.
    Visca Catalunya!

RM, yeah I felt they under-played Shelby, but maybe reasonable given his impact on cars rather than driving is greater ? Maybe just the BAD cars he put his name to over the years also affects the image

and yes, how the hell they got Bentley to agree for the gravel stage astounds me Especially given Piper v Hales in recent UK court case

oh ... and when Scots lasses so "ooooh, yeeeeeesssss" it's even better sound
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    oh ... and when Scots lasses so "ooooh, yeeeeeesssss" it's even better sound
    Questionable.

Definitely not Dundonians.

ye weren't trying hard enough Cameron

Has this show not become a caricature of itself?

Quote Originally Posted by LTSmash View Post
    Has this show not become a caricature of itself?
    No.. it's always been silly.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    No.. it's always been silly.
    The cachet of the series must have worn off of me then. It seems to gradually get more OTT.

Quote Originally Posted by LTSmash View Post
    The cachet of the series must have worn off of me then. It seems to gradually get more OTT.
    Well, at least they don't try to crash an helicopter into a Corvette like some other blokes do...
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information