Thread: Lancia Montecarlo Turbo in full detail, new Bugatti record breaker and Polestar Volvo

Lancia Montecarlo Turbo in full detail, new Bugatti record breaker and Polestar Volvo

In the late 1970s Lancia returned to circuit racing for the first time since time in over two decades, having focused their competition effort on rallying in the meantime. Pulling out all the stops, Lancia Corse with the help of Abarth created the Beta Montecarlo Turbo. This Group 5 silhouette racer was loosely based on the mid-engined Beta road car and was powered by a diminutive, turbo-charged four. This qualified the car for the under two-litre class, which the Montecarlo Turbo promptly dominated between 1979 and 1981. Thanks to its low weight, the compact machine was also able to race nose to tail with the much larger engined Porsche 935s, taking several outright victories. Today we have taken a closer look at this menacing machine with a detailed history, illustrated by an 18-shot gallery of two different examples.
    Bugatti was recently stripped of their top speed record for road cars because it required the limiter to be removed, which the Guinness Book of Records considers a modification. The VW subsidiary bounced back by setting a new record for open cars with the Veyron 16.4 Grand Sport Vitesse WRC. Not to be confused with a rally racer, this is short for the World Record Car. At VW's Ehra-Lessien test-track, Chinese racer Anthony Liu reached a speed of 408.83 km/h or 254.04 mph. Bugatti will build eight more examples of the Grand Sport Vitesse WRC, priced at a modest 1.99 million Euro.
    Following the mental 508bhp S60 Polestar Concept show in LA last year, Volvo and tuning company have now released the production version of the S60 Polestar. It is powered by a 344 bhp version of the T6 engine and boasts a tweaked chassis for improved handling. Because of the Aussies' love for high performance saloons, the S60 Polestar will for now only be available in Australia. If there is sufficient demand, it could be made available to other markets.

Enjoy the links:

2013 Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Grand Sport Vitesse WRC - Images, Specifications and Information

1979 - 1982 Lancia Beta Montecarlo Turbo - Images, Specifications and Information

2013 Volvo S60 Polestar - Images, Specifications and Information
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Ok, I've noticed a fair amount of grammatical and spelling errors over the past few news items.

Wouter, let me preface this by saying I think you have a great writing style, but some potential translation problems and niggling typos creep up. I am far from a good writer or grammarian, but imma try to clean up the most recent article. If others want to chip in (ahem hellz13), please do. Note: I could be way off.

In the late 1970s Lancia returned to circuit racing for the first time in over two decades, having focused their competition effort on rallying in the meantime. Pulling out all the stops, Lancia Corse, with the help of Abarth, created the Beta Montecarlo Turbo.

[Alternatively, you can say "With the help of Abarth, Lancia Corse created the Beta Montecarlo Turbo." This seems to be a common mistake. Maybe it is sentence structure in Dutch vis a vis English? I believe what you have posted, without commas, is a no-no. Potentially akin to Star Trek's: "To Boldly Go..."]

This Group 5 silhouette racer was loosely based on the mid-engined Beta road car and was powered by a diminutive, turbocharged [no hyphen/n-dash needed] four. This qualified the car for the under two litre [maybe here too] class, which the Montecarlo Turbo promptly dominated between 1979 and 1981. Thanks to its low weight, the compact machine was also able to race nose to tail with the much larger engined Porsche 935s, taking several outright victories. Today we have taken a closer look at this menacing machine with a detailed history, illustrated by an 18shot [ditto?] gallery of two different examples.

Bugatti was recently stripped of their top speed record for a production road car [am I right?] because [the previous record holder,] the Veyron SS[,] required the limiter to be removed, which the Guinness Book of Records considers a modification. The VW subsidiary bounced back by setting a new record for open production cars with the Veyron 16.4 Grand Sport Vitesse WRC. Not to be confused with a rally racer, WRC [in this instance] is short for the World Record Car. At VW's Ehra-Lessien test track [no hyphen], Chinese racer Anthony Liu reached a speed of 408.83 km/h or 254.04 mph. Bugatti will build eight more examples of the Grand Sport Vitesse WRC, priced at a modest 1.99 million Euro. [Beautiful dry wit here!]

Following the mental [potentially offensive?] 508bhp S60 Polestar Concept shown in LA last year, Volvo and tuning company Polestar have now released the production version of the S60 Polestar. It is powered by a 344 bhp version of the T6 engine and boasts a tweaked chassis for improved handling. Because of the Aussies' love for high performance saloons, the S60 Polestar will for now only be available in Australia. If there is sufficient demand, it could be made available to other markets.
    Still, very good style!

Thank you for your input. I have edited the news feature where I saw fit. If you have any further suggestions, please don't hesitate to contact us.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

No problem. It reads better now.

Thread Information