During the company's first foray into Formula 1, BMW used a stock block to create one of the most powerful Formula 1 engines ever produced. This M12/13 was used most effectively in the radical Brabham BT52 designed by Gordon Murray for the 1983 season. Developed to suit the new flat-bottom regulations, the BT52 had a very unusual arrow-shape with all the weight focused over the rear wheels for maximum traction. Other novelties used by Brabham that year were tyre-ovens and high-pressure refuelling rigs for pit-stops, which were very unusual at the time. In the hands of Brazilian Nelson Piquet, the BMW-engined Brabham was particularly successful. He scored four wins on his way to the first World Championship won by a turbocharged F1 car. At the recent Goodwood Festival of Speed, Piquet was reunited with a freshly restored Brabham BT52 BMW and we used this rare opportunity to grab every angle of this unique machine. The result is a detailed article, illustrated by a 26-shot gallery.
A BMW of a completely different order, the i3, was launched at three different places at the same time; New York, London and Beijing. It is the first production car in BMW's new 'i' range of electric vehicles. It uses a 170 hp electric motor driving the rear wheels. A small petrol range extender is available as an option, which increases the car's range from 160 km to 300 km. The i3 tips the scales at just 1,195 kg courtesy of a lightweight chassis that consists of carbon-fibre and alloy components. Breaking more new ground, the BMW i3 can be ordered through various channels including direct from BMW over the internet. The car will enter production later this year and will retail in Germany for EUR 34,950.

Enjoy the links:

2013 BMW i3 - Images, Specifications and Information

1983 Brabham BT52 BMW - Images, Specifications and Information