Thread: 2013 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance report and 430-shot gallery ...

2013 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance report and 430-shot gallery ...

As always, the Monterey car week culminated on Sunday with the annual Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance. The prestigious event attracted close to 250 of the worlds best vehicles ranging from early horseless carriages to the latest supercars. Among the featured marques this year were Lincoln, Simplex and Vanvooren, while the centenary of Aston Martin and the 50th anniversaries of Lamborghini and the Porsche 911 were also celebrated. The day ended with the 'Best of Show' picked from the various class winners by the honorary judges. They picked a beautiful Packard, which was only the second American winner during the last two decades. The event actually started a few days earlier with the traditional Tour d'Elegance on some of the country's most scenic roads. The route this year also included a lap around the nearby Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca.
    For the tenth consecutive year, our photographers were at Pebble Beach to capture the Concours d'Elegance and Tour d'Elegance in their entirety. The result of their combined efforts is this detailed report and two galleries with a total of 430 shots.
    In the coming days we will continue our coverage of the Monterey week with further reports from the events and record-breaking auctions. These will be followed by individual features on many of the great cars that were shown and/or raced in Monterey last week.
    Meanwhile, Ferrari announced the 458 Speciale, which is due to be released in Frankfurt next month. Packed with the latest technologies, it features an uprated version of the naturally aspirated 4.5 litre V8, which now produces over 600 hp.

Enjoy the links:

2013 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance - Report and Slideshow

2013 Ferrari 458 Speciale - Images, Specifications and Information
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Wouter and henk, which were your personal favorites from the week's proceedings?

Your coverage of the Lincolns is mine.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    Wouter and henk, which were your personal favorites from the week's proceedings?

Your coverage of the Lincolns is mine.
    when flying home last night I was thinking about that, and also about the fact that "Elegance", the criterion by which the Honorary Judges choose the best of show, apparently has stopped to be applied to cars since WWII. Every time (except one) a prewar car has won the "BoS" award (The exception was a Maserati Mistral, ages ago)

I personally think that the class winning BMW 507 is much more elegant than the Packard that won, but perhaps we would have to have a closer look at the definition of "Elegance" Also the Alfa Romeo Superflow IV is more pleasing to my eyes than the Packard. And then there was the Miura SV that won the Lambo class. For me that would have been a worthy winner this year.
    Last edited by henk4; 08-21-2013 at 08:17 AM.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thread Information