Thread: T400R, T440R & Typhon

T400R, T440R & Typhon

TVRs have always been fast and as spectacular to drive as they are to look at. With the T440R, those traditional strengths have been taken to an altogether higher level. Its stunning bodywork is all carbonfibre, its massively strong chassis uses aluminium honeycomb to greatly improve its stiffness, and its hugely powerful engine is connected to TVR's own six speed sequential gearbox. It is TVR's technological tour de force, a 215 mph showcase for TVR's abilities.

Three versions of the car are available - the T400R which has a 400 bhp 4 litre engine, the 4.2 litre 440 bhp T440R and the new supercharged version named the Typhon. When first announced, the Typhon was meant to have only 500 bhp but all the tests have shown that the supercharged engine is still well within its comfort zone pumping out a staggering 585 bhp at 7,000 rpm and 467 lb-ft of torque at 5,000 rpm. It has twin intercoolers and the centrifugal supercharger is driven by a belt off the crankshaft. It also benefits from sequential injection.

With its carbonfibre bodywork, identical in weight to that of the Le Mans cars, its power to weight ratio is a quite extraordinary 530 bhp per tonne. 60 mph comes up in less than 4 seconds but it is from there to its top speed of over 215 mph that the Typhon really leaves the competition standing. To cope with all that power, the car has not just a new chassis, but a new type of chassis. Designed from the ground up with the aid of sophisticated CAD/CAM software, the rigidity of the steel chassis is added to significantly by the race-type rollcage and the use of aluminium honeycomb and carbonfibre for the floor. Also a first for a roadgoing TVR is to have adjustable dampers whereby customers will be able to fine-tune the suspension set up of their cars for road or circuit use.

You can count the number of road cars that have had all-carbonfibre bodywork on the fingers of one hand - Mclaren F1, Ferrari Enzo and now Typhon. More normally found in the aerospace or Motorsport industries, this material is expensive but is extraordinarily light and strong.

Aerodynamics have played an increasingly significant role in the design of TVRs over the last few years and these cars take this to the logical next level. A lot of attention has been paid to drag and lift with the result that its coupé shape owes most of its from to the demands of the aerodynamicists. A phenomenally low drag co-efficient of 0.32 is the result of all this attention to detail and its virtually flat floor, front splitter and rear diffuser work together to give it unparalleled high speed stability.

The interior reflects its race car underpinnings with a distinctly minimalist style pervading the interior. Unusually, the carbonfibre and aluminium structure of the car is highly polished and left on show, giving the cabin a utilitarian but extremely high quality feel. The seats are unique to the model and are manufactured from carbonfibre but trimmed from the highest quality Scottish hides. The T400R is now £74,995, the T440R is £79,995 and the Typhon is £84,995. Such is the demand for these models that the waiting list currently stands at two years and is steadily climbing.

Source : TVR Engineering
    •·.·´¯`·.·• DarkPhenix •·.·´¯`·.·•
    •·.·´¯`·.·• Underground Sounds of Lisbon •·.·´¯`·.·•

Quote Originally Posted by DarkPhenix
    When first announced, the Typhon was meant to have only 500 bhp but all the tests have shown that the supercharged engine is still well within its comfort zone pumping out a staggering 585 bhp at 7,000 rpm and 467 lb-ft of torque at 5,000 rpm. It has twin intercoolers and the centrifugal supercharger is driven by a belt off the crankshaft. It also benefits from sequential injection.
    That engine is fantastic

585bhp, restricted DOWN from 680bhp

Mr Wheeler was concerned that, like the Cerbera Speed 12, it was too powerful, especially with the relatively small rear wheels.
    Thanks for all the fish

Overkill???

I can't help thinking TVR may have gone a bit overboard with the power output of the Typhon. With that much power, such little weight and such slim rear tyres I fear that on all but the smoothest of surfaces the Typhon will struggle desperately for grip. I don't know if any of you have seen 'Martin Brundle's Supercars' DVD that was out around last Xmas. The ex-F1 driver drove a T440R on the open road and on Oulton Park race circuit and said that with 'just' 440bhp he found the car too extreme and raw for his tastes. Adding an extra 140bhp and a whole load more torque will no doubt increase the scariness even further. While it's all well and good having the bragging rights over the power/weight ratios and headline output figures the real test will be the chassis' ability to handle all that grunt. I can forsee the slightest tickling of the loud pedal whilst cornering will have the back stepping out of line with alarming regularity. I hope I'm wrong and the car turns out to be fantastic but I have my doubts.

T440R LeMans
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

Personally i like the looks of the Le Mans more
    To Some, a rusted out 1989 GMC Suburban* is trash

But to Me, its home

*ooos and ahhhhhs*
    have fun with all my attached pictures guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    T440R LeMans
    pedantic
    They are T400R's
    /pedantic

T400R - Race cars. You could have a road version, but you'd have to be mad...
    T440R - Because this is only 5 grand more, but you'd have to be mad...
    Typhon - Because this has an extra 145hp, and is only 5 grand more.

The "Purple Monsters" have a wider track this year, and feature revised bodywork.

Any Hi-res pics would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks for all the fish

would post some but the thing is saying there is a file size limit of 488.3Kb and my pics are 529Kb+ each

edit: here's the only one small enough, nice interior though
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TheNothing; 06-10-2004 at 01:58 PM.
    the artist formerly known as lllHlll lllAlll lllL lllOlll

Thread Information