Thread: Engine FIRING ORDER

Engine FIRING ORDER

How does it get done?
    And why in some engines power improvement gets done by "a new firing order"?
    I can go more specific in this matter, my thoughts are on older engines like the Bugatti straight 8's.

Quote Originally Posted by amc View Post
    How does it get done?
    I can go more specific in this matter, my thoughts are on older engines like the Bugatti straight 8's.

perhaps the change in firing order can affect the balance of the engine, allowing it to rev higher and produce more power?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    perhaps the change in firing order can affect the balance of the engine, allowing it to rev higher and produce more power?
    Thats exactly it. V8s are the best example. When it comes to high performance V8s, their are two schools of thought, high revs or high torque. High torque motors use a cross plane crank shaft that is very heavy, but smoother. High revving v8s have a flat plane crankshaft that is extremely light. To accommodate these different crankshafts, they require different firing orders., among other things.
    "Don't think your time on bad things
    Just float your little mind around"
    Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by amc View Post
    How does it get done?
    Yes, because of engine balance
    [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_balance"]Engine balance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

A more clear example is small block Ford 302 V8. When they got onto bigger displacement withing same block dimensions - the 351 - it started breaking cranks! So they made a 4/7 cylinder firing order swap (involving a new cam) and the cranks felt a lot better!
    Regarding flat plane cranks being used in racing - it's because of the proper exhaust tuning, which you don't get in a cross-plane V8, unless you have an ability to crossover an engine in GT40 style.

The firing order is the sequence of power delivery of each cylinder in a multi-cylinder reciprocating engine.
    This is achieved by sparking of the spark plugs in a gasoline engine in the correct order, or by the sequence of fuel injection in a Diesel engine. When designing an engine, choosing an appropriate firing order is critical to minimizing vibration, to improve engine balance and achieving smooth running, for long engine fatigue life and user comfort, and heavily influences crankshaft design.

Thread Information