Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tesla Cybertruck

Tesla Cybertruck

Uh, yeah. So we should talk about this. Wow.

This truck takes rectilinear to new levels. Would Gandini be proud!?

Tesla down 6% today. Analysts were loving it.

The idea of an electric pickup is intriguing, but as a wise person asked: "Who is the target customer?"

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post

The idea of an electric pickup is intriguing, but as a wise person asked: "Who is the target customer?"
    Mall crawlers. When did anyone think it was viable to bring an electric pickup truck overlanding in the Sahara somewhere? Good luck finding a Supercharger.

The very definition of a poser mobile. I was looking at some of the early first impressions and they're doing the Model 3 thing where every action is done through the central dashboard monitor. Everything from windshield wipers, indicators, HVAC controls, and transmission controls. Why did anyone think it was a good idea to remove good design convention from cars is beyond me and it's pissing me off. Anything that makes me need to think twice about how to turn and use my indicators gets an instant ban in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    The very definition of a poser mobile. I was looking at some of the early first impressions and they're doing the Model 3 thing where every action is done through the central dashboard monitor. Everything from windshield wipers, indicators, HVAC controls, and transmission controls. Why did anyone think it was a good idea to remove good design convention from cars is beyond me and it's pissing me off. Anything that makes me need to think twice about how to turn and use my indicators gets an instant ban in my mind.
    It's totally ridiculous. Tech forward for the sake of it.

For the record - Tesla Model 3 has a conventional indicator stalk and gear selector.

About the Cybertruck - as a potential customer, I just don't see it as a real thing. For me, it looks more like a scam (from the most valuable car company in the world ).
    Last edited by Revo; 11-24-2019 at 01:11 PM.

Revo, are you a potential EV customer or a potential pickup customer? I'd be interested in hearing how the two sides of that divide see this monstrosity.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

An electric pickup is an inherently cool idea... But one could naively argue that "electric" and "pickup" are two separate circles in a potential customer Venn diagram (based on probably untrue stereotypes).

Maybe this will build a market, along with the F-150E(?) and GM SilvElectrado.

I might get shot but I quite like the extreme rectangular design of it from some angles. Reminds me a bit of the wedge shaped designs of the '70's, which IMO is a good thing. For the rest I can't be bothered about it. Still not into electric cars although I know we can't stop the advancing technology of it.

Indeed the whole thing smells like a big publicity stunt (especially while breaking the windows 'by accident' upon the release - who knows). Anyhow, it is giving Tesla a lot of extra attention (and some lower stock ratings for a day, which I'm sure they will survive).

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    Revo, are you a potential EV customer or a potential pickup customer?
    Foremost, it is a car. I judge all the new cars from a potential customer's point of view - do I see myself driving it?

To me, Cybertruck is a half-assed effort. Unlike Model 3, which was a viable option from day one.

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Steel View Post
    I might get shot but I quite like the extreme rectangular design of it from some angles. Reminds me a bit of the wedge shaped designs of the '70's, which IMO is a good thing. For the rest I can't be bothered about it. Still not into electric cars although I know we can't stop the advancing technology of it.
    This is kind of where I am at. I am sure driving a crazy powerful electric car will be a great experience... But it is not yet cool. That is vital for the enthusiast market.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    An electric pickup is an inherently cool idea... But one could naively argue that "electric" and "pickup" are two separate circles in a potential customer Venn diagram (based on probably untrue stereotypes).

Maybe this will build a market, along with the F-150E(?) and GM SilvElectrado.
    I think a gas-electric hybrid would actually be a very viable pickup truck, similar to a locomotive actually because you can lean on the electric motors for towing and low end torque. Plus you can use the motors to charge the vehicle or use it to power the truck if you're out of battery power. I'm curious to see how well a fully electric pickup can fully withstand a full day of real work. I'm sure the Tesla would do fine as a mall crawler, but what if someone really hammered on it or used it at max towing capacity. I'd take a truck with a Cummins diesel any day.

Plus, Tesla can prove it can churn out cars/SUVs, but their service turnaround times are legendary. Google up Tesla repairs and take a look at how long it takes for owners to get body work or repair done. Tesla is particularly picky about who you can repair it with and it's causing huge backlogs on how quickly things get done. They've also been particularly bad about availability of spare parts. I think now that Porsche is in the game, I think they can potentially eat Tesla's lunch if they put out enough charging stations and bring the price down enough. Tesla's never been great at optimizing production of any of their cars and the more products they bring out, the more problems they'll encounter. The Model X's gullwing doors were truly unnecessary and caused a bunch of headaches for them as they don't use the gullwing doors anywhere else. Elon is good at hyping stuff up but when it comes down to truly delivering, he's not great at it.

It should have been called the Wedgetruck. A missed opportunity there, Tesla.

Other than that I'm siding with Revo on that one.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Not about the Cybertruck but about Tesla, I think it's really cool that Tesla can put 2 astronauts on the ISS when NASA couldn't figure out which way is up for the last 9 or so years.

Now if only Musk can stop killing people with its supposed autopilot and just focus on making great electric cars and rockets. That's all I need him to do.

Remember when Musk tweeted about taking Tesla private at $420 a share, late last year? And we laughed? I wish I woulda bought with some of the "gamble" money in my portfolio.

Telsa broke $1,000 today.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Not about the Cybertruck but about Tesla, I think it's really cool that Tesla can put 2 astronauts on the ISS when NASA couldn't figure out which way is up for the last 9 or so years.

Now if only Musk can stop killing people with its supposed autopilot and just focus on making great electric cars and rockets. That's all I need him to do.
    That's crazy. Just to be certain, that's Tesla the car company and not SpaceX, the rocket company right?

To be fair, Tesla makes the most viable product currently, but I just don't like the way they do it. They hype things up like crazy to generate preorders and market vaporware technology like autopilot like it's the second coming of Christ. Musk definitely tries to channel his inner Steve Jobs but he definitely doesn't speak like Steve Jobs. His interviews always end up awkward.

In any case, the stock market eats those sorts of news up- any new product launch, feature or press release. Musk knows that and panders directly to them. Let's see you try and buy a Tesla Semi Truck or a new Roadster.
    Last edited by NSXType-R; 06-12-2020 at 10:08 AM.

I think that Cybertruck is one of the most interesting cars in the whole line. Its exoskeleton and relatively affordable price are the 2 best features of the car in my opinion. On the other hand a tri-motor version with an 800-mile range will cost $100k+, I believe. That is my dream car I guess that this time I will also need to ask Carplus for help in finding car finance.
    Last edited by Cunde; 03-23-2021 at 02:20 PM. Reason: spelling correction

Thread Information