Thread: Toyota Camry (XV20) 1996-2002

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Toyota Camry (XV20) #4

Japan
    The Japanese market XV20s arrived in 1996, named Camry Gracia. Japanese sedans dropped the Gracia suffix in 1999, although it was retained by the wagon until its 2001 demise. The wagon was also sold in Japan as Toyota Mark II Qualis. It had no relation to the Mark II sedan (a rear-wheel drive executive car) besides the front and rear lights, which resembled those of the Mark II. The Mark II Qualis was also available in a 3.0G version, with the 3.0-liter V6 engine, not available on the Japanese market Camry. The Camry Gracia was sold only at Toyota Japanese dealerships called Toyota Corolla Store alongside the Camry, while its twin the Mark II Qualis was exclusive to Toyopet Store locations.

An equivalent model was launched as the Daihatsu Altis. It was only sold in Japan, and its production started from this generation. The Altis was introduced March 2000 as a flagship sedan for Daihatsu as a replacement for the Daihatsu Applause. Not very many Altis models were sold in Japan. This is because a typical Daihatsu is priced in the entry level pricing range, and the Altis was priced very similar to the comparable model Camry. The Altis was available with the 2.2-liter four-cylinder engine. Unlike the Camry, which is available as a sedan or wagon in Japan, the Altis sold only as a sedan. The name "Altis" is a variation of the word "altitude", implying a "high elevation" status as the top-level car for Daihatsu.

Source: Wikipedia

Even though this says Mark II on the rear, according to Wikipedia, it is more related to the Camry. Go figure.

On a side note, I think the Toyota Mark II and Chaser are some of my favorite Toyotas ever made. Late 80s/early 90s Japanese bubble economy cars are amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eehFbPSdcd4

I was so sad when I heard that Toyota was ending production on the Mark X series.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Man of Steel; 04-29-2020 at 06:42 AM.

Thread Information