Thread: Buick Riviera (8th gen) 1994-1998

Buick Riviera (8th gen) 1994-1998

The Buick Riviera is a personal luxury car that was marketed by Buick from 1963 to 1999, with the exception of the 1994 model year.

As General Motors' first entry into the personal luxury car market segment, the Riviera was highly praised by automotive journalists upon its high-profile debut. The ground-up design that debuted for 1963 was also Buick's first unique Riviera model, and it pioneered the GM E platform.

Unlike its subsequent GM E platform stablemates, the Oldsmobile Toronado and Cadillac Eldorado, the Riviera was initially a standard front engine/rear-wheel drive platform, only switching to front-wheel drive starting for 1979.

While the early models stayed close to their original form, eight subsequent generations varied substantially in size and styling. A total of 1,127,261 Rivieras were produced.

The Riviera name was resurrected for two concept cars that were displayed at auto shows in 2007 and in 2013.

Eighth generation (MY 1995–1999)
    After a hiatus in MY 1994, the Riviera returned in MY 1995 with radical styling that departed from the previous generations' traditional image. A 205 hp (153 kW) naturally aspirated 3800 V6 was standard, with a supercharged version rated at 225 hp (168 kW) and 275 lb⋅ft (373 N⋅m) available as an option. Rivieras were now built in Lake Orion, Michigan, riding the same Cadillac-derived G platform as the 4-door Oldsmobile Aurora. The first of 41,422 Rivieras made in 1995 rolled off the assembly line on May 23, 1994.

In 1996, supercharged versions saw an increase in power to 240 hp (179 kW) and 280 lb·ft (380 N·m), as well as the 4T60E-HD transmission. 18,036 Rivieras were manufactured in 1996.

1997 saw suspension revisions, removing excess weight. An upgraded 4T65E-HD transmission featuring a larger 258 mm (10.2 in) torque converter and heavy-duty gearbox were added. 18,827 were made in 1997.

For 1998, the 240 hp (180 kW) supercharged V6 became standard. GM's OnStar service was added as an option, along with minor interior design changes. 10,953 units were produced for 1998.

With sales of all coupes declining in the North American market, GM decided to discontinue the Riviera. 1999 was the car's last model year with production of 1,956 cars ceasing on November 25, 1998. The final 200 cars had special silver paint and trim, and were denoted "Silver Arrow" models, a designation which hearkened back to several Silver Arrow show cars that had been built off Riviera bodies by Bill Mitchell.

Eighth-generation Rivieras received the most powerful V-6 Buick engine since the Grand Nationals of the 1980s. The supercharged OHV V6 gave impressive torque and acceleration, pushing the car from 0 to 60 miles per hour (97 km/h) in under 7 seconds, and turning the ​1⁄4 mile in 15.5 seconds. Supercharged Rivieras achieved a fuel efficiency figure of 18/27 (city/highway mpg).

Source: Wikipedia
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Man of Steel; 02-20-2021 at 11:22 AM.
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

one of my favourite cars
    badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger

I hope your joking..

Quote Originally Posted by SilverG35SportC
    I hope your joking..
    The most recent design was loved among the design circles. Sure, it was huge, but it was more fresh and new than anything else on the road at the time.

still..a favourite?

Quote Originally Posted by SilverG35SportC
    still..a favourite?
    Why not?

I don't see how someone could dislike the most recent design. It's handsome, it flows, it follows with classic lines...the pictures don't do it justice. It looks a little blugy in these pics, one would have to see one in real life to understand.
    TOYNBEE IDEA IN KUBRICK 2001 RESURRECT DEAD ON PLANET JUPITER

Buick Riviera (8th gen) #2
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Buick Riviera (8th gen) #3
    Visca Catalunya!

Buick Riviera (8th gen) #4
    Visca Catalunya!

Buick Riviera (8th gen) #5
    Last edited by Man of Steel; 02-20-2021 at 11:23 AM.
    Visca Catalunya!

What amazes me is that the first, third, and final generations are all really good looking cars that are almost the prototypical American cars of their eras.

The first gen. incorporates just about every successful design cue of the mid-'60s: perfect hood/trunk/roof proportions, coke-bottle hips, and crisp aggressive styling and combines them into one of my favorite American cars.

The boattail third gen. isn't as good looking; including '70s stalwarts slightly-wonky proportions and confused fascia design, but it still looks good and retains an evocative shape that I think American cars were quickly losing at the time.

The final gen, loved by Beluga fetishists, came again as a breath of fresh air: rounded flowing lines, unique proportions, and again a very clean design. Like in the previous generations attractive styling, a venerable Buick mill (3800 in this case), and a rugged GM frame all came together to create desirable cars for their era.

Shame the other generations were such shit.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

As I said the 1st Generation Riviera is one of the best looking American cars ever made. I some aspects it remembers me of another of my favourites, and a contemporary of the Riviera, the Lincoln Continental. It posses the same timeless elegance, clean lines, presence and elegance of the Riviera; but while the Continental looks somewhat a little generic and featureless, the Riviera is distinctive and unique.

The 3rd Generation Riviera also looks unique, but in an ugly sort of way. So yes uniqueness can be good, but there's a reason why cars like the Pontiac Aztek or the second generation Renault Megane didn't prosper on the marketplace. The 2nd Generation is also generic but a little bit more pleasing to the eyes, from some angles it could even be called spectacular, like post #32 pic 6.

The 6th and 7th Generation are curious to me (and I suspect to many other Europeans) because of the radical notchback profile. Only some Volvos had a similar profile and they weren't all that popular outside Sweden, and perhaps the UK. So this styling trend strikes us as odd.

The last generation is again a good looking car. Though massive, its lines flow very well and the roundness of the design somewhat masks the enormity and gives it a very elegant stance. My only criticism would be round the back which is a little be too square and doesn't quite match the rest of the car. This is a problem that is shared with its cousin, the Oldsmobile Aurora, altough it is worse in the Olds.
    Visca Catalunya!

Buick Riviera (8th gen) #6

Buick Riviera (8th gen) #7

Thread Information