Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The best Toyota

Quote Originally Posted by Niko_Fx
    You keep giving me different numbers, now is 145HP where did you get those??

Matra how fast was it? The info that I found said that the Prius' 0-60 time is around 10 secs.
    0-62mph 10.9

As with electrics and CVT autos, it feels faster as the initial acceleration is high relative to auto/slush box/slipping clutch.

The confusion over power is because in reality there are 2 engines. Each can suppy power to the drive train in any combination up to a maximum.
    The specs in the brochure I picked up are
    76bhp from the petrol and 67 bhp from the electric and a total of 110bhp when going at 53mph.
    But add the 2 engines together and you get a theroitcal power output of 143bhp.
    I applaud Toyota for NOT saying that in their sales brochure

It's in the torque it really wins as electric motors will NOT be beaten pound-for-pound
    115Nm from the petrol, 400Nm from the electric and total of 478Nm at 14mph.

All computer controlled, nothing for the driver to do to decide 'optimal' running.
    I managed to do some motorway mileage and was getting 80+mpg ( and regularly it reporting 99.9 which is where the engine has shut off and it's using regenerative braking to maintain steady speed

It only weghs 1300Kg which for a car that size is not bad. Shame they couldn't work with some innovators like Matra who had a full size MPV of similar weight LONG time ago - and one of the best in crash tests !!!!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Karrmann
    I knew abot the Espace. the espace is something that can hold maybe another car, that thing can hold sooooooooooooooooo much stuff, but It won't caount in the states because renault was chased out in the 80's.
    Don't understand design much then

If only they weren't blind to borders they could learn much.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

oh I believe it.

Alright, the Prius, yes its a great car, and hybrids are a big step in the right direction. However, I'm with Niko Fx here, until they can get a hybrid down to 0-60 times in the 6-7 second range, I'm not interested. Yes fuel economy is what we need now and not speed so much, but I WANT SPEED. So until the make 'em faster (which I believe will happen sooner or later) I don't think a lot of people will be interested in them.

One more thing, soon hybrids are going to be outdated by fuel-cell powered cars, right? Or will the hybrid still have purpose once fuel-cell cars start selling to the public?
    VIVA FERRARI!!!!!!

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!" ~ Benjamin Franklin

If everything's under control, you're going too slow ~ Mario Andretti

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!" ~ [U]Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: A Savage Journey into the Heart of the American Dream[/U]

you are so wrong..... The Prius is so popular there is a shortage at dealorships nationwide

you are so wrong..... The Prius is so popular there is a shortage at dealorships nationwide
    Oh, well, I stand corrected.
    VIVA FERRARI!!!!!!

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!" ~ Benjamin Franklin

If everything's under control, you're going too slow ~ Mario Andretti

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!" ~ [U]Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: A Savage Journey into the Heart of the American Dream[/U]

egg nog set me correct and said it is 145
    We were both correct... I was just talking about the newer model, whose electric motor provides both more power and more torque

EDIT: One more thing... when my mother was looking at one, one of the features she liked best was how incredibly quiet it was. Not that I would really care about something like that (you should hear my 914 ), but it does make a difference to some people.
    Last edited by Egg Nog; 07-03-2004 at 02:07 PM.

yeah, that is another reason the prius is my favorite car.

i cant belive no one has said....

i dont know why any of you guys havent said the '94 celica GT4?!?!!? its a great looking, and definately sounding car, that car got me interested in rallying!

on the prius debate: no matter how quiet it will be, there will be some junky idiot, who puts this little chip on his engine and a CD in the player, that pretends to be a BOV... (no joke, a serious problem when things like that appear on the market)

i would like to see the prius with more power, but i would buy one if i won the lotto (after my subaru 22B and new GTB )
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

I think the best celica is the 91 GTR GTfour and GTfour RC, I would win the lotto , buy a Prius an dthe 3 celicas listed above

hmmm... talking about cellica.. there is a way cool cellica around a clinic where i visit alot (i'm sick lately)... TRD body kit and full HKS engine upgrade, turbo... too bad i didn't take a snapshot at it... not sure about the model tho as it is quite heavily modified.

talk about prius... hey how much is 377lb.ft in kg-m? or maybe someone can tell me how much 1kg-m2 is in lb.ft? i'm quite confuse here...

Quote Originally Posted by SilverArrowZ
    hey how much is 377lb.ft in kg-m?
    Metric torque is measured in Newton*metres, since a kilogram is not a measure of force like a pound is. Anyway, 377lb.ft is approximately 511 N.m

Toyota do NOT claim 511Nm in the UK.
    I think that is the theoritical maximum output of both engines and isnt' relly achievable in practice.
    They quote 478 Nm.

I think it parallels BHP at flywheel versus the road wheels. The former is ONLY good for bragging rights, the latter is ONLY what matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Toyota do NOT claim 511Nm in the UK.
    I think that is the theoritical maximum output of both engines and isnt' relly achievable in practice.
    They quote 478 Nm.

I think it parallels BHP at flywheel versus the road wheels. The former is ONLY good for bragging rights, the latter is ONLY what matters.
    Good point, Matra. As with all cars, this is the case, although, considering everything, a 32N.m loss seems quite small, doesn't it? The electric motor provides most of the torque, and I assume it would be a much more efficient mechanical delivery than the engine. Then again, it might just be regional variance in the model itself...

to niko:
    DAMMIT MAN THE PRIUS IS NOT AND UNDERPOWERED CAR MAN WTF ITS REGULAR. IF U COMPARE TO STUFF LIKE CIVIC AND FOCUS OF COURSE IT HAS SLOW ACCELRATION; CIVIC AND FOCUS HAVE MANUAL TRANSMISSION. also stop saying "i dont think its the best car" a bajillion times thnx we already know ur opinion and do not value it. ur definition of enough power of over 76 horsepower also means that the prius is NOT underpowered by ur standards because the prius has over 100. get your facts straight. and ur example of pulling 4 people up a hill is by the the crappiest yet. i thank you for ur tuime
    badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger

Thread Information