Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: BMW M5 (E60) Sedan 2005–2010

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    That's really strange. I thought that it would be a global thing. BMW really has to fix these stupid differences.

Also, considering that America prefers automatics, it makes it that much more weird.
    America prefers automatics but apparently in sporty or sportscars they prefer to shift gears themselves. Strange world indeed.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    In my opinion it's not only a problem of bad or good looks. I think the current BMW's look pretty bad, but the 5 series is probably one of the less ofensive. But the thing is the typical BMW owner, or at least the most notorious ones here are people who think the road is all theirs, they have no respect whatsoever fro other users of the road. Apart from that buying a german executive saloon is also the default choice, you don't have to even think about it. I prefer a perhaps less refined mechanically car, but with more character, say a Citroen C6 or a Lancia Thesis.
    You'd prefer a front wheel drive car that has nowhere near the heritage and performance of a BMW?

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    America prefers automatics but apparently in sporty or sportscars they prefer to shift gears themselves. Strange world indeed.
    I wonder about the root of this difference. One thing I was thinking about was the extra cost of cars in Europe where an automatic may cost proportionately more than an automatic in North America.

Maybe Europeans enjoy manuals because they are more involving but I somehow doubt this. If I had to guess it would be an economic reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    You'd prefer a front wheel drive car that has nowhere near the heritage and performance of a BMW?
    to this BMW, i'd prefer pretty much anything.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Yes. I particularly love the C6, it's an absolutely great car. Thing is we are talking about executive saloons here not sportscar so while I'd prefer rear wheel drive, all the attributes of the C6 more than make up for the lack of RWD. Or if I really needed rear drive I'd go with a CLS.
    I wonder about the root of this difference. One thing I was thinking about was the extra cost of cars in Europe where an automatic may cost proportionately more than an automatic in North America.

Maybe Europeans enjoy manuals because they are more involving but I somehow doubt this. If I had to guess it would be an economic reason.
    Not only the cost I'd say but also the shape of our roads and the size of our engines which made automatics (at least early ones when they were crude and unrefined and usually had a couple less ratios than manuals) unsuitable for us.

On the other hand you pretty much had straight flat roads with huge engines. Perfect for automatics.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I would like to discuss this, apart from your hate for the Thesis...

Both Lancia and Citroen has a great heritage for example, and BMW has a silly solution for better performance (considering we are talking about executive saloons) as the other German automakers: a bigger engine than others. they started the silly game of the 3.0 liters diesel engine in Europe while the they before a 2.5 with 40 hp less was fair enough. I actually find usless all that power on such cars, they are going lesser comfortable, but won't ever be as sporty as, for exmple a 3 Series.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Thread Information