Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Mini

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    What happened with the R5 you were thinking of getting ??
    It's in project. But I have bought the Mini cause the Porsche is too expensive when you try to drive it everyday. The tires are expensives lol. But I will buy this R5 but I don't know when cause I'm too busy this year. Perhaps next year, I hope. When I will get it I will send u some pictures of my mods it will be very very nice if u tell me what u think about that.
    Il me faut une caisse dans les 300 et le GPS

BMW Z3 1.9L (sold)
    Mercedes SLK 230 (sold)
    Jaguar XK8 (sold)
    Porsche 996 Carrera 4 (for sale)
    2004 Mini Cooper
    Mercedes 2005 SLK 55 AMG (ordered)

ITS A MINI ADVENTURE i think the car is awsome and the convertible S version very nice
    There is 3 people on a boat with loads of children running around it, the 3 people are: 1. Bob geldof, 2. Ozzy Osbourne, and 3. Micheal jackson, they're sailing out for the G8 live aid, they've hit a rock and they're sinking, bob says: "save the children!" ozzy says: "Fuc the children!"

Micheal says "have we got time?"

I despise the new Mini. I think it disgraces the 'Mini' name. It was named the Mini because it was so small (One of the smallest full time production cars ever) and very nimble. I mean, the Ford Ka is much smaller than the new Mini. And, think about this. 'Will the new Mini stay in production for over 40 years.' I think not somehow. I just think they should have kept the old Mini going as I still think it would look excellent as a new car today. I see what BMW has been trying to do with the Mini brand. Trying to make it more of an easy car to drive and live with. But that is not what it is about. The Mini is about a tiny car that is very focussed to the road. I just think the new Mini has missed the point.

PS: I own a 1991 Mini (Mayfair) and I love it. I am thinking about buying a Rover Mini Cooper (the last variation of Mini) as look so stunning or perhaps an old Mini Cooper S.

I like the new mini becasue you can personilize it more and you don't have to be a midget to fit in one......

Quote Originally Posted by RS6
    I despise the new Mini. I think it disgraces the 'Mini' name. It was named the Mini because it was so small (One of the smallest full time production cars ever) and very nimble. I mean, the Ford Ka is much smaller than the new Mini. And, think about this. 'Will the new Mini stay in production for over 40 years.' I think not somehow. I just think they should have kept the old Mini going as I still think it would look excellent as a new car today.
    Sorry but they could NEVER get it safe.
    If you own a Mini ( not BMW MINI ) then I recommend fitting a roll cage. You don't want to see what happens to an ordinary Mini shell in even simple accidents at lowish speeds.
    I just think the new Mini has missed the point.
    Well the original replacement Mini concept was underway long before BMW took over
    BMW have hit the point bang-on. That's why it sells so well. People want the IMAGE of the Mini more than it's handling/perofrmance etc.
    [QTEUO]PS: I own a 1991 Mini (Mayfair) and I love it. I am thinking about buying a Rover Mini Cooper (the last variation of Mini) as look so stunning or perhaps an old Mini Cooper S. [/QUOTE]
    Get a roll cage
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Karrmann
    I like the new mini becasue you can personilize it more and you don't have to be a midget to fit in one......
    That's a fallacy.

A friend at 6'3" drove a Mini for years and fitted comfortably.

Weighing 20st might be an issue getting that amount of mass up from the low position, but that would be true of 95% of the worlds sportscars
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

'Will the new Mini stay in production for over 40 years.'
    BMW have announced that the new new MINI, due 2007, will be redesigned from the ground up in an effort to cut costs.

Currently the MINI costs the same to build as a VW Passat, and sells for less.

Things that are up for the chop are:
    Clamshell bonnet - needs extra brackets to stop headlight units from vibrating.
    Rear Z axle - Gives the car its reknowned handling, but very expensive.
    Frameless windows - Needs extra motors for the drop down system to open/ close the doors.
    Door handles - Could be simplified.
    Two tone roof - Causing a production bottleneck painting the roof a different colour.

The Mk2 MINI will not be powered by the ancient GM sourced 1.6 unit (hewn from lumps of granite), but development with PSA on a small petrol unit is underway.

Thanks for all the fish

Nah, I don't think I will be getting a roll cage. What is the point in getting into a car if you are scared you are going to crash and die. If you are interested in being safe, don't drive a car at all.

Nah, I don't think I will be getting a roll cage. What is the point in getting into a car if you are scared you are going to crash and die. If you are interested in being safe, don't drive a car at all.
    The old mini is VERY weak on side impact at anything but straight on
    The main 'box' of the car is so low that cars often come over the top. In that case the roof provides NO protection.
    Brother's live was save in 2 cases. One was a lorry running into the back of him. If it hadn't been for the roll cage he would have had his head taken off.
    Mini's look nice with the rool cage in anyawy and they're not expensive.
    With the growth in SUV ( esp. USA ) then it only makes sense.

There's a fine line between being safe and silly.
    I don't drink water in Mexico City, I do in Seattle. Are those sensible choices ? Should I not drink at all ?? Or are sensible precautions precisely that

Well, when I move on to more expensive Minis (IE: The Cooper) I will think about putting a roll cage in. But I am just no prepared to spend money on a car that is worth so little.

Well, when I move on to more expensive Minis (IE: The Cooper) I will think about putting a roll cage in. But I am just no prepared to spend money on a car that is worth so little.
    Yeh, I've seen a couple of Mini's put up for sale in the UK and the tag line is "Roll cage for sale includes Mini"

Bolt-in cage is fine for road use and means you can move it along.
    We had the same cage in 3 Minis - the cage survived accidents the Mini's didn't

You can get a sexy-looking GNT polished alu one for about $300.
    Standard SD one is only $200 http://www.speedgenie.co.uk/avonbar/...safety1%2Ehtml

Gives the g/f something to hold onto in the back seat

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Yeh, I've seen a couple of Mini's put up for sale in the UK and the tag line is "Roll cage for sale includes Mini"

Bolt-in cage is fine for road use and means you can move it along.
    We had the same cage in 3 Minis - the cage survived accidents the Mini's didn't

You can get a sexy-looking GNT polished alu one for about $300.
    Standard SD one is only $200 http://www.speedgenie.co.uk/avonbar/...safety1%2Ehtml

Gives the g/f something to hold onto in the back seat
    Haha. When I get a Cooper I will probably do it up a bit. I suppose a roll cage would make it into more of a racing car and I could take it to track days without any complaint.
    Last edited by RS6; 07-17-2004 at 04:31 PM.

Thread Information