Page 46 of 59 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Thread: Which car do you HATE most?

wouldn't have a clue! i imagine so. i know that american couple that imported one to the US drag raced theirs before going circuit. tellingly you see them often at all sorts of historic race meets at various circuits around the country.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500 View Post
    That's true. I'll put it this way, then... did any owners of those Australian Mopars ever drag race them on the street? Either a formal race or an informal one? And were any of the owners interested in full throttle, straight-line acceleration?
    You wouldn't be attempting a 'manufactured outcome' with these absurd questions, eh Fleet?

In my 1955 VW Beetle I was interested - no, make that preoccupied - with full throttle, straight-line acceleration all the time - using every ounce of its 32.5 hp just to keep up with the trucks, buses and trams that were also going flat-strap on the street. Does that mean drivers of underpowered street vehicles are (gasp!) informal drag racers? Tram drivers use full throttle too, ya know.

By gee I've even been known to use max throttle offroad - on my lawn mower! And to be interested in maximum straight-line acceleration, even when I'm dragging my garden trailer - literally! Wow, even with 16 horsepowers I'm a lawn-based drag race hero

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    You wouldn't be attempting a 'manufactured outcome' with these absurd questions, eh Fleet?

In my 1955 VW Beetle I was interested - no, make that preoccupied - with full throttle, straight-line acceleration all the time - using every ounce of its 32.5 hp just to keep up with the trucks, buses and trams that were also going flat-strap on the street. Does that mean drivers of underpowered street vehicles are (gasp!) informal drag racers? Tram drivers use full throttle too, ya know.

By gee I've even been known to use max throttle offroad - on my lawn mower! And to be interested in maximum straight-line acceleration, even when I'm dragging my garden trailer - literally! Wow, even with 16 horsepowers I'm a lawn-based drag race hero
    Tell us, oh tell us your 1/4 mile time on the lawn mower......
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

... still going ...

(I'll get back to you)

... still going ...

(I'll get back to you)
    how good to see that your WIFI works on your lawn mower...keep going...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I am curious as to what the track times are for cars like the Corvette (manual VS auto) and Cadillac CTS (manual VS automatic)? Is there a noticeable difference in track times?
    I don't know about the times, and I'm not interested in the either, but somewhat all autos I've driven always find a way to change gear in the middle of the corner. Which is quite annoying.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I think your post just topped mine as far as being absurd. I mean when you start bringing lawn mowers into the subject.

You know exactly what I am talking about and I was challenging the claim that drag racing or racing on the street in a straight line was only done in the U.S in the '60s and '70s.
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I don't know about the times, and I'm not interested in the either, but somewhat all autos I've driven always find a way to change gear in the middle of the corner. Which is quite annoying.
    That doesn't happen with the old Mopar Torqueflite and GM Turbo-Hydramatics if you manually shift it. With both of those, if it's in 3rd gear and you shift down into 2nd to go around some corners or curves, the trans will stay in 2nd as long as the selector is in that gear. It won't shift up until it is done manually. And it won't shift down to 1st unless the car speed goes below about 12 mph which you would want it to go into 1st anyway.

That doesn't happen with the old Mopar Torqueflite and GM Turbo-Hydramatics if you manually shift it. With both of those, if it's in 3rd gear and you shift down into 2nd to go around some corners or curves, the trans will stay in 2nd as long as the selector is in that gear. It won't shift up until it is done manually. And it won't shift down to 1st unless the car speed goes below about 12 mph which you would want it to go into 1st anyway.
    Modern autos won't downshift or upshift if you control them manually usually, but then what's the point of having an auto at all?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Modern autos won't downshift or upshift if you control them manually usually, but then what's the point of having an auto at all?
    I'm not sure how modern ones operate, but autos make sense with older cars.
    Because of the choices available. You can manually shift through the gears yourself or leave it in "Drive" and let it shift automatically.

With my latest car (383 '66 Plymouth VIP) I have been shifting it manually about half the time just for fun and to make the rear tire chirp. I also downshift it a lot from 3rd to 2nd and sometimes 2nd to 1st.

As an example, here is a video of it going up a hill shifting manually from 1st to 2nd. Listen to the chirp at about 5 seconds into the video:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdocLRHvVng"]YouTube - 1966 Plymouth Fury Street Driving[/ame]
    Last edited by Fleet 500; 10-07-2009 at 03:06 PM.

using it like that is pretty much a tacit admission that you can't use a clutch, lol. "i wish i had a manual but can't use one"
    DSG's and the like are worse; less than cool, they're actually nerdy, for all their effectiveness.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    I guess I'm in the middle. I like both, I happen to drive an auto at the moment and am jonesing for a row-it-yourself trans, but when I had stick I missed automatics too. It depends on the vehicle; if I built another Mustang (unless it's a convertible like mine - more of a cruiser car), I'd pretty much only do stick, but something like an Impala, Galaxie, or Fairlane just seems to be better suited to use an automatic.

Keep in mind, too, that on turbo'd cars, automatics keep the boost up better and on just about any car, while an automatic won't necessarily drag race as fast, it will be more consistent.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

non-sequitor thread drift re-alignment protocol

How did a thread titled "Which car do you HATE most?" morph into this thread:

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...ore-manly.html

Can't synchonize left foot/right hand? No worries. Can't imagine driving anything with a slushbox? No worries. Drive what you like.
    I hate modern SUVs and ass-hat drivers, regardless of transmission choice. Equal opportunity derision here.
    Seems like quite a few of you guys have personal issues to work out.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

You know exactly what I am talking about and I was challenging the claim that drag racing or racing on the street in a straight line was only done in the U.S in the '60s and '70s.
    Where did anyone make that claim?
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by whiteballz View Post
    Where did anyone make that claim?
    Post #661.

Thread Information