Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: World’s smallest rotary internal combustion engine

Auckland, New Zealand & Balikpapan, Indonesia

World’s smallest rotary internal combustion engine

take a look at this

imagine having one of those in ur cellphone or laptop!
    "Rejection is better than regret. It's better to try and know you did your part, than to spend the rest of your days wishing you had tried"

wow that is amazing, you naver know they might train monkeys to drive mini vehicles one day with those powering it
    Cedric - I sound like a chipmunk on there. Some friends of mine were like, "were you going through puberty?" I was like, no I was already 20, I just sound like a girl.

Auckland, New Zealand & Balikpapan, Indonesia
    Quote Originally Posted by mustang123
    wow that is amazing, you naver know they might train monkeys to drive mini vehicles one day with those powering it
    monkeys speeding in mini vehicles... scary!!! hahahaha.... they mite run over the chickens who r trying to cross the road to get to the other side...
    "Rejection is better than regret. It's better to try and know you did your part, than to spend the rest of your days wishing you had tried"

Damn, the other day I heard than tha actual velocity of scaling down things (in electronics) are something like than you can make something in the half of the original size in just 18 months!!!! Its incredible, in a year and a half you got the same but in half the size of it!!

Quote Originally Posted by RaptoR
    Damn, the other day I heard than tha actual velocity of scaling down things (in electronics) are something like than you can make something in the half of the original size in just 18 months!!!! Its incredible, in a year and a half you got the same but in half the size of it!!
    It's called Moore's law - that computing power doubles every 18 months.

For the last few years they've been achieving it by shortening data paths.
    Before it was easier you just made things quicker.
    Now that it's getting close to quantuum levels, the Moore's Law will no longer apply so the next decade will be a slowing down of the ratio
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

[sarcasm]
    lol,

/me wonders how would it be finding myself havin to refuel my cellphone!!!!, sounds strange, oh and the exhaust fumes out of the cellphone.(maybe if i turbocharge the engine, it'll give me more time on the cell, maybe even a computer).

[/sarcasm]

nice find there.
    1993 nissan 240sx hatchback(stock) <<drifter, straight liner, road courser

"Horsepower is the force that determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque is the force that determines how far you take the wall with you after you hit it."

"Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races" - Carroll Shelby

"Real cars don't make power at the front wheels....they lift them."

Quote Originally Posted by TheOne
    [sarcasm]
    lol,

/me wonders how would it be finding myself havin to refuel my cellphone!!!!, sounds strange, oh and the exhaust fumes out of the cellphone.(maybe if i turbocharge the engine, it'll give me more time on the cell, maybe even a computer).

[/sarcasm]

nice find there.
    A turbine for a car usualy gives you much less milage, how can it be better for a cell phone then?

Amaizing enyway, found it another day at another site.

A researcher with mini rotary engine

I am happy to see people have noticed this great work. Development of this engine is speeding along, but not nearly at the rate of halfing size every 18 months. There are no limits due to size, there is no quantum related consruction even on the micro-scale rotary. The emmisions from this engine would depend on fuels, but would be roughly the same amount as another person standing in the room. There is an even smaller engine, which would be the one powering electronics and cell phones. ;-)

I might be wrong, but shouldn't the IC engines operate at a much higher temperature than chemical batteries? Despite the size, it probably would overheat (if not melt) all the things around it.
    You spent so much money and time on making the thing smaller. However, to make it work, you have to put cooling devices or more insulating stuff, which add weights and size. In the worst case, these thing might put you back to the square one (about the same weight and size as the normal batteries).

I think it is really a cool little thing, but that's my concern (the temperature thing) about it. Had anyone thought about it? And please correct me if I am wrong.

im sure they'll experement with cooler burning fuels and it will definitly have a heatsink and insulation to isolate it from other components, i see your point tho
    UCP's Most Hardcore Burro!

Being human explains everything but excuses nothing

Interesting article.....that's is one very small engine.
    VIVA FERRARI!!!!!!

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!" ~ Benjamin Franklin

If everything's under control, you're going too slow ~ Mario Andretti

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!" ~ [U]Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: A Savage Journey into the Heart of the American Dream[/U]

Quote Originally Posted by Verners
    A turbine for a car usualy gives you much less milage, how can it be better for a cell phone then?

Amaizing enyway, found it another day at another site.

normal GSM phone = NA mini rotary
    Satalite phone = Turbo charged mini rotary

less milage = less battery life
    more power = more coverage signal

sure it will come in handy some day.

oh by the way it will be nice for the cellphone to give out blow off valve sound when switching network

another good thing about mini rotary is that finally remote control RX7 can have a rotary engine instead of a sigle cylinder engine

Quote Originally Posted by RX7 FC3S
    I might be wrong, but shouldn't the IC engines operate at a much higher temperature than chemical batteries? Despite the size, it probably would overheat (if not melt) all the things around it.
    You spent so much money and time on making the thing smaller. However, to make it work, you have to put cooling devices or more insulating stuff, which add weights and size. In the worst case, these thing might put you back to the square one (about the same weight and size as the normal batteries).

I think it is really a cool little thing, but that's my concern (the temperature thing) about it. Had anyone thought about it? And please correct me if I am wrong.

HEY!!! isn't that my user name?

WHY?
    elmasmejol...

I always thought the capability of signal reception only has to do with the design of the cell phone (electronics and hardware stuff other than the battery). Could someone tell me how does this work?

FC88RE, I joint earlier than you do
    I picked this name, because this is one of my favorite cars (Actully one of the few that I fall in love in the very first sight). Just love its clean styling more than the curvy feeling of the FD.

well, the logic is that if you want higher reception, you need more battery power. and thats why satalite phone's battery usually run dry faster than any GSM phone. So to provide more power you turbocharge it

but its true that the heat might be a problem, i hope that it won't be like puting iron to your ears when you answer the phone.

anyone fancy a pocket size electricity generator?
    -UCP's Hardcore 4AG enthusiast
    -Undergraduate student, saved half of the money to buy an AE111 Trueno half cut

Thread Information