Thread: Is the pattern different?

Question Is the pattern different?

Here's something I've always wondered. On RHD cars, is the H pattern different than on LHD cars? As you well know, on LHD cars 1st gear (normaly) is at the top left shift gate, 2nd straight down (bottom left) 3rd to the right of 1st at top and so on. On RHD cars, are they in the same pattern or 1st at top right?

This may sound like a dumb question, but I've never driven a RHD car. Forgive my ingnorence on the matter I just wanted to know once and for all.

Taz.
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

1 3 5
    | | |
    - -
    | | |
    2 4 6/R

Reverse certainly gets about a lot doesn't it.
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    1 3 5
    | | |
    - -
    | | |
    2 4 6/R

Reverse certainly gets about a lot doesn't it.
    Thanks! HMMM, since I'm right handed it would take me a bit of practice to get used to 1st and 2nd bieng on the far side of the gate. Oh well, I'll practice when I go visit my sister in London.

Taz.
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

Quote Originally Posted by taz_rocks_miami
    Thanks! HMMM, since I'm right handed it would take me a bit of practice to get used to 1st and 2nd bieng on the far side of the gate. Oh well, I'll practice when I go visit my sister in London.

Taz.
    I am left handed and have managed to drive manual left hand drive cars since 1967. You'll manage
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

or

--1 3 5
    --| | |
    R/2 4 6

or

R/1 3 5
    --| | |
    --2 4 6

or even

R 1 3 5
    \ | | |
    --2 4 6
    Last edited by ruim20; 08-11-2004 at 04:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    I am left handed and have managed to drive manual left hand drive cars since 1967. You'll manage
    lol! dont mean to sound rude, but how old are ya?
    UCP's Biggest Mercedes Benz Fan! - Umer Sharif

Owner Of UCP's Best Avatar!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benz_Boy_1
    lol! dont mean to sound rude, but how old are ya?
    see profile
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Tsk tsk! You clearly forgot:

1 3
    |_|_
    | | |
    2 4 R

Some of us still don't have the luxury of a fifth.

everybody forgot that even in the UK you can rent an automatic!!

everybody forgot that even in the UK you can rent an automatic!!
    LOL I hate automatics, they bore the hell out of me. I'll have fun practicing in my sisters car. She's never told me what it is though, she's not a car person (niether is her husband), but since I'm the one who tought her how to drive, I guess she won't mind me talking her car out for a few hot laps around London muahahahaha.

Oh, and thanks to everyone who drew up the different H patterns for me!!

Taz.

You guys forgot:

R 2 4
    l -l - l
    1 3 5

This is the pattern used in a lot of racing gearboxes of both past and present. It's called a dog-leg first gear, the thinking behind it is that in race situations you only use 1st gear for the launch and after that you just use 2, 3, 4 and 5. Having those four gears in one single "H" means there should be less shifting across the gate (which is generally slower). Obviously when race cars starting using 6+ gears that went out of the window.

Dog-leg first gears were also used on all Ferrari road cars, presumably to give the impression of being at the helm of a proper race-bred car. It truth it became a pain in everyday traffic because there was quite a large gap between the slots for R/1 and 2/3, meaning the shift between 1st and 2nd was always an awkward one. Also on the older models the heavy spring-loaded bias returned the stick to a resting point somewhere inbetween 2/3 and 4/5 as it would do on a race gearbox, making reverse and 1st even harder to find! Ferrari didn't stop using this pattern until the mid-nineties with the debuts of the 355, 550, and F50 which all used 6 gears so it made more sense to just use a standard 'double-H' pattern.

I changed james' his pattern to the one I saw this weekend on a Ferrari Dino 156f1 car from 1957. This looks even more absurd, as the highest gears are in the middle.

R 4 2
    l -l - l
    1 5 3

I changed james' his pattern to the one I saw this weekend on a Ferrari Dino 156f1 car from 1957. This looks even more absurd, as the highest gears are in the middle.

R 4 2
    l -l - l
    1 5 3
    Wow Ferrari really used that pattern!? That's the craziest thing I ever saw!

Taz.

R 4 2
    l -l - l
    1 5 3

Here is the picture that shows the Dino selector, taken last saturday at the Nuerburgring. Car is owned by Corrado Cupellini from Italy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by jameswithington
    Dog-leg first gears were also used on all Ferrari road cars, presumably to give the impression of being at the helm of a proper race-bred car. It truth it became a pain in everyday traffic because there was quite a large gap between the slots for R/1 and 2/3, meaning the shift between 1st and 2nd was always an awkward one.
    My Mini has a similar 'problem', the distance between 2nd and 3rd is large enough to fit another slot in. It's like going from 2nd to 5th in a modern car.
    Last edited by Wouter Melissen; 08-13-2004 at 02:37 AM.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Thread Information