Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3000GT Or TransAm

3000GT Or TransAm

Its come down to either the 3000GT or TransAm, Im not sure which one to choose because there both great cars that ive heard
    And id like some oppinions on which one wud be easier to fix up the engline to gain more horsepower !
    Tell me what you think and y u think it

thanks

Well 3000gt would be more reliable, cheaper (Fuel) and probably more comfortable.

I'd go for the Trans Am, since it was made in the USA you'll find more performance parts for it at a lower price. One thing that always made the Trans Am and Camaro popular was "bang for the buck". Just don't get killed or kill anybody else in your quest for HP and speed dude. Good luck, I hope your happy with what ever car you buy!

Taz.
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

just wondering how it is possible that a 16 year old can already choose between the cars mentioned here. My suggestion would be to get a Sunbird and learn to drive. (not in technical terms, but getting experience in traffic)
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Does anyone know or cud give me a guess about how much it wud cost me for the insuracne for a year, for a 1998 transam for a 16 year old ?
    Just a quote wud be good

Dude you don't even want to know. You should go to progressive.com & geico.com and get quotes from them, then after you get up off the floor let us know what they say. Insurance for a 16-year-old is going to be at least 2-3 times what it would be for an older, more experienced driver. And that assumes the 16-year-old is driving a Kia. On a TransAm I would say that your monthly insurance premium will be significantly greater than the monthly payment on a brand new Trans Am, if they were still available.

I know you hate to hear it, but henk4 is right. You'd be much better off spending a few years behind the wheel of a more sedate automobile that isn't so easy to get yourself into trouble with, until you gain more experience, (and get out of the ultra-high-risk insurance pool).

Jumping behind the wheel of a high-performance car right out of the gate is just asking for trouble and hearbreak.
    "The good news is, not one of the 50 states has the death penalty for speeding....although I'm not too sure about Ohio."

Sesquipedalian -- a really cool word. It means long-winded, polysyllabic, or verbose. See the word describes itself...isn't that neat?

1988 Nissan 200SX SE V6

UCP's most hardcore S12 fan!

The 3000 GT because it can turn more heads and because Mitsubishi has an OUTSTANDING Warrenty (one of the best there is) and Imports are More Reliable that domestic cars. (in the US that is)

Insurance will cost you more than the car... And don't forget gas.

At 18, I pay ~$1800/year for a 1997 VolksWagen. With a 2 liter. And parents with great driving records.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

I agree with the more experienced gentlemens' suggestion to get something practical and inexpensive first. I am only 19, but I am glad that I don't have a fast car because I really did learn a lot about driving in just the first 3 years. I am sure I still have many lessons to learn as well.

My suggestion is to get a bigger car so that if you do something stupid you are less likely to get killed over it.

Plus the insurance on that would be outrageous. I don't know about where you live... but I pay about 1k a year... and I don't have any coverage just the PL/PD, with a '94 dodge intrepid.

But... on the comparison between those two cars... I would go with the T/A... just because... I think they are, quicker, better looking, and for your case there are plenty of aftermarket parts for the LS1.....oh ya... that's another reason... LS1

Either way... have fun, be safe, and be a good motorist
    Last edited by AKlingel; 08-11-2004 at 09:26 AM. Reason: two does not equal to...
    '94 Intrepid ES (3.3L) :D

Greatness: repeated higher level performances over a long period of time.

Yea, i figured the insurance wud be insane, i mean my parents have great records, mom has never been in a wreck and has gotten only about 1 ticket her hole life, if that will even help me out with the insurance

believe me.....insurance wont let you have that car for long. i right now pay almost $3g's every 6 months for full cover on a 95 eclipse.(i'll switch companies after next feb, allstate is the most expensive ins around, btw am 17, i could get liability but i haven't). i'd go with the T/A as there's more performance parts for those, + they can be easier to fix if you know how.

but as an advice......like the others have said, go with something smaller, cheaper and not that much horses.
    1993 nissan 240sx hatchback(stock) <<drifter, straight liner, road courser

"Horsepower is the force that determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque is the force that determines how far you take the wall with you after you hit it."

"Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races" - Carroll Shelby

"Real cars don't make power at the front wheels....they lift them."

Power mods for the Trans Am have got to be pretty cheap.

But for a young inexperienced driver, the 3000GT is probably the better choice. It's got FWD, which offers more benign handling characteristics and better traction in inclement weather. And it won't suffer the choppiness of a live-axle setup on rough roads. Its interior is also far nicer IMO. Although both cars pretty much suck for interior space.

Quality-wise, there's probably not a lot between them. The Trans Am is pretty simple and durable. Mitsubishi is very well known for being less than upfront about defects.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/consum...s/mauto778.htm
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2004Jun10.html

Look at those dates. You'd think they would have learned.

I'd say it depends on where you live, if you deal with snow, you'll hate the trans am, but if you don't its a good choice between the two. If however you have snow, get the 3000GT and spare the pain of a RWD winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Spastik_Roach
    Well 3000gt would be more reliable, cheaper (Fuel) and probably more comfortable.
    Are you serious?
    Trans AM WS6 19/28mpg
    3000GT VR4 18/24mpg

And whats your resoning that a twinturbo V6 is going to last longer than a NA V8?

Quote Originally Posted by Slicks
    Are you serious?
    Trans AM WS6 19/28mpg
    3000GT VR4 18/24mpg

And whats your resoning that a twinturbo V6 is going to last longer than a NA V8?
    Bear in mind that the VR4 has AWD, while the GT is FWD.

Thread Information