Thread: Unlocking The Secret*

Unlocking The Secret*

I recently got a Mitsubishi Eclipse for 5K, yes 5K, it's a 1998 or 1997 model, has a 2.0 Liter DOHC ? not really sure, the reason I got it for 5K is that the kid who owened it is rich as hell and drives a BMW, hence the car was in horrible condition, or so it seemed from the outside.

As soon as I stepped on the gas all the way, I knew there was something different about this car cuz I literally burned the shit out of my friends Civic which is fast as hell, after investigating around, I learned that my car was "stocked", still kinda hazy about what that means, after a little bit more investigation, according my another friend, whos dad is a mechanic, the car DOES seem to have a Turbo in it, BUT he said that certain things need to be modified, like Intake etc, for it to run at it's full potential, he says that the car can actually run 100 times faster than how it's running right now. So after learning that, I have actually decided to put money in the car to "Unlock" the cars full potential, but I am very confused and a little scared as to how I should start since I don't know nothing about cars, my first investment would be to get work done on the engine, then the outside beauty will come later, I would like to learn everything there is to know or have a basic idea of getting my car "hooked" up, and lookin to not get ripped off by the mechanic.

So I was wondering if you guys could guide me or help me get started since I have no idea what to do...

do u really think civics are fast? if so, then i'm definitely not gonna be helping here, cuz ur street racing.

What eclipse do you have? The model let's you know if it is turbo charged or not.

GST? GSX?

Show us some pics also

Welcome to UCP

Welcome to UCP. Here is a chart to show how to really modify your car. but I don't think the car will run 100 times faster than what is now, unless ur top speed is 1 mph
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

a civic that's fast? ... ur definetly on something

Quote Originally Posted by DivXerouS
    So I was wondering if you guys could guide me or help me get started since I have no idea what to do...

Learn to drive. Learn about cars. Dont race on the road.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Actually it was just a comparison run, and no I don;t race, we blocked off the street for about 1 minute anyway. Also he doesn't have a civic, it';s an accord, the stick shift ones, and yes it is pretty fast. Im not even into racing anyway so don't worry.

I don't think the car will run 100 times faster than what is now, unless ur top speed is 1 mph
    I know it's not gonna run 100 times faster but it WILL get faster, hence the term exaggeration.

What eclipse do you have? The model let's you know if it is turbo charged or not.
    Thanks for the welcome, Im lookin forward to learning about cars, the model of the car is RS and I will try to get some pics IF I can...
    It is an automatic.
    Last edited by DivXerouS; 09-02-2004 at 09:28 AM.

Civics are fast, I heard they can beat a Toyota Echo.....
    Last edited by Niko_Fx; 09-02-2004 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Niko_Fx
    Civics are fast, I heard they can beat a Toyota Echo.....
    ROFL, cause thats a big accomplishment.
    best idea is to go back to the "rich kid" you bought it off and ask him WTH hes done to it. then you can at least have a fair idea of where to start. you bought n automatic car?
    The Datto will rage again...

Screwed*

Well after a little bit more digging I found out that I got the car stocked, which doesn't mean I have Turbo in the Car, the idiot friend of mine, obviously didn't know what the hell he was talkin about, and claimed the muffler pipe as being a Turbo pipe WTF, according to a real mechanic, there is no Turbo in the freakin car, and the best he said you can do is maybe install a new intake, which can be bought for cheap, that COULD, or MIGHT possible add a little bit more speed to the car, according to him (The Mechanic) he also said that another surefire way you could add speed to the car is to get 17" or 18" tire, since they "span" out more or something, and create a better flow and smoothness while driving.

So apprently I was mistaken, about the Turbo, BUT the reason the car gets the burst of speed so quick is because of the Torque, which also lately doesn't seem to be kicking in like before, and the response time also seems to be slowing down, and no Im not getting adjusted to the speed...

Well Im gonna get the car checked out at a couple of more places, Miami, FL. Anyone got any more engine tips, feel free to shoot away.

you should get a K&N cold air intake, bout 200$ but it adds about 20 or more HP, you can also (depending how much financially and time wise want to get into the car) can have the cams and valves adjusted to take advantage of the natural hp(Faster accelaration)

i think a turbo is a bad idea because it will fry pistons and rings, maybe not immediatly, but it will shorten the life tremendously, you have to beef up aloooooot of stuff to be able to safely and effectively add a turbo, factory turbos are the best generally because they take all of that into consideration.

Another option i have seen for some Porsches is a bigger bore kit, it adds a litre to size, and makes a 4.6 litre engine with 490 naturally aspirated HP. Im not sure about the longevity of it though.
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche
    you should get a K&N cold air intake, bout 200$ but it adds about 20 or more HP, you can also (depending how much financially and time wise want to get into the car) can have the cams and valves adjusted to take advantage of the natural hp(Faster accelaration)

i think a turbo is a bad idea because it will fry pistons and rings, maybe not immediatly, but it will shorten the life tremendously, you have to beef up aloooooot of stuff to be able to safely and effectively add a turbo, factory turbos are the best generally because they take all of that into consideration.

Another option i have seen for some Porsches is a bigger bore kit, it adds a litre to size, and makes a 4.6 litre engine with 490 naturally aspirated HP. Im not sure about the longevity of it though.
    A K&N filter alone will provide very marginal improvement. (you get a nice sticker with it though). To get the best out of those you really need to enhance the air flow to it. Either a pod housed in a fabricated enclosure or a ram tube of some type to get cold air to it. To cap it off you should then get a good quality tuned exhaust system. All of which is not exactly cheap. Fitting a turbo need not "fry" anything as long as the motor is built to suit (compression wise etc) and you dont run excessive boost. SD20 Nissan motors are stock with low boost turbos and are very reliable and powerful.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

according my another friend, whos dad is a mechanic, the car DOES seem to have a Turbo in it,
    the idiot friend of mine, obviously didn't know what the hell he was talkin about, and claimed the muffler pipe as being a Turbo pipe WTF
    That was hilarious!!! What kind of mechanic is that!! lmao

you should get a K&N cold air intake, bout 200$ but it adds about 20 or more HP
    Try 2 instead of 20.....

I have driven my civic before and after putting a short air intake on it, a 2003 Mustang GT before and after putting a CAI in it and an S2000 before and after putting a CAI in it, so I can say from my own experience that the difference is minimal, the engines do breathe a lot better, but the HP gain truly is minimal. However, putting a cold air intake is part of the process of upgrading a car... But if you ask me I wouldn't upgrade an Automatic eclipse RS... (Yes, I own a civic with a short air filter, that was a stupid upgrade also)

claimed the muffler pipe as being a Turbo pipe WTF,
    Again... that was funny as hell.

BTW if you plan on getting a cold air intake don't pay 200$ for it, look for one on ebay, you'll get a better price.

Niko

Finally Decided*

Yeaa, shit wasn't funny to me, cuz I got excited for no reason at all, you know the metal plate where there is a hand with an X over the hand, "Forbidding" you not to touch it, well the pipe underneath is the muffler pipe, and not the Turbo.

If anyone of you have seen a 1998 Eclipse RS Engine, with 2.0 Liter DOHC, you probably know what Im talkin about.

But after looking around, and asking a couple of mechanics, many of them recommended getting an Intake Pipe, I was also looking at a lot of hooked up pictures of Eclipses, and noticed that most of them actually had intakes as well.

SOOO, my first project is to get a cold air intake pipe or an intake pipe, Im not really sure but I think there are 2 types of intake pipes. Maybe someone can clarify a little but more. I also noticed that a lot of the pictures with the hooked up cars consisted of an Intake by the InJEN Company which seem to be the best one or not ? maybe someone can clarify a little on that. IN the meanwhile I came across this website,

http://www.coldairintakeshop.com/mm~...8~coldair.html

which displays information about the different types of intake systems that I can order online. So can someone help me out, lookin to spend maybe 100 - 150$ on an intake system. Hopefully I can get the best one for that price.

Remember my car is not Turbo Charged nor consists of a Turbo, is not related to anything with Turbo!

You should get a turbo
    The Datto will rage again...

Thread Information