Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 240sx - detuned silvia s 200sx - ???

240sx - detuned silvia s 200sx - ???

we know the 240sx for the american market is basically the japanese silvia line (s13, s14, the 240sx line was discontinued by the time the s15 came out) without the sr20 engine and more or less the same chassis

what about the 200sx?

err, heard somewhere this was a replacement for the sentra ??
    and on some sites they say the 200 has rwd drivetrain while on others it says fwd ... what the heck?

im thinking of either getting this, 240sx, rx7 or mr2
    im 16 so money is not exactly a commodity for me and i want a fun sporty rwd car that i can easily modify and take to a track and have fun with

here in australia we got the S13 as a Silvia, then the S14 and S15 were badged as a 200SX. I'm not sure where the 240SX fitted in
    I am the Stig

well, unless you plan on changin the engine on the 240sx, its not a good car to mod and take to drag tracks, but its good to go for road/drifting. the older 200sx(S12) came V6 and RWD as a member here has 1 of those(i think),there is a newer 1 which is FWD and has a 1.6-1.8L I4, thats 95+(or so...) which is the actual sentra. the 240sx is the same japanese silvia but with a truck engine on it, mostly because the sr20 doesn't pass US emissions(and some say cause it would be able to kill the 300zx).
    the 240sx can be modifield easily, but you wont get more than ~190RWHP from bolt-ons unless you either turbo or put nos.
    i'd take the MR2......RWD, rear engine design, and a turbo model, but then again.....i allready have a 240sx and thinkin of puttin a bigger engine + turbo.

i paid about $1400 for my 93 240sx with 108k miles and a 95 240sx engine(which i rebuilt), $1500 total probably. runs so....badass, just need to go to the drift track around here, oh and also get some better tires.
    Last edited by TheOne; 08-20-2004 at 10:17 PM.
    1993 nissan 240sx hatchback(stock) <<drifter, straight liner, road courser

"Horsepower is the force that determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque is the force that determines how far you take the wall with you after you hit it."

"Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races" - Carroll Shelby

"Real cars don't make power at the front wheels....they lift them."

Quote Originally Posted by TheOne
    i'd take the MR2......RWD, rear engine design, and a turbo model, but then again.....
    i thought its a Mid engine setup...
    -UCP's Hardcore 4AG enthusiast
    -Undergraduate student, saved half of the money to buy an AE111 Trueno half cut

yeh......its mid engine......just kind of though rear engine at that 1 moment.
    1993 nissan 240sx hatchback(stock) <<drifter, straight liner, road courser

"Horsepower is the force that determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque is the force that determines how far you take the wall with you after you hit it."

"Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races" - Carroll Shelby

"Real cars don't make power at the front wheels....they lift them."

From what I have heard, 240SX is the same as 200SX but with a different engine. 200SX used the CA18DE/CA18DET and SR20DE/SR20DET and were sold in Japan and Australia like that. But when it came to import the car to american market Nissan decided not use the CA and SR engine simply because in naturally aspirated form they weren't powerful enough and turbo engines weren't popular enough in America. Hence they decided to take a bigger 2.4 litre KA24E engine used on Altima(Bluebird) and upgrade it to 155hp getting A KA24DE (D means DOHC in Nissan specifications). Now the engine made the power similar to turbocharged 2 litre engines and was good enough for American market. That's the story.

200SX is the same thing as the silvia, but sold in Australia with slightly detuned versions of the same engines(at least in S15 form).

In Australia the S13 is badged as a silvia whereas for some reason the S14 was badged as a 200sx, however on a recent trip to melbourne i came across a S15 badged as a silvia. this confused me as all other S15s id seen were badged 200sx, this S15 happened to be an R spec. i dont know if that changes why its a silvia not a 200sx, can anyone explain this?

Anyway these model cars carrying the SR series engines (excluding CA series s13s) have the potential to be monsters! ive seen cars with SR20DETs that crank 500hp+ they make roughly 200hpish stock, now if thats detuned, i want to see the real potential of these engines!
    The Datto will rage again...

perhaps it was a rey import from Japan, some one who was seeking a non detuned version. our ones had i think 147kw stock
    I am the Stig

sounds like a reasonable assumption to me. iv never seen one before so it piqued my interest.

well when you think about it, the Integra Type R and 200SX we got were supposedly tuned down from the Japanese spec versions, probabl cause of our crappier fuel, so someone who waned something unique with a bit more go wouldve imprteone themselves. Correct me if im wrong, but down japanese cars severely decrease in value after 3 years in Japan?
    Last edited by fpv_gtho; 08-26-2004 at 02:41 AM.
    I am the Stig

The European 200SX, (S14) came with a 1.8 16V turbo engine.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

oh yeah i live in canada, our 200sx is not the euro or australian spec
    that's prolly the source of all this confusion, sorry bout the lateness of this post though

yeh in japan because of all the strict rego control and limited space and all this other BS they have to be rigouresly scrutinised every 3 years. this means that many japs find it easier to js sell their car and get a new one rather then be bothered re-regoing it. thus cheap cars are a gogo. theres a flow chart of this here

http://www.japanperformancedirect.com.au/why_import.htm

Thread Information