Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SR20DET Datsun

SR20DET Datsun

Iv seen recently a picture of a 78-81 Datsun Stanza with a SR20DET in it! however it is just the one, ill post the pic so you can see for youself, im after more info on it but all i could find was this pic. anyone know anymore about it? like output, cost, anything just for laughs ive included a comparison pic between my existing L16 in my stanza and the SR20DET
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Datto will rage again...

there's a company in S.A. called Mad Dat, they make conversion kits for the 1600, i think that they are sr20 and also FJ20

anyway, heres a helpful site:
    http://www.maddat.com.au/
    Hachi Roku Owner.

People put these things in everything. They are cheap , reliable and powerful for their size.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Great little engine that SR20DET is. Just like Crisis said cheap, reliable, and easy to make power. What more can you want out of an engine?
    VIVA FERRARI!!!!!!

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!" ~ Benjamin Franklin

If everything's under control, you're going too slow ~ Mario Andretti

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!" ~ [U]Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: A Savage Journey into the Heart of the American Dream[/U]

Looks like someone wasnt satisfied with the FJ20. I know someone whos put an FJ20 in a 1200 coupe as well as a 308 in a dual cab datsun ute
    I am the Stig

mmmm i've seen some strange things go into dattos, 13B turbo in a 1200 ute, the back kicked out on that thing every time he shifted. scary stuff. i was contemplating copying this guy and puttin a SR20 in my datto, but at 1500 bucks just to get the mounts done, let alone the actual engine, gearbox, clutch, brakes, etc etc. im just going to get an RX7 but yeah id like to know more about this thing just out of personal interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Supra
    mmmm i've seen some strange things go into dattos, 13B turbo in a 1200 ute, the back kicked out on that thing every time he shifted. scary stuff. i was contemplating copying this guy and puttin a SR20 in my datto, but at 1500 bucks just to get the mounts done, let alone the actual engine, gearbox, clutch, brakes, etc etc. im just going to get an RX7 but yeah id like to know more about this thing just out of personal interest.
    I know a guy with a 1200 (I think he said 1300) ute. He rekons to put a R20 in you also have to modify the firewall. He stripped the stock motor, flat top pistons , cam and a few other things and put a two barrel stromberg carby on it. Then added Nos. It should be running by the end of this week.

Quote Originally Posted by crisis
    I know a guy with a 1200 (I think he said 1300) ute. He rekons to put a R20 in you also have to modify the firewall. He stripped the stock motor, flat top pistons , cam and a few other things and put a two barrel stromberg carby on it. Then added Nos. It should be running by the end of this week.
    now thats SCARY! itd run 10 sec quarters or sumthing close? insane. i hope hes doing the brakes up too!

now thats SCARY! itd run 10 sec quarters or sumthing close? insane. i hope hes doing the brakes up too!
    He works for my brother in law in his service shop. I think he is going to do somethng with the brakes but like most young guys that secondary.

i was contemplating doin up the Stanza but yeh, expensive, its got drums on the rear and small discs on the front, barely enough stopping power as it is. before i can go id like to be able to stop.

i was contemplating doin up the Stanza but yeh, expensive, its got drums on the rear and small discs on the front, barely enough stopping power as it is. before i can go id like to be able to stop.
    Well thats the smart way around. Sometimes a lot of that stuff is interchangeable from one model to the next or even one make. So a wrecker or someone with some knowlegde about thos cars may be able to advise you what fits what and you might get something fairly good at a decent price.
    Last edited by crisis; 09-01-2004 at 06:21 PM.

yeah i was talking to a wrecker when i recently bought some new(ish) mags and he said bluebird TRX discs would do the trick for the rear with 200B struts. relatively cheap. Wreckers are great sources of info.

ive seen the mad dat 1600 SR20DET in a magazine before. nice.
    UCP's Most Hardcore 2 Door Performance Car Freak

UCP's Most Hardcore Fitness Freak

Im Going To Be A Millionare At 17

Argue Me If You Want ^^

one of my friends has a mag with a special on a pair of SR20 stanza's/1600's, he says its te best mag its got as its got like half the book dedicated to engine swaps
    I am the Stig

I was out at the wreckers yesterday, looking for some straight bumpers (if you know where i can get front and rear ones pm me) and anyways he was telling me i could do a straight swap with an L20 hes got in a bluebird sitting in the back yard, offered the whole engine to me for 400 bucks. I did some research on some datsun sites and found this is very common, roughly a 50% torque increase and about 30% power. not a bad increase for 500 bucks after you include some new bits ie gaskets and hoses.

Thread Information