Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Worst Ever Supercar

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    If its the 930 911 turbo, then i believe they also suffered pretty bad turbo lag, followed up by the power being delivered pretty damn quick
    That's the one, imagine if the turbo KICKED in when you were in the middle of a corner, YIKES!!!!
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

well hopefully their early handling issues prevented too many people from experiencing this at too great a speed
    I am the Stig

I'm gonna say the Yamaha OX-99 supercar. Horrid.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by Chinky_boi
    if you had 600,000. What would you buy? the CGT is the most beautiful machine ever made. A V10 mid engine producing 605HP. Ranked first in the Top Gear lap test. I wouldn't call that crap. You can't go wrong with that? the DB9 also is a very very beautiful machine. Even though it has paddle gear shifters but it handles well and looks stunning.
    If I had that kind of money, I'd get lots of guitars and amps, an Audi RS6, an Aston DB9, and save the rest for debts and bills.

Quote Originally Posted by :Exige:
    So does the Countach ... Just because a car looks good doesnt mean its a decent car. Is the only point of your argument that it cant be bad because it looks good then??? You obviously do not know the horrors of the development of the car and why exactly it didnt sell and no-one liked it. I advise you put a search in Google about it and then you will see why.

Oh - and the Ford GT90 was in NFS2 .. which just happens to be another supercar failure that resulted in nothing whatsoever (so bad that Ford thought they'd do better by ressurecting the GT40 )
    Ehm a supercar is mostly about looks and power, to own other people on the road. And the XJ220 and Countach just look superb, so at least 50% is good about them Of course driveability is also important, but with those looks it's less an isue...
    I think Koenigsegg is Swedish for: "Oh no, my head's just exploded!"

Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by KnifeEdge_2K1
    i heard that the mclaren f1 is NOT road legal
    You're almost right.

McLaren would never be as stupid to make a car that cost many millions to develop that couldn't be driven on the road.

So it is leagal in Europe, possibly the Middle East (IIRC to be road leagal in some Arab states all you need is a hand brake), Japan...

Not America though.

They, along with a host of other incredibly fast cars (Mercedes CLK GTR, Porsche 959, Bugatti EB110 etc) were not homologated for the US.

To get around this a Connecticut firm called Ameritech (nothing to do with McLaren) set about importing engines and rolling chassis, then assembling them in the US so that it would qualify as a "kit-car", and therefore be road-leagal. Changes included deleting the passenger seats and adding some huge bumpers.

It is suggested that they bought in six cars, then the government pointed out that it still wasn't really a kit-car, so they stopped the project.

In 2000 the "Show-or-Display" law came into play after incredibly rich people inc. Bill Gates, Paul Allen, and Ralph Lauren, who wanted to actually drive their expensive supercars.

"The new law allowed one to import an unhomologated car to the US without any constraints from the Department of Transportation, if that car was of technological or historical significance. In order for the car to be driven on the road it still had to pass an emissions test. Cars imported under this provision may only be driven 2,500 miles per annum. Quite a few cars have qualified for this status, including the EB110, XJ220, 959, Z1, CLK-GTR, the last fifty old-style Minis, the last air-cooled RS. This law is also why F1s are now legal in the States, and approximately twenty now reside in North America."

Ameritech's "kits" are still illeagal for road use, unless you wanted to re-import them.
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6
    If I had that kind of money, I'd get lots of guitars and amps, an Audi RS6, an Aston DB9, and save the rest for debts and bills.
    WTF NOW? at first you say you hated the DB9 and now you want to have it?

Quote Originally Posted by Chinky_boi
    WTF NOW? at first you say you hated the DB9 and now you want to have it?
    ya, i'm confused too
    "We first fought the heathens in the name of religion, then Communism, and now in the name of drugs and terrorism. Our excuses for global domination always change." - Serj Tanikan

"Dusting is a good example of the futility of trying to put things right. As soon as you dust, the fact of your next dusting has already been established." - George Carlin

The XJ220 was too wide ... ask anyone who owned one. It also had huge turbolag (proven on one of my Clarkson videos to be about 6 seconds leaving you at 70mph for that long in 3rd). The GT90 concept was capable of 90mph (another Clarkson thingy ) and still handled boringly ... its a bad supercar because Ford spent millions trying to make it work .. in the ned they gave up and made the GT .. imagine what would have happened if they just made the GT from the beginning.

The only Porsche 911 was an absolutley terrible car ... all old 911's for that matter. Its mainly because the engine was in the wrong place .. still did reasonably well for Stock brokers Someone said to me "Engine in the back - they thought it couldnt be done .. thats how good Porsche are" Yea .. well it took them a over 50 years

I overlooked the 911 / 901 so thats my new choice

Thread Information