Thread: Small engine, big numbers

Small engine, big numbers

This is why I have such a great respect for what little remains of the British Auto industry.

Many years ago, there was a company that went by the name of the Light Car Company. Like Ronseal, it did exactly what it said on the tin. Their first car weighed in at 406kg, with a 143bhp bike sourced 4 cylinder engine did 60 in 4.4 and 145mph

This car, the Rocket, was intended to have a big brother, the Lightning, with a V8 crafted from two bike engines - all of the lightness, all of the power, but more torque.
    Unfortunately, the idea went on the back burner.

Now however, after finding new financial backing, the bike derived V8 is back.

RST V8:
    2000cc
    340bhp @ 10,250rpm (can go up to 15,000 if the application requires)
    190lb ft @ 7000 - 7800rpm

Length: 19" (48cm)
    Width: 19"
    Height: 19"

Neatly dropped into a Catherham SV it hits 60 in 3.4, and is geared for 150mph.

Pics, info from Evo.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks for all the fish

r still n?

Are You Still On This Page????

No...
    Thanks for all the fish

one thing I don't get are the length and stuff. I mean 48CM is as long as a arm. I don't think a car will have a length of them.

its not the car... its the engine...
    "Power, Beauty, Soul" - Aston Martin

Woah! That looks great! Looking forward to hearing more about the project.
    A high revving, screamy V8. How unusual! That engine looks great though, I love bikes and bike engines, it's just a shame they don't last long!

Quote Originally Posted by Chinky_boi
    one thing I don't get are the length and stuff. I mean 48CM is as long as a arm. I don't think a car will have a length of them.
    It's the engine size

Check out Radical's V8 progress - latest update - at http://www.radicalmotorsport.com/new...assy/index.php

A few kit car companies funded numerous developmend of combined crank I4 bike blocks for compact V8s. See http://www.cyclonepowerltd.co.uk/qua...one_xtreme.htm

Any details on who the designers of this engine are ?
    Wonder if they're using the Cyclone or Powertec or if it's a home-brew.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by VtecMini
    Woah! That looks great! Looking forward to hearing more about the project.
    A high revving, screamy V8. How unusual! That engine looks great though, I love bikes and bike engines, it's just a shame they don't last long!
    There were problems early on that car designers didnt' take into account but now all do.

oil pickup and cooling

Bike engines spend a lot of their life changing angle and this changes the oil flow characterstics. So problems have been reported in the early days of the top ends suffering higher wear due to reduction in oil. Any decent car installation upgrades the oil flow ( or uses one of the bikes with a 'harder' top end )

Also, it was common to forget that bike engines STILL get some cooling from the air flow and designers would forget that and whilst they would add bigger radiators, they would forget that there are no cooling jackets where the orirginal engine designers new there would be airflow. So again, early designs would tend to run warm and have associated higher wear.

Finally, people who put bike engines into their 7s did it to make them go faster mainly on track. So it was SERIOUSLY higher stress, temperatures and wear than they were ever designed to have. So again, good designers uprated shells, bearings and components. Others jsut accepted that an engine would be knackered after a season of track use and budgeted to buy a new one. Second hand bike engines used to be VERY cheap and VERY low mileage
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Others

Racecar Engineering has been following these for a while there are plans for both a 2l and a 2.6l. Another company (i cna't remember who) also has plans for a 2l but it will not be as light. The Radical engine is now a little heavier than expected (was planned around 78kg) but there is now higher expected power outputs.

RST is headed by Russell Savory, Simon Shaw (financial backer) and Tony Hart.

It is based on two 130bhp Yamaha EXUP 1000 engines, but most of the parts are bespoke.

The chain driven cams were replaced by belt driven ones as it kept depositing all of the oil at the top of the engine after 20mins

Weighs a spritely 74kg

Longer intake trumpets should result in more torque, which is nice.
    Thanks for all the fish

[QUOTE=Matra et Alpine]It's the engine size

Check out Radical's V8 progress - latest update - at http://www.radicalmotorsport.com/new...assy/index.php

Is there any connection between Radical and Max Mosley?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    This is why I have such a great respect for what little remains of the British Auto industry.

Many years ago, there was a company that went by the name of the Light Car Company. Like Ronseal, it did exactly what it said on the tin. Their first car weighed in at 406kg, with a 143bhp bike sourced 4 cylinder engine did 60 in 4.4 and 145mph

This car, the Rocket, was intended to have a big brother, the Lightning, with a V8 crafted from two bike engines - all of the lightness, all of the power, but more torque.
    Unfortunately, the idea went on the back burner.

Now however, after finding new financial backing, the bike derived V8 is back.

RST V8:
    2000cc
    340bhp @ 10,250rpm (can go up to 15,000 if the application requires)
    190lb ft @ 7000 - 7800rpm

Length: 19" (48cm)
    Width: 19"
    Height: 19"

Neatly dropped into a Catherham SV it hits 60 in 3.4, and is geared for 150mph.

Pics, info from Evo.
    That would make a fantastic club car for circuit racing,Watch out GT3 porches,in Australia here we have a similar car which is powered by the GM LS1 it is an absolutely insane vehicle,but personally I like the idea of a smaller more efficient engine with more HP/Litre like the rocket than something with a massive V8 in it,thats just to easy that way
    Have you seen the pictures of the latest Aston Martin DB9R the most beautiful vehicle in the world
    Last edited by charged; 09-14-2004 at 05:55 AM.

I would defiantly buy one this is one coolest project I have seen..

Thread Information