Thread: Chinese GP Qualifying and Race

Chinese GP Qualifying and Race

Well qualifying for the Chinese GP just concluded, and Barichello has taken the pole, with Raikkoen second and Button third. Where's M. Schumacher you ask? Well he spun going into the first turn and will be starting from the back, which given his performance at Monza 2 weeks ago, doesn't mean much. Great result for Massa and Ralf Schumacher, and a rather unspectacular return to qualifying for Villenueve, but we'll see how the race plays out tomorrow.

Here's the full qualifying results:

1. Rubens Barrichello - Ferrari - 1:34.012

2. Kimi Räikkönen - McLaren-Mercedes - 1:34.178

3. Jenson Button - BAR-Honda - 1:34.295

4. Felipe Massa - Sauber-Petronas - 1:34.759

5. Ralf Schumacher - Williams-BMW - 1:34.891

6. Fernando Alonso - Renault - 1:34.917

7. Giancarlo Fisichella - Sauber-Petronas - 1:34.951

8. Olivier Panis - Toyota - 1:34.975

9. Takuma Sato - BAR-Honda - 1:34.993

10. David Coulthard - McLaren-Mercedes - 1:35.029

11. Juan Pablo Montoya - Williams-BMW - 1:35.245

12. Mark Webber - Jaguar-Cosworth - 1:35.286

13. Jacques Villeneuve - Renault - 1:35.384

14. Ricardo Zonta - Toyota - 1:35.410

15. Nick Heidfeld - Jordan-Ford - 1:36.507

16. Christian Klien - Jaguar-Cosworth - 1:36.535

17. Timo Glock - Jordan-Ford - 1:37.140

18. Zsolt Baumgartner - Minardi-Cosworth - 1:40.240

19. Gianmaria Bruni - Minardi-Cosworth - No Time
    20. Michael Schumacher - Ferrari - No Time
    VIVA FERRARI!!!!!!

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!" ~ Benjamin Franklin

If everything's under control, you're going too slow ~ Mario Andretti

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!" ~ [U]Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: A Savage Journey into the Heart of the American Dream[/U]

dont you guys think that the track looks a bit like zandvoort ?

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie
    dont you guys think that the track looks a bit like zandvoort ?
    They look sort of similar in overall layout, here's maps of both tracks:
    Shanghai on the left and Zandvoort on the right
    Attached Images Attached Images
    VIVA FERRARI!!!!!!

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!" ~ [U]Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: A Savage Journey into the Heart of the American Dream[/U]

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrari Tifosi
    They look sort of similar in overall layout, here's maps of both tracks:
    Shanghai on the left and Zandvoort on the right
    Actually the Zandvoort track shown is the third version of the track. The original track was shorted by two kilometers because part of the area had to make way for a bungalow park. The resulting mickey mouse circuit was hardly taken seriously and about 5 years ago some space was found to bring back the track to GP length of over 4km. I think the resemblance with Shanghai is purely coincidental.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Auckland, New Zealand & Balikpapan, Indonesia
    Whoa.... great job by Massa... and great comeback by Ralf! i'm impressed...

The Shanghai circuit was actually designed by following the shape and look of the Chinese character 'Shanghai' (pretty smart huh?)... so i think its a complete coincidence that it looks like zandvoort...
    "Rejection is better than regret. It's better to try and know you did your part, than to spend the rest of your days wishing you had tried"

The original Zandvoort track was designed by Hans Hugenholtz who also designed the Suzuka circuit. You wouldn't mix those two up.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

with Schu starting at the back .. we'll have some action for sure
    and good for Sauber .. both cars in top 8
    There is no terrible way of winning
    there is just winning

Great race in my opinion. There was passing, and even old rivalries (Schumacher and Villeneuve battle for P11). Great performance for Barichello, getting the win for the first Chinese GP. Button in second, and Raikkonen third, Alonso fourth, Montoya fifth, Sato sixth, Fisichella seventh, and Massa eighth. M. Schumacher finish 12th after a horrible race. Villeneuve was unspectacular finishing 11th in his return to F1. Too bad for R. Schumacher who was set for about a 4-5th place finish before his incident with Coulthard. BAR will extend their lead over Renault for second in the manufacturers championship, and McLaren will gain two points on Williams. In the end it was a very successful first Chinese GP, and I enjoyed watching this race very much.

Also, this was the first race I watched in conjunction with live timing, and I'll never watch another race without live timing. It gives you so much more insight to what is going on.
    VIVA FERRARI!!!!!!

Auckland, New Zealand & Balikpapan, Indonesia
    Bloody hell... (sorry) i missed the race :'( i've been waiting for this for ages... and i was so excited about it... damn.. i thought the race is starting in an hour from now!....

arrgghh!!!!!!!
    "Rejection is better than regret. It's better to try and know you did your part, than to spend the rest of your days wishing you had tried"

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrari Tifosi
    Too bad for R. Schumacher who was set for about a 4-5th place finish before his incident with Coulthard.
    Hmmm.

Lap 11:
    Michael Schumacher makes an ambitious move up the inside of Klien at the hairpin, and makes contact. Klien's Jaguar is too damaged to continue.
    No action is taken by the Stewards.

Lap 37:
    David Coulthard makes an ambitious move up the inside of Ralph Schumacher at the hairpin, and makes contact. Ralph's Williams is too damaged to continue.
    Stewards announce the incident will be investigated.

Almost identical incidents. Either both of them should be investigated, or neither.
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    Hmmm.

Lap 11:
    Michael Schumacher makes an ambitious move up the inside of Klien at the hairpin, and makes contact. Klien's Jaguar is too damaged to continue.

Lap 37:
    David Coulthard makes an ambitious move up the inside of Ralph Schumacher at the hairpin, and makes contact. Ralph's Williams is too damaged to continue.

Almost identical incidents. Either both of them should be investigated, or neither.
    I agree, I thought Schumacher's attempt to ram his way past was very lame. It was clear there was no way he could of got past, just cos he aint in the top 3 he thinks he can bash his way to the top.. arsehole.

Here's an interesting article from F1.com on how the Chinese GP was a huge success.

http://www.formula1.com/news/2280.html
    VIVA FERRARI!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    Hmmm.

Lap 11:

Lap 37:

Very different incidents, when you watch them closely.

M. Schumacher was well up the inside of Klien - they touched wheels side on (front to front).

The move of Coulthard was not on, his front wheel hit the rear of R. Schumacher.

To me the stewards have made the correct call on this one.

Thread Information