Thread: Uber-Golf: The evolution.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Uber-Golf: The evolution.

Back in February of this year, I decided I wanted something more than 'just a car' to drive. Being into cars all my life, this came as no surprise to me or anyone I knew. So I had a few options. I thought about a muscle car- an old Cuda, Challenger, Shelby Mustang replica. Or maybe an Integra- but not some body-kitted, clear taillight mobile that sounded nasty. Or something new? Dodge Stratus RT, VW GTI 1.8T or Acura RSX Type-S. Well, it turned out I could afford the insurance on any of the new cars. Or the car payment. But not both. And living in a region that gets a lot of snow, the muscle car was impractical for winter. What was I to do? Well, there was one option I had right under my nose the whole time. A little windsor blue Golf Mk3 with about 100,000 miles on it.

It was settled, so I thought. Just some simple things. Maybe a VR6 swap, drop it, badgeless grill, and Hella dual round headlights. I'd be happy. Then I went to www.vwvortex.com. And it changed.

Going through the Mk3 forums, I saw so many different styles. The European style, with EDM bumpers, headlights, wheel styles. The tuner style, with shaved bumpers, boser hoods, and turbo balls-to-the-wall VR6 monsters. The OEM+ style- very subtle parts, most of which came straight from VAG themselves. The last one seemed to be most my style, what with me growing up going to muscle car shows where the 'all original, low miles' cars got all the attention.

So it was determined. My 2.slow Golf would be my project. I wanted to build something fun to drive at the strip, at the track, and in the hills. All while maintaining some semblance of daily driver ability, and of course something that looked the part.

It's been slow going so far. I've had a few setbacks. A blown transmission will do that, though.

Enough rambling. Here's some pictures.

The first 2 are early this year. The early stages. Cracked bumper and grill from a little run in with a fire hydrant. Three and four- replaced bumper and grill. Grill replaced with Votex Rallye grill. You wouldn't believe the output of those lights.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Thread Information