Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No More British GP

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    I dont see why the UK government would pay any attention to him, but if the situation was anything like if Bernie gives Stewart a hard time over Silverstone, he'll get more government support for a London GP etc.
    Look out for the numebr of politicians on the grid, in the hospitatity AND on the podium to see if Bernie keeps politicians 'happy' and 'paid for'
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Well they always say bad things come in 3's, so whats next after Ford's pullout and this?
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    The beginning of the end?

F1 has been going downhill steadily for a while.

The quality of the racing has deteriorated severely in the last few years.
    Fuel stops lead to the situation where races are won by the strategy of the teams, rather than driver skill.

Overtaking in pitstops replaced on-track overtaking, and many of the races have become processions.

During the late 1990s many teams started dropping out due to increasing costs, so now there are too few teams, and they are split into the top teams - Ferrari, Williams, McLaren, Renault, Toyota and BAR who are competative because they have the huge budgets of major motor manufacturers - FIAT, BMW, DaimlerChrysler, Renault, Toyota and Honda.

Then there are the the "Privateers" Sauber, Jordan, Minardi. Sauber have quite a bit of money, so are basically running last year's Ferrari. Minardi and Jordan are fighting it out for last place though.

All of the major motor co.s are merely interested in results and advertising, so that they can sell cars.

It is more of a corperate exposition than a sport.

The new tracks, and many of the existing European ones have great facilities, and high levels of investment.

Silverstone is a very poor facility compared to China. If you were a corperate sponsor, would you rather hang out in newly built, high-tech facilities in an exciting and exotic city or at a damp, run-down airstrip in Northamptonshire?

Look at what happened when a London GP was suggested:
    All of the people on the corperate/ business side liked the idea.
    It would be a great venue, and would be great for London.

All of the people who care about racing said, quite rightly, that it was stupid, because the racing would be awful.

Before I started visiting this forum, I must admit most of my F1 knowledge was based on the pre-race shows. Yes, it has been a long time coming. The pit-stop overtaking is pretty sad as it was becoming the only time David Hobbs and co. would get really excited in the race commentary.

One thing I hate about the new cars (F1) is that they allow the drivers to act like crash test dummies. Since, everyone knows its going to be a procession there is some dare-deviling for the first corner. With the modern safety cells in the cars, the drivers dive for advance placement with abandon knowing it might be the last overtaking opportunity. Knowing there lives are not really in danger.

Considering how these cars were becoming too fast for the existing tracts, the new bigger tracks are the answer. Or another solution, slower cars. The new 2.4 V8 could do that. Making you wonder, why then is Ford leaving?

Marketing and merchandising drives any major racing event now and F1 is no different. In the States, tens of thousand of people sit around an oval track watching a senseless merry-go-round of advertisements circling at a dizzying speed. "Oh look, the Tide car took the lead from the Quacker State car". While being captive to the facility's concession stands adn memorabilia shops.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Please God or any other almighty power .. please make all the F1 drivers and manufacturers come through and protest this by not racing .. or even better .. causing a barracade on the grid so the people who dont join the rebellion wont be finishing the race without bloodshed. If this happens or something similar; my life is complete. Bernie must be getting on now .. must be especially vunerable to heart attacks .. would be tragic if he were to fall on a bullet

yo dude, i like fell on a bullet, and it drove itself into me...(snake off the simpsons)
    I am the Stig

Auckland, New Zealand & Balikpapan, Indonesia
    The South Africans are trying to bring back Formula 1 to their country... so this might be the replacement for Silverstone... but, Capetown isnt ready until 2007 i think...
    "Rejection is better than regret. It's better to try and know you did your part, than to spend the rest of your days wishing you had tried"

Ive seen some articles on Bernie posibly throwing Silverstone a lifelinem i think its mainly provided that the government bridges the gap for the funds...
    I am the Stig

Ive seen some articles on Bernie posibly throwing Silverstone a lifelinem i think its mainly provided that the government bridges the gap for the funds...
    It's only ever been the money with Bernie

The BDRC has no more money and had asked the government to provude funding ( as every new GP government has been doing ). JYS said Bernie had told the government not to ! I think the wee toe-rag is playing his usual back-stabbing politics and posturing and Jackie shoudl just give him a "glesgae-kiss" and do us all a favour !!!!!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

why stop at that, pistols at dawn i say
    I am the Stig

why stop at that, pistols at dawn i say
    nah, Jackie's a true Scot., We don't go in for all that chivalry shit.
    Stick one on him when he's not expecting it

He'd probably fit in pretty good down here then.....Hmm, least expecting it ay...Maybe he'll try something if Silverstone miraculously makes it back for 2005 and theres a press conference for it..
    I am the Stig

He'd probably fit in pretty good down here then.....Hmm, least expecting it ay...Maybe he'll try something if Silverstone miraculously makes it back for 2005 and theres a press conference for it..
    Maybe a piece of Scottish historical approach to punishment might go down well ....

On June 4 1596 Alison Balfour " a known and notorious witch" was kept for 48 hours in the "caspie claws" , an iron vice crushing her arms. Whilst under this torture at Edinburgh Castle, she also had to watch her 81-year old husband pressed under 700 lbs of iron bars and her son placed in the "Spanish Boots" and given 57 blows designed to crush his bones to pulp. She also had to watch her seven year old daughter tortured by thumbscrews. Her servant was also implicated and scourged by lashing which left no skin on his body. For each of these acts she had to pay her torturers. She later recanted her 'confession' but was burned on December 16 1596. By law her persecutors were entitled to deduct the cost of her trial and execution from her estate.

We could use ALL of these on Bernie AND charge him for the effort and stress it caused

oh no, dont tell the team owners that, they'll think up the most expensive way to kill him so they finally get their share of the profits off him
    I am the Stig

Well although no contract has been worked out and are still under discussion the British GP has been included in the provisional calendar for 2005. Whether this event will be at Silverstone or not I do not know, hopefully it will be.

Here's the full provisional schedule for 2005
    06 March, Australia
    20 March, Malaysia
    03 April, Bahrain
    17 April, France*
    24 April, San Marino**
    08 May, Spain
    22 May, Monaco
    TBC, Europe
    12 June, Canada
    TBC, USA
    03 July, Britain*
    17 July, Germany
    31 July, Hungary
    21 August, Turkey
    04 September, Italy
    11 September, Belgium
    25 September, Brazil
    09 October, Japan
    TBC, China
    * Contract under discussion
    ** Subject to compliance with contract
    VIVA FERRARI!!!!!!

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!" ~ Benjamin Franklin

If everything's under control, you're going too slow ~ Mario Andretti

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!" ~ [U]Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: A Savage Journey into the Heart of the American Dream[/U]

Thread Information