Thread: Electric Supercharger

Electric Supercharger

Anyone heard of this performance enhancer? Called the eRAM electric supercharger, this electric fan fits in the air intake tube and claims to increase manifold pressure by 1 psi. They claims 15hp max and 5hp throughout the rev range. Is it possible or is this another turbonator, which simply spun air with its turbine-like stationary blades? Seems like a bargain for $299(USD), if it works.

http://www.electricsupercharger.com/index.htm
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

it's a good idea, but I would take a normal supercharger over it any day

Garbage.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by Sweeney921
    it's a good idea, but I would take a normal supercharger over it any day
    I would as well, the power here is peanuts. The cost makes it tempting though, and there are no permanent mods. Just slip the eRam in the intake and connect to the battery, reverse and your stock again.

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAdv
    I would as well, the power here is peanuts. The cost makes it tempting though, and there are no permanent mods. Just slip the eRam in the intake and connect to the battery, reverse and your stock again.
    true. I wonder if you could run one of these and a real super/turbocharger at the same time? It would be well worth the money for an e-ram if u could, but I doubt it would be plausible, since a real super/turbocharger run at much higher rpms. The e-ram would just slow down the flow of air then. interesting idea, but I doubt it'll be very popular

Quote Originally Posted by Sweeney921
    true. I wonder if you could run one of these and a real super/turbocharger at the same time? It would be well worth the money for an e-ram if u could, but I doubt it would be plausible, since a real super/turbocharger run at much higher rpms. The e-ram would just slow down the flow of air then. interesting idea, but I doubt it'll be very popular
    This is a quote from their dyno test page:

"TOYOTA MR2 TURBO GRAPH

The Toyota MR2 Turbo had its boost set at 16psi, and the e-RAM STILL provided an average of 5% increase in horsepower throughout the RPM range up to 6600rpm!

Check out the gain of over 10 hp in the three noted locations!"

I read the complete explanation, and it seams like a good product.

Here is the guarantee they claim:
    Quote Originally Posted by Performance Guarantee:
    After purchasing and (properly) installing the e-RAM on your engine, you do not feel that the performance increase is what we have claimed (4%-6% HP increase), you just need to do the following within 30 days of receiving your e-RAM to get a full refund*.. Take your car to a dyno test in your area. Make dyno runs with and without the e-RAM activated, and take a picture of how it was installed. Mail the e-RAM back to us with the picture, a copy of your receipt, and a clear copy of your dyno comparison results (signed as witnessed by the technician running the dyno). If the dyno shows the e-RAM does not increase horsepower in your engine by an average of at least 4% of its previous horsepower throughout the 3000 to 6000 rpm range, and we conclude from the picture that you have installed the unit correctly, we will give you a full refund* and even pay for 1/2 your dyno fee! (up to a maximum of $50 reimbersement) *Full refund does not include shipping charges *Please see "compatability information" section below We challenge any other manufacturer of aftermarket bolt-on horsepower devices to make the same commitment! We know it works!
    Is it laginament? Got me, I have a tornado on one of my car and it does very little, but this looks different, and I don't see tornado's being used in race cars
    The wind that blows in the Andes.

Quote Originally Posted by distress
    Is it laginament? Got me, I have a tornado on one of my car and it does very little, but this looks different, and I don't see tornado's being used in race cars
    no kidding. e-ram is forced induction. tornado isnt. thats that thing that some people put on their cars to help "air/fuel mixture."
    sorry buddy, i think you made a bad mistake buying that for "one of your cars." (can you tell i like quotations?) anway heres how that toy works... its like an add on to your carburator. you know what that is right? anyway the "tornado" claims that it boosts air/ fuel mixture by causing air that enters the carb to create a centirfugal vacuum, or in the layman's terms a vortex or air. mind you this is not at all what happens, calling it a vortex is overstatement anyway. in reality its more of a angular breeze
    anway as air passes through the carb it is pretty much straightened out, so to speak. the spinning is thus stopped, and then fuel is added created by the vacuum, but you know all this. or at least you should considering you own more than one car, and put this on one of them. so in reality it does nothing but try to impress you.

of course you could say that it actually boosts fuel efficiency, but i could throw back in your face that thats because of the pygmalian effect. you think that its doing something so your observations are biased.

anyway this e-ram thing. like all things- lets take this with a grain of salt. it says theres a boost of 4-6%. okay. but now lets consider that the motor spinning the damned thing sucks up almost 1000 watts of power. so all that power goes back and is just used to spin the alternator anyway.
    also note that for 300$ you do not get any new bushings or new seals to help your engine handle the extra pressure. so even though you might add half a horsepower, your engine becomes that much less reliable.

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    for 2psi, i wouldn't waste my time. but my dad really wants one on his Mach 1, for some odd reason.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123
    for 2psi, i wouldn't waste my time. but my dad really wants one on his Mach 1, for some odd reason.
    I don't think that the performance gains will amount to much. With just the installation of eRam, the car might be 0.2 to max 0.5 seconds faster to 60 MPH. Not great, but look at the simplicity of the install. The eRam only comes on under full-throttle, as a switch connected to the accelerator turns it on.

For example, pully driven superchargers for the Mazda Miata come with boost of 6,9, and 12 psi. For 6 psi, no internal changes are needed. For 9, an intercooler is recommended. As the boost increases detonation becomes an issue, and a cooler charge is needed. With 12 psi, you'd need dished out lower compression pistons in addition to the intercooler.

With the eRam's 1-2 psi all you're doing is slighty pressurizing, for minimal gain but also minimal additional stress on the engine.

Please post what your dad thinks of it, if he decides to get it. Whats fishy, no reviews other than the eRam sites', I haven't seen any yet.

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    It sounds fishy to me too...he's still on the fence on getting it, he may just go with a good old ram air setup, too, or just leave it as it is.

I'd leave it as it is. It's already scary to drive.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

What filters and intakes did they test this thing with ?

You can get those benefits by taking otu the restrictive stock filters and putting in a 'proper' filter eg K&N and decent induction piping.

It might just be this thing gives the extra 'draw' to suck the needed extra air throgh stock. So it may be doing nothing for a car with a decent inlet system in place.

Will be interesting to see how the balance of costs v better inlet/filter is and if this makes a difference over decent plumbing Sounds like snake-oil
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

this has been covered time and again, your cars battery does not produce enough power to drive an electric motor to effectivly pressurise your intake charge. gimmics always have those "30 day money back garantee". just like the 'male' enlargment pills, the 'female' enlargment pills, the diet pills all that crap. the truth is most people are to lazy/embarased to send it back or try and get the refund once they realize they've been had.
    UCP's Most Hardcore Burro!

Being human explains everything but excuses nothing

[QUOTE=megotmea7]this has been covered time and again, your cars battery does not produce enough power to drive an electric motor to effectivly pressurise your intake charge. QUOTE]

if the cars running it would run off the alternator, right?

Thread Information