Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: F1 rule changes for 2005 & 2006

this is just going to make more fans not want to watch F1. most people want to watch f1 because of the speed and fast cornering instead... its slower speed and cornering.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinky_boi
    this is just going to make more fans not want to watch F1. most people want to watch f1 because of the speed and fast cornering instead... its slower speed and cornering.

Most people couldn't even tell the difference on track how fast a car "looks", and I don't think anyone could on TV neither....All in all they expect the car to be 5-6 sec slower, which brings them down to 2001/2002 level. And I don't think anyone could tell without knowing what laptime they are running....and if there is more on track action, I don't think they'd care....

IMO even the tire rule would eventually be clawed back after some development, in sportscar a set of tire can be quadruple stint and last 800km with consistant grip level.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    You of course realise that if there had not been MS, RB would have clearly won the world championship. You may also want to speculate about who in absence of MS might have been the second Ferrari driver, but he might have also ended second in the championship.
    Fair point. Lets not forget that Button had the second highest number of podium finishes this year after MS though. RB drove very well to get second in the championship over Button, imo.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by motorsportnerd
    Fair point. Lets not forget that Button had the second highest number of podium finishes this year after MS though. RB drove very well to get second in the championship over Button, imo.
    which then invalidates your previous argument that having MS (in combination with the tyres and the strategy) was decisive for the Ferrari domination. What could have played a role though is MS' influence in the team, getting the technical parts sorted out and getting the strategy right. I wonder whether any other driver could have made such an impact on a team, certainly not when there are ego's like Dennis, Richards and Williams at the helm.

(and as far as Button is concerned, it is of great importance on what step of the podium you appear, third places do not add up so well as wins )
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

On a side note, it is reported before that the reason why in 2003 Rubens seems to be able to extract same performance out of the F2003-GA was because the longer wheelbase of the design, which suited Rubens' style more as primarily a rightfoot braker. F2002 and F2004 both are designed with a shorter wheel base to take advantage of the quicker transient performance and more "tossable" which suited Michael's leftfoot braking with a lot of trailing more. And both of those car Rubens have to adapt his style more akin to Michael's to master.

So maybe F2004 is not necessaily the "best car" in the absolute sense(definitely the most reliable though, this is not disputable), but the package of Michael Schumacher driving F2004 is definitely the best package this year....by far and away too....

i'd agree with that.....im not expecting BAR to be as strong next year as this year, i think the resources at Williams and McLaren should put them back above them as there's some fairly significant changes planned
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    which then invalidates your previous argument that having MS (in combination with the tyres and the strategy) was decisive for the Ferrari domination. What could have played a role though is MS' influence in the team, getting the technical parts sorted out and getting the strategy right. I wonder whether any other driver could have made such an impact on a team, certainly not when there are ego's like Dennis, Richards and Williams at the helm.

(and as far as Button is concerned, it is of great importance on what step of the podium you appear, third places do not add up so well as wins )
    No, not invalidating my previous argument. Merely pointing out that giving MS's supreme domination of this years series that RB had to drive better than ever to score second in the championship. I still think that Ferrari's domination this year was primarily due to MS, tyres and team strategy in that order. RB benefitted from the tyres and team strategy, but had to drive extra well to finish second to MS this year given that the F2004 was a nervous car that RB found hard to set up.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

If the idea of the new rules is to supposedly neutralise the advantage that Ferrari and Michael Schumacher have at present, then I suspect that they are doomed to failure.
    Has it occured to anyone at FOCA that by making the cars harder to drive, cutting downforce, et al, that they will merely play to the strengths of Michael Schumacher and Ferrari? By that, I mean Schumacher's proven ability to pick up and work with whatever he's given? Also Ferrari's recent track record in adapting to new rules (ie. in 2003) shows that they will quickly get on top of any new technical rules.

It seems to me that the new rules are tailor made to suit the most complete all-round driver in todays series, and makes it more likely that Schumacher will win an 8th World Championship next year.

Given that suspicion that the proposed new rules will actually play into MS's hands, I still support the sentiment. F1 needs to cut costs, encourage more teams and encourage passing.
    However, there's no point specifically trying to noble MS or Ferrari - I suspect that changing the rules won't have any effect on their domination of F1, but rather play to their strengths.
    The new rules may make the battle for second more entertaining though...

Quote Originally Posted by Chinky_boi
    Well as the number of fans is fast dwindling due to the lack of any racing over a GP weekend, I think it is a good idea.

Of course we won't know how effective these rules will be in allowing more on-track action untill next season.
    Thanks for all the fish

Auckland, New Zealand & Balikpapan, Indonesia
    Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    thats unfair though, ferrari didnt even have the best car this year, its believed BAR did as well as the most powerful engine, and he still proved his dominance. its too unfair to cut him down because of his skill, despite how it may be hurting the sport
    whoa... i always thought that ferrari has the best cars... how do u know that the BAR has the better cars? what about the Melbourne grand prix? do you remember how far the two ferraris were from the rest of the group? i think alonso (who was 3rd) was about 40 seconds away from barrichello (2nd) and he was about 15 secs away from michael i think...
    "Rejection is better than regret. It's better to try and know you did your part, than to spend the rest of your days wishing you had tried"

Most people in the know seem to agree the Honda engine is pushing about 920hp, making it the most powerful, and theyre saying the BAR and Renault chassis's are probably the better balanced of the grid....

Melbourne was the first race of the season still...i know theres the winter testing and everything, but i think i'd be more interested it comparing performances after the teams continued to develop the cars throughout the year. Remember Webber ended up splittin the Ferrari's at Malaysia in qualifying, but that wasnt an indication of the pace of the field....
    I am the Stig

Toyota F1

Did any one get the Hi Res Toyota F1 Pics

Man, i always thought F1 was teh "real" kind of racing, the kind that wanted safe driving, but put safty parallel to speed. maybe i was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by raylore
    Did any one get the Hi Res Toyota F1 Pics
    Here you go
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by 16-4Veyron
    Man, i always thought F1 was teh "real" kind of racing, the kind that wanted safe driving, but put safty parallel to speed. maybe i was wrong.
    It is! It's the pinnacle of automotive technology! The cars however have become too fast and this is beginning to be unsafe and uninteresting (as the cars create a big "wake" in the air behind them, making overtaking harder). To try and help this, the FIA have implemented some rules which will reduce speeds back into the "safety zone" while trying to promote overtaking as well. Trust me, with the rate at which the manufacturers recover the lost downforce and power loss is incredible and within a few years, F1 cars will definitely need further regulations put in place.

Thread Information