View Poll Results: Do you get under your car?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • What's a dipstick? You mean the bonnet opens?

2 8.33%
  • Erm.. I can find the brake pads in a hurry...

2 8.33%
  • Front end, back end, middle end, just not the engine.

11 45.83%
  • Rebuilt the engine, without having anything left over.

9 37.50%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you do your own car work?

Do you do your own car work?

Ok, we've had 'Do You Own Your Own Car', but do any of you guys so the mechanic work too? I'm talking more than oil changes here, I mean things like clutches, CV joints, wheel bearings, taken the engine out or had the head off.. that sorta thing. Lets see just how much you lot know about your cars.

I do all the interior and body work to my car, i can change brake pads and all that but i wont touch the engine except to change oil etc. i leave that to people with training.
    The Datto will rage again...

not really touched my engine except for fiddling with the intake but I've swapped the engine out of nigel's old car with help and worked on Egg Nog's also with help, so I'm not competent by any stretch but with instructions I can do most things , gof bless the Haynes manual the bible of any car.
    "If you feel like you're in control you're not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

dont have a car, and therefore havent really done much. the extent of my technical experience with cars is putting new oil in mums car.
    halo 2 - november 9

I do all the work on my car, only i don't really fall into any of those categories. I do all the work, and when it comes to engine I don't rebuild it but i have had the clutch and flywheel off, to be lightened, and replaced the rocker cover with a nice shiney one.
    Just call me Tom

Please visit www.tomranson.com and make me feel loved.

ricing up the engine are we?
    The Datto will rage again...

Oil changes and rarely as my apt complex frowns upon it. The mechanical isn't really that tough, just need power tools and proper jacks, etc.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

I'm haven't got into engine itself much. I don't own a car but when something broke on my dad's Nissan Sentra (which hopefully I be able to afford to own soon), I helped fix it. This includes a alternator, brake master cylinder, the starter, and I also did the oil changes and little maintenance stuff. Once I get the Sentra I'll be putting a new engine in (I've got a couple of friends that work in bodywork and have pulled engines quite a bit), and then another buddy of mine will be helping me learn with the old engine how to properly tear down an engine and put it back together.
    VIVA FERRARI!!!!!!

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!" ~ Benjamin Franklin

If everything's under control, you're going too slow ~ Mario Andretti

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!" ~ [U]Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: A Savage Journey into the Heart of the American Dream[/U]

most of my work gets done "contra" style or very cheap so i don't do much to my car... i know a lot of local automotive businesses around Osborne Park so i can always work my way into getting done cheap...

contra = you scratch my back and i will scratch yours kind of work...

example someone fixes my exhaust, i detail their car etc...

i do all my own work on my cars..........specially the twinturbo'd mustang. Seems there aren't alot of people that know how to work on turbocharged car's.........hotwheels
    1992 mustang gt twinturbo'd
    1988 mustang gt bottlefed
    2004 mach 1 resting in garage
    see pic's of my car's at www.turborides.com

Used to on my Redline. Kinda screwed something up. So dealer had to fix it.

Lately thought, I have had to either do it myself or take it to a shop. The mechanics at the Pontiac dealer take to long, and seem to not know much about a Fiero.

I first take a look myself usually if I notice something is wrong, but too bad I dont know that much about the stuff under the hood. So If I got engine or any other hard technichal problems I have take it to the 45$ an hour mechanic :S

ive never done anything apart from repair a tire and paint the car......oh boolax
    There is 3 people on a boat with loads of children running around it, the 3 people are: 1. Bob geldof, 2. Ozzy Osbourne, and 3. Micheal jackson, they're sailing out for the G8 live aid, they've hit a rock and they're sinking, bob says: "save the children!" ozzy says: "Fuc the children!"

Micheal says "have we got time?"

Quote Originally Posted by pimento
    Ok, we've had 'Do You Own Your Own Car', but do any of you guys so the mechanic work too? I'm talking more than oil changes here, I mean things like clutches, CV joints, wheel bearings, taken the engine out or had the head off.. that sorta thing. Lets see just how much you lot know about your cars.

hell no i will never tuch the eng.....no thankss
    Some Rulers Are Immortalized In Marble Others,
    In Carbon Fiber.{Hard Core Audi Fan}Ich Fahr Omnibus!
    """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

I dont have a car but i have torn down an engine with a friend before,
    Didnt get to put it back to gether because he sent it of to be bored out (302 to about 308) .
    Although this was just an old simple pushrod ford 302, under the hood of a real car there is too much electonic crap for me to "really" know whats what.
    < 1 - 2 - to the bass >

Thread Information