Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My 1986 Porsche 944 - UPDATE: Lots more photos!

Congratulations. Take care of it.

Is the 944 your only car? As in being your daily driven car?
    The wind that blows in the Andes.

Egg Nog, Porschephile, I have a question. Is the 924S, the one with the 944 engine, as good a car as the 944 or does the '44 have other advantages as well? I also like those basic looking 924S'.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

The 944 is my only car that I drive, yes. I don't use it to commute or anything, so it's not really a daily driver... it's just a whenever driver

PerfAdv... I don't actually consider myself a Porschephile - I came upon the 914 by accident, and the 944 just happened to be the kind of car I was looking for at the kind of price I was looking for. I like certain Porsches, but I'm not a dedicated fan of the marque. I know it seems strange given the circumstances, but I'm really not a Porschephile!

The 924 (pretty much all models) was a pretty crappy car overall. It was riddled with quality control issues and was very prone to breaking down. The electrician who I often work with used to own one, and he's told me many stories about how terrible it was. According to most sources I've checked, most of the problems seemed to have been sorted out with the 944, and the 3rd series (968) only got better
    Last edited by Egg Nog; 10-29-2004 at 08:39 PM.

This was my understanding of the 924 as well, I just like the styling. I thought that with the 'S' model, when it got the 2.5 motor from the 944 it became a decent car. But really the rest of the car was still there and only the engine was better.

Enjoy the 944, one of the best handling cars ever
    Last edited by PerfAdv; 10-30-2004 at 01:59 AM.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAdv
    Enjoy the 944, one of the best handling cars ever
    I hadn't really taken it for any spirited driving until last night, and I was definitely very impressed. No excessive speeding or anything unsafe, but I could definitely test the limits of its handling along the 20-minute constantly winding empty road home -

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    I hadn't really taken it for any spirited driving until last night, and I was definitely very impressed. No excessive speeding or anything unsafe, but I could definitely test the limits of its handling along the 20-minute constantly winding empty road home -
    tut-tut that won't have been excessive speed on the public highways - perchance a little 'street racing'

The 944 is a much UNDER-rated car. They're getting snapped up in the UK, seemingly, to create great trackday cars with a little lightening and tuning
    Seemingly there are a couple prepped that run at knockhill, I'll try and find the guys next time I'm up and see if they've any hints.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    tut-tut that won't have been excessive speed on the public highways - perchance a little 'street racing'
    I'm confused... I said that the was no excessive speeding

By the way, I don't really plan on making changes to the car, except possibly getting some used "phone dial" wheels with some performance rubber so I can switch 'em up once winter's over. The stock wheels have got all-seasons on them right now

I might consider building myself a really mean 944 in the far future, but I think I'd do it with a 944S... the Turbo is far too costly (especially to maintain), and the whole N/A factor is just more appealing to me. The S' 16v engine has a lot more potential than my 8v unit, too.

The Ultimate N/A would be to get a 944S2... you can beef that engine up quite a bit with the right equipement, 260hp wouldn't be too difficult. The only problem is cost - The only one for sale in Vancouver right now costs about 9 times what I paid for my current 944

Congratulations for acquiring another classic machine!

Just want to say how glad I was when I read about your new Porsche! Did You managed to get that Alpine Radio that was on the proof of ownership pic?

Quote Originally Posted by Alcomet
    Just want to say how glad I was when I read about your new Porsche! Did You managed to get that Alpine Radio that was on the proof of ownership pic?
    Yeah, came with the car - Only problem is that it skips when I go over speed bumps, but thats no biggie ...

I already have a driving CD burned, too:

-Malmsteen
    -Satriani
    -Vai
    -The Doors
    -Van Halen
    -The Who
    -Brian Eno
    -Hendrix

I took a bunch more photos about an hour ago... I'll take a bunch more really high-res ones later on, but the weather hasn't exactly been perfect for taking photos around here lately
    Attached Images Attached Images

More...

A few more...

Last ones...

Looks amazing, are you sure those weren't taken in 1986??

I don't think I quite knew how to operate a camera back in 1986, let alone drive a car - I wasn't too old back then, you know

Thanks Niko

Thread Information