Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: mr2 Engine swap recommendations

wont work... the exhaust port is where your axle would be. Many have tried.

Actually the hot rod world has been very open to this car. Where as the import world seems to be very closed minded. Mine is not the first GM powered MR2, Carl Crawford was the first to use a GM supercharged V6 in his outstanding yellow MK1 creation.

My first swap was in the late 1970s when I installed a V8 into my Vega. I do this because I love it... not to impress kids my daughters age. I find that todays hot rod world, imports included, has too much "follow me" and "do what I do" attitude. Doing stuff that is different is frowned apon. Hey you are intitled to your own oppinion.

Can you show me where the LS1 is smaller? The length is the important part...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Strong
    Can you show me where the LS1 is smaller? The length is the important part...
    "(the ls1) two inches shorter(narrower) than the Caddy's V-8, and close in length."
    http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=2
    I found that the northstar was 31" long, while the LS1 is 27.3"(hotrod.com) long. So the LS1 is shorter, narrower, and lighter while producing more power.

cool..

I found this as well...
    FWD Northstar General dimensions - 28"W, 26"H, 31"L

some very cool info about the LS1
    http://members.tripod.com/~grannys/e...chevrolet.html

so now where do I find a transaxle that will handle that kind of power?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Strong
    cool..

I found this as well...
    FWD Northstar General dimensions - 28"W, 26"H, 31"L

some very cool info about the LS1
    http://members.tripod.com/~grannys/e...chevrolet.html

so now where do I find a transaxle that will handle that kind of power?
    The Vette has a transaxle, but i doubt that would fit an MR2...

Bill Strong, welcome to the board. Now that you are a member, I would like to nominate the Toystar for the best user ride on the board. UCP best users rides
    85 red Toyota MR2
    93 infiniti G20 (sold)
    86 mr2 show car

UCP's most totally hardcore crazy MR2-or-anything-else-that-runs-on-4A-G-power fan. I rilly like MR2s

Hey guys, I forgot about this thread, I really appreciate the responses. I think I would keep it within the MR2 family as someone recommended. How much would that cost?

to do a 3sgte properly would cost is the range of $5000, maybe less. Carl Crawford at www.speed-source.net was charging $5000, that included the labour and the 1/2 clip. He does an awesome job as well.
    Go to www.mr2oc.com, register and do some reading and searching. All of your answers are there.
    In fact you will see that the trend is getting away from the 3sgte and moving to the late model 24 valve V6 engines. Paul Woods has both a V6 MK1 and a 3sgte(gen3) MK1.5, and says the V6 is much faster and much more enjoyable to drive. So much so that he sold the MK1.5.
    Also the Ultimate Street Car Championship was just won by a V6 powered MR2 owned by Brad Bedell http://bedellracing.home.comcast.net/uscc.html
    You can see my sticker below the side vent

Thanks a lot Bill, I really respect your work.

turbo the supercharged motor!!! thats where its at. as long as you can get a standalone computer to control everything, thats the way to do it. the supercharger effectivly increases the size of the engine. that allows you to run a larger turbo than normal (which means more power) plus lag is minimal because you are running on the supercharger! the turbo also spools quicker, due to more air flowing into and therefore out of the combustion chamber, AND the s/c creates a large vacumme force which spools the turbo quicker. and once the turbo spools, it stuffs air into the supercharger, negating the parasitic loss of the s/c (if it doesnt need as much force to compress the air, it wont bog the motor)

the only hard part of this set up is the tuning. but if you have a stand alone engine management system and access to a dyno, it wont be that killer.

Quote Originally Posted by TEXSRT4
    turbo the supercharged motor!!! thats where its at. as long as you can get a standalone computer to control everything, thats the way to do it. the supercharger effectivly increases the size of the engine. that allows you to run a larger turbo than normal (which means more power) plus lag is minimal because you are running on the supercharger! the turbo also spools quicker, due to more air flowing into and therefore out of the combustion chamber, AND the s/c creates a large vacumme force which spools the turbo quicker. and once the turbo spools, it stuffs air into the supercharger, negating the parasitic loss of the s/c (if it doesnt need as much force to compress the air, it wont bog the motor)

the only hard part of this set up is the tuning. but if you have a stand alone engine management system and access to a dyno, it wont be that killer.
    wow

you're thinking of compound turbocharging, where two hairdryers are placed inline instead of parallel. if you try doing that you're going to get something around 50psi of boost (8 x 8 - 14.7norm)

thats too much boost buddy

ahh, but the issue here is you cant compoud the boost. all boost is is a measurement of resistance. you have to think CFM or amount of air flow. PSI-FI motorsports makes a setup for the minicooper type s. stock s/c puts in 10psi, plus 9psi on a turbo. total boost is 22psi. the supercharger doesnt double the amount of boost, it just increases air flow. the turbo ends up moving more air. picture it, not as a multiplier of boost levels, but a multiplier of engine displacement

its been done on everything from MR2's to mustangs, infact PSI-FI has kits for the supercharged cobalt/saturn ion redline, and the minicooper type s.

there is also a srt4 twincharge system on the drawing board too

oh and there was a type R integra that is running around with this setup too!

Quote Originally Posted by TEXSRT4
    ahh, but the issue here is you cant compoud the boost. all boost is is a measurement of resistance.
    i dont really understand what you're trying to say, but maybe thats just the texasness. but i think you're somehow confused with sequential forced induction. its never done sequentially with a supercharger, but it is with turbo's. i've never heard of mixing the two.

-boost is a measure of pressure after the point 14.7psi by the way

it has been done more than once. like i said, i can buy a kit right now for the mini cooper or the ion redline.

you can only measure boost by the resistance it causes. its a difference between pressure and volume. boost is pressure, cfm is volume. volume is whats important.

the supercharger spins at a set rate compared to the motor. its connected mechanically to the crankshaft (pulleys and belts), so it can only spin so fast at a set engine rpm. if it is sucking air directly out of the atmosphere, it pressurises it to say 10psi. its making 10 lbs of boost. well if its not sucking air out of the atmosphere but out of a pressurised tube (tube presurised by turbo at say 15psi) it can only move it into the engine. it doenst compound the boost (10psi x 15psi) instead the turbo pressurised it to 15psi and the supercharger only adds to it a little bit more, do to the spinning blades (10psi - however this is due more to efficiency of supercharger and motor) so you get a total of 25psi into the motor.

and just because you havent seen it done doesnt mean that its not done. its expensive to setup, but it is done. infact sportcompact car in one of their USSC competition ran an MR2 with both. its very effective once you get it working.

i know the sequential turbo setup, i have built more than one supra. no, this is a totally new idea, and only a few people understand (if people dont understand they are hesitant to try it) or run it.
    Last edited by TEXSRT4; 11-27-2004 at 04:15 PM.

Thread Information