Thread: A Tribute to a great man

A Tribute to a great man

yesterday, the united arab emirates received the tragic news that its leader, Sheikh Zayed, had passes away. his funeral is taking place as i type this down.

the U.A.E. was formed by 6 arab states coming together under one common leadership and rule on the 2nd of december, 1971 (the 7th state joining in 1972). the first ruler was zayed, who was the ruler of the largest and richest of the member states, Abu Dhabi. it was under his rule that the discovery of oil was made in the region, and under his guidance and leadership that the U.A.E. went from just another space-occupying peice of land on the globe to a well known and recognised and respected country.

he was extremely generous, loving and compassionate, and a true visionary.

"Sheikh Zayed was a model of generosity, wisdom and leadership. The whole world knew him as a man of development, justice and civilisation."
    Colin Powell, US secretary of state

Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak said that the Sheikh was "a very dear friend, a leader and the best of men".

He spent a lot of time and money to help the poor and needy all over the world, and was a strong supporter of Arab Rights, specially those of Lebanon and Palestine against the israeli occupation.

he was a great man.

he will be missed.
    wat the hell do i put as a siggy?!?!?!

R.I.P Sheikh Zayed

Here in Qatar... Prayers have been heard through out the day... all the radio stations included. He really was an amazing person... The back bone of the success of the UAE in every way...
    Alright brain... you don't like me and I don't like you... but lets just do this...

land of the Desert Extreme Challenge Rally
    Anywayz, a small part of it was given by tuner. Heres the rest:

In Feb 1968, the rulers of Abu Dhabi and Dubai met to discuss unity. It was followed by a call to all the other independant emirates(Bahrain and Qatar were not countries as yet).

The rulers of the other emirates(+ the rulers of Qatar and Bahrain) answered the call and met to discuss unity.

In July 1971, the rulers of 6 emirates met in Dubai and set up a united state. In the meantime, Qatar and Bahrain announced their own independance.

On the 2nd of Dec 1971, The U.A.E was officialy announced and a temporary constitution was made. On the same day, Sheikh Zayed was elected as president and Sheikh Maktoum as Vice-President.

In Feb 1972, Ras-ul-Khaimah joined the Union, so we now have 7 emirates.
    Last edited by spi-ti-tout; 11-04-2004 at 09:12 AM.

hey spit...stop spittin shit ayt...he was a great n amazin guy. u dont like it, tuff...but he did more for uae and its ppl (and for the residents too, not only citizens) than anyone else did. dont blieve me? go do a bit of readin on his life n accomplishments. if u kno how to read that is...

dam sum ppl can b stupid...poor guy's dead for gods sake...u dont like him, atleast stuff it for a bit b4 chattin shit.
    didnt think u cud get that dum, dude....*shakes head*

People die everyday, gain some perspective. He may have made a difference, maybe someone in the same position would have done better or done worse, who knows? There's no use getting into an argument over it anyway.

im only bringing this thread back to mention one small but important fact (atleast to those of us who live here in the U.A.E.).

2nd of december is the national day here, the day the arab states came together to form U.A.E. today was the first national day, since the formation of the country, that the leader will not be a part of...

flags will remain at half-ast for another 10 or so days.

Well the guy did something (peacefully I presume) that a lot of other leaders in that region can not seem to acomplish. Uniting different states prosperously (and peacefully). Looking at UAE ( and I know very little about the nation) you would think it would stand as a shining example of what can be achieved in that often troubled part of the world. I can assure you far fewer people in Australia would lament the demise of nearly any of our political leaders.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Quote Originally Posted by crisis
    Well the guy did something (peacefully I presume) that a lot of other leaders in that region can not seem to acomplish. Uniting different states prosperously (and peacefully). Looking at UAE ( and I know very little about the nation) you would think it would stand as a shining example of what can be achieved in that often troubled part of the world. I can assure you far fewer people in Australia would lament the demise of nearly any of our political leaders.
    lol.... I think that could be said for most countries...
    Thats when the celebrations actually start... hehe.
    Alright brain... you don't like me and I don't like you... but lets just do this...

Thread Information