Page 31 of 55 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: Automotive idiot stories...

You have that the wrong way around, newly qualified techs only do servicing and PDIs if they work for a large garage. All repair, diagnostic and inspection work is done by experienced mechanics.
    PPC - Put a V8 in it!

I meant service work meaning behind a counter. And the diag/warranty inspection work is paid by the manufacturer. They work directly for the OEM going from dealer to dealer making sure that procedures are being followed, and diagnosing- usually drivability concerns- cars that even the fully ASE certified A-techs can't fix. But they don't get their hands dirty themselves.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Another one from the files of kids at my school. Keep in mind these people will be servicing your car in the future.

So I'm in Power and Performance, which is a class about high performance parts- exhaust, intakes, turbos, nitrous, fuel and spark systems. We were going over some stuff on ignitions today, and this kid in the back of the class raises his hand and says his 03 Ram Hemi has 16 spark plugs.

Intrigued by this, the teacher took us all out to the shop and had the kid bring his truck in. Before he even pops the hood I say to him, "If 8 of your spark plugs are fuel injectors I'm kicking your ass..." So he opens the hood. I count 8 conventional spark plugs. And 8 fuel injectors directly on top of the valve covers. Next to the spark plugs. He thought his fuel injectors were coil-on-plugs.

Where's my bang-head icon when I need it?
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Well I never would have expected a student, someone who by definition doesn't know about the subject they are being taught, to get something wrong. There was a LPG conversion car at work that had 12 injectors and the spark plugs were hidden under a mass of wires and pipes. Now if I didn't notice the LPG sticker on the back I would have thought it was some sort of straight 12, rather than a bodged together 6.

Also, you can do diagnostic and inspection work with being directly employed by the manufacturer. When you work at a dealer they usually send you on training courses for their cars, whereas manufacturers have in-house classrooms (in the case of the Bentley Factory thats just across town from here)
    PPC - Put a V8 in it!

I've had a few close calls lately. First of all, I was almost backed into by a truck reversing out of a parking spot at the mall the other week. I had my butt half out of my own stall and stopped when I saw that he was reversing. Now, although he had plenty of room, he proceeded to back up towards me and it wasn't until he was mere centimeters off of my tail that I put her in first and shot back into my spot. The idiot didn't even notice me. Since that incident I've had dozens of people cutting corners on their left turns in intersections, to the point of almost scraping my left front. I don't go over the stop line either, but they just can't seem to make the effort to make a wide enough turn to keep me from turning pail everytime I'm at a light. Frustrating thing, city driving.

That happens in this country too, only with right turns. I walked past a car that had stopped completly paste the stop line, cringing at what was about to happen... and sure enough... two very damaged cars and neither driver knew how it could have happened.
    PPC - Put a V8 in it!

This isn't much of a story, or a story at all (I will try to think of one), but here in Canada I am sure that the cops in Quebec love nailing all the Ontarians that try to turn right on reds - it's illegal in that province. And it's funny because of the pseudo-serious anglo-franco antipathy that exists in this country.

Aren't most of the Canadian residents Canadian rather than English or French?
    PPC - Put a V8 in it!

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy
    This isn't much of a story, or a story at all (I will try to think of one), but here in Canada I am sure that the cops in Quebec love nailing all the Ontarians that try to turn right on reds - it's illegal in that province. And it's funny because of the pseudo-serious anglo-franco antipathy that exists in this country.
    Dude, it's only illegal in Montreal

And the police have enough to worry about with all the crappy drivers in Montreal anyway

Everybody is Canadian but some Quebecers want their own country and that causes large resentment amoung "English" and "French". And why would such a pro city make it illegal to turn right on reds? You can turn right on the Circuit de Gilles Villeneuve!

I know a lady that just bought a car for $10,000 dihatsu 5 speed manual.. 2 things wrong here, 1 she hasn't driven in 10 years, And she can't drive a manual.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Maybe she wants to learn and then have a nice car to drive afterwards, assuming the Daihatsu is worth $10,000.
    PPC - Put a V8 in it!

No she is just a toss She didn't drive the car or go for a drive in it. Now a friend needs too show her how too drive one, She could have for that price bought a better car with auto.
    My friend isnt too happy he has too run her up and down the street bunny hopping till she can drive one
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

There is a Acura NSX in our school.

OMG how stupid is that!!
    PPC - Put a V8 in it!

Thread Information