View Poll Results: American Domestics VS Imports

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • American Domestics

16 25.40%
  • Imports(all other cars around the world)

47 74.60%
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Domestic Vs Imports

Quote Originally Posted by Godlaus
    I'd like to see europe come up with a car that costs 70k that can beat a Z06 around the track though. I can't think of any off the top of my head.
    may be GM should consider increasing the prices, in order to get their stock out of the junk status that they have now.....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    Normal?
    Yes, normal.
    Here is a comparsion.

The cars in the first photo are real Cadillacs that look like real Cadillacs.

The "thing" in the second photo is not a real Cadillac.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

I'd like to see europe come up with a car that costs 70k that can beat a Z06 around the track though. I can't think of any off the top of my head.
    The z06 only costs 70k in America, when it gets imported to europe the price rockets.

Let's repeat ..... IT DEPENDS ON THE TRACK.

The Elise will win on some. On others - esp with poor tarmac or option to leap kerbs and cut grass - then a SUbaru woudl do it.

The Radical beat it round Nurburgring, it IS street legal, it CAN be used as a daily driver You'd have to be mad to do it in an SR8 though
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Let's repeat ..... IT DEPENDS ON THE TRACK.

The Elise will win on some. On others - esp with poor tarmac or option to leap kerbs and cut grass - then a SUbaru woudl do it.

The Radical beat it round Nurburgring, it IS street legal, it CAN be used as a daily driver You'd have to be mad to do it in an SR8 though
    Some guy in Japan bought the first Radical SR8 Turbo road legal version available to the public

European cars.
    My other signature has a V12

ok the S7 is the fastest production car in the us and the bugatti veyron is the fastest production car in the world there is no buts about it and i qoute CAR and DRIVER on that yeah you think that the Mosler beats the S7 the molser MT900S and the MT900R they are not production cars and that car is american we are not talking about american vs american we are talking about american (domestic) vs imports

Quote Originally Posted by civicssuck
    ok the S7 is the fastest production car in the us and the bugatti veyron is the fastest production car in the world there is no buts about it and i qoute CAR and DRIVER on that yeah you think that the Mosler beats the S7 the molser MT900S and the MT900R they are not production cars and that car is american we are not talking about american vs american we are talking about american (domestic) vs imports
    and breathe
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by civicssuck
    P.u,n'c-t:u;a"t_i/o n please.

Bay Area, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way,
    Is the Veyron considered domestic or do they have dealers in the US?
    The Ace of All Aces.

Crysis. Maximum Game.

Quote Originally Posted by NuclearCrap
    Is the Veyron considered domestic or do they have dealers in the US?
    Veyron is an import, at least to Americans. I guess Italians can call it domestic.

Bay Area, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way,
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella
    Veyron is an import, at least to Americans. I guess Italians can call it domestic.
    I vote for imports!!!
    The Ace of All Aces.

Crysis. Maximum Game.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500
    Yes, normal.
    Here is a comparsion.

The cars in the first photo are real Cadillacs that look like real Cadillacs.

The "thing" in the second photo is not a real Cadillac.
    although an interesting comparison it is besides the point. We were comparing European and American cars, and you suggested that 60-ies US cars had normal styling.
    I just wanted to point out that those long finned behemoths can not be considered "normal" compared to European styling of those days.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    although an interesting comparison it is besides the point. We were comparing European and American cars, and you suggested that 60-ies US cars had normal styling.
    I just wanted to point out that those long finned behemoths can not be considered "normal" compared to European styling of those days.
    After 1963, there were no long-fins on Cadillacs (short fins) and none at all on other makes of U.S. cars.

Yes, I do think '60s U.S. cars had normal styling... certainly better than the cookie-cutter, blob- or egg-shaped cars of today. Or the boxy SUVs. Every once in a while I show a photo of a late-model car... you know, the ones that looked like they have been squashed at the front and rear, and she says, "Is that supposed to be a car?"

Believe me, when a 1960s American car pulls into a parking lot, it gets a lot more stares than the blob-like BMWs or Mercedes or whatever.

BTW, some European cars from the '60s (like Rolls-Royce, Mercedes, Volvo) still had 1940s or 1950s styling.

There is one European back in the 1960s who would disagree with you. I found this in the letters section of Motor Trend, Feb., 1965:

"In response to a recent letter, I'd like to disagree with the writer, who expressed a dislike for the 2+2 fastbacks. If they're not appreciated in the U.S., for goodness' sake, send them here. Most of our styling, except in American-backed frims, such as Vauxhall, is horrid."
    - Richard Hardy, Isle of Wright, England
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

Interesting, especially the comment of the British guy. Probably he forgot the Jaguars sedans of that time and was concentrating on the products of BMC. I also gather if you would dig deeper you could find enough letters saying exactly the opposite. It is like turning a street interview on TV with just a bystander into the factual world news

I guess if I would turn into the parking lot with a tail fin Mercedes 220 or a BMW 502 I would get similar stares as you are getting.

Furthermore the styling of 1968 Mercedes S-class in infinetely more refined than any of the Caddy's you are so fond of. Of course this is a matter of taste. The only point I make is that for us Europeans, the sixties american styling is not called "normal".

btw, the englishman lives on the Isle of Wight and not WRight, maybe you wanted him to be right but that is something else
    Last edited by henk4; 12-15-2005 at 12:54 AM.

Thread Information