Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Track Car, Need Help

Track Car, Need Help

Hey guys, im looking into just getting a moderate first car, used a4 or a6, (instead of a 993, im not giving up on my dream, just thinking) and saving up to get a track car, soemthing like an early 911, a 944, or about a 2000 golf.

Im wondering what i would need to do to the car to make it competitive on the track, in terms of power, weight reduction, fuel delivery etc. and how i should/can go about doing these things.

Any input would be great, and specific details and links would be great. Thanks!
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

depends what class you put it in or if it was club racing etc.....

me personally i'd be looking at a comfy race seat, helmet with good ventilation and a 4 point harness at the minimum....you dont want to be sliding around inside the car trying to keep control...

if you had some serious power, you might consider a roll bar or roll cage but its not entirely necessary i guess unless youve got some serious figures..
    I am the Stig

i was hoping something in the 300-400hp range, i think id strip the interior of everything but the seat the steering wheel

something like that then would be getting serious then IMO. if its a purely track car and doesnt need to be street legal, then i guess its only the rules for the track that you have to worry about, so i guess for around here, that means you could get away with replacing the steering wheel of a car with an airbag etc.

stripping out the interior i guess is alright, gets rid of some weight at least but you dont really need to do much more than get rid of the unused seats, be it just the passenger seat or if its a 4 door, the rear seat.
    I am the Stig

yeah i plan on having this be a pure track car, so no street laws need to be followed.

i had a long talk on instant messanger with johnnynumfiv and i got alot of good ideas for modding a race car

no, im saying instead of getting a 993, id get an a4 or a, and then get a track car in addition, for the same price. not a 300-400hp first car

where did eggnog's post go? did he delete it?

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche
    a 2000 golf.
    As a track car?

Why not get a proper track car?

You're idea to have it non-road legal means that you will already be trailering it, so why not go all out on something like a Caterham, Radical etc? I'm sure it wouldn't cost too much to import one, and as it isn't going on the road it probably doesn't matter that it isn't street leagal.

It'd be much faster than any 300 - 400 bhp car that you are thinking of.

Top Gear times:
    Ferrari Enzo - 1:19
    Radical SR3 - 1:19
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    As a track car?

Why not get a proper track car?

You're idea to have it non-road legal means that you will already be trailering it, so why not go all out on something like a Caterham, Radical etc? I'm sure it wouldn't cost too much to import one, and as it isn't going on the road it probably doesn't matter that it isn't street leagal.

It'd be much faster than any 300 - 400 bhp car that you are thinking of.

Top Gear times:
    Ferrari Enzo - 1:19
    Radical SR3 - 1:19
    yeah i thought about it, but i think it might cost quite a bit to import one of those

300-400hp is totally ridiculous for anyone your age to be driving. Don't bullshit any of us with advnced drivers course and racing schools. You need alot of experience to drive cars with that much power. Be sensible and get a car thats under 200hp.

I don't wanna sound mean or anything, just letting you know that I think it'd be ridiculous for any teenager to have a 300-400hp car. Or a 993 for that matter. Get an Audi A4, thats a more sensible idea.

A radical will cost you about 80K usd....probably not what you want. A kit-based Lotus 7-clone will probably suit the need of having a "track car".....If you just want to have fun you don't need to have big power. A light weight sports car is the way to go...

Listen to Spastik.

Have you looked at the history of the best track drivers out there.

They dont' start out in 400bhp cars, why NOT ? Because you don't learn HADNLING.
    Powere will get you out of trouble and frankly without the experience WEUIGHT will get you into trouble.

Take it from me - I've seen many rich-playtoys wrecked - start in small, light low powered and LEARN THE CRAFT. Then move up performance - handling AND power - as you reach the limits of the various vehicles.

Also it lets you find out if you're any good before you upset too many other folks. Experienced drivers don't like noobs who have poiwer to GET to a corner beside them and lack the skill to brake and take the corner quickly. It all ends up in bashed panels and paddock fights If it continues then the Clerk may actually ban you - and THAT is not good !!

In your first few years you shoudl try to expereince as many different types of car as you can before investing all your efforts to hone the skills on one. You may find you're naturla balance is best in a FWD, or maybe you have the vision and technique to succeed in single seater. A huge range of cars exist for trackdays AND racing.

If you still feel the need to SPEND first then I'd advise an Elise or 7-copy ( SYlva has best adjustable suspension ) as a good start point.

Dont' get carried away thinking Radical. These are serious cars that with the wrong setup for a track will just become an expensive piece of metal and fibreglass embedded in the armco barrier. I'd ONLY suggset this route if the track you used has a Radical representative who does all the setup for you. Setting up a variable geometry suspension needs FIRST the skill to drive fast adn SECOND the skill to translate problems into adjustments ( even some F1 drivers arent' good at THAT )

So SLOW DOWN.
    You risk running ( and crashing ) before you can walk.
    Think of how you learned to swim and consider WHY it succeeded.
    The same is true for driving cars quickly.

IF you intend real racing then get into a kart season or a single-make saloon season. it will teach you how to use track SPACE safely and quickly.

Hope this helps and trying to slow you down isnt' a big negative for you.
    BUT if you want it to be a positive experience it's worth it. Nothing demoralises up-coming drivers more than only getting 2 laps and spending the rest of the day in the gravel trap and the rest of the month trying to fix the broken bits Go out in a 911 and I can assure you that will happen. 911s take on their old handling characteristics when pushed on track and LOVE going backwards at high speed into tyres
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Spastik_Roach
    I don't wanna sound mean or anything, just letting you know that I think it'd be ridiculous for any teenager to have a 300-400hp car. Or a 993 for that matter. Get an Audi A4, thats a more sensible idea.
    i dont mean for a street car, i mean for a race car, im thinking about an a4, c-class, 993 or something like that for street, then something like a 944, caterham 7, lotus something like that for race

man i have a 100hp (if that) datsun for my track car and i have HEAPS of fun in it! its cost me just over 3kAUD so far with another 4k goin into it or so and then itll be fine for its purpose... you dont need to spend the big bucks to get a car thatll run quick, dont underestimate the light car/ medium power combination or youll find yourself in a V8 being spanked by an RX4
    The Datto will rage again...

Thread Information