Thread: Ford Falcon BA XR6 Mark 11 Road Test

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ford Falcon BA XR6 Mark 11 Road Test

I was in Wellington, New Zealand last week, and come Saturday I had a free day. I decided to pop down to Hertz and rent a car for the day. They reserved me a Falcon XR6 - though I was also tempted to try the new Focus. However, XR6 it was, and I'm glad I did rent it. I have driven many kilometres in base model, rental Falcon BA XTs, so I was most interested to see how much better than an XT the XR6 was.
    Firstly, the XR6 shares the same 4.0 litre 24 valve DOHC Barra180 engine as the XT. No extra power. In fact, the XR6 is a little bit heavier than the XT thanks to the extra weight of the body kit, and equipment upgrades.
    Equipment levels between the XT and the XR6 are similar - both have power steering, trip computer, dual airbags, ABS, electric front seat adjustment, electric windows, remote locking, CD player, four speed tiptronic auto, auto lights on/off function and air conditioning. On top of this the XR6 gets cruise control (an option on the XT, but all I've driven had cruise), traction control, sports-style bucket seats and sports trim, special XR instruments (speed shows increments up to 280km/h, which is ludricous since the car is limited to 180km/h), body kit (comprising side skirts, front and rear spoilers, XR graphics and the four XR style round headlights), 17 inch alloys shod with 235/35 R17 tyres and sports suspension.
    Brand new, an BF XT is A$35,880 and the BF XR6 is $39,710, both with a four-speed auto. The sports kit and equipment upgrades easily justify the price difference between the XT and XR6 when considering brand new prices. However, when considering second hand prices, a good lowish mileage (say 45,000km) 2003 XT costs about $15,000, while a similar mileage 2003 XR6 costs $24,000. So,obviously the XR6 holds value somewhat better, but is it really worth $9,000 more than the $15K BA?? After all, you get the same engine (ie: no extra performance) and some equipment upgrades, which are probably easily worth the $4,000 difference when the two cars are brand new, but after three years, the difference has blown out to $9K.
    I may be in the market for one of these cars very soon (I want to get a different car this year), and an XR6 is very appealing to me. So, time to find out if it is really worth my effort to fund the $9K price difference between a second hand XT and XR6.
    So, after picking up the car, I headed south out of Wellington on the motorway, heading for the suburbs and a nearby mountain range (for those who know the lower North Island, the Rimutaka range). On the motorway, the XR6 displays all the attributes I know and like from the XT. Smooth, refined engine, plenty of power with a decent spread of torque all the way up the rev range to about 5,500 rpm, solid, well weighted steering, comfortable seats and a smooth, compliant ride. I'm impressed with the ride, considering the sports suspension and very low profile tyres. Only the occasional thump gets through, and the ride is firmish, but overall, the XR6's sports suspension is only marginally less comfortable than the comfort-oriented XT's suspension. Certainly, the ride is still very comfortable for long trips. So far, so good. But the XR6 is doing nothing that the XT doesn't do. Sure, I like the XR's instrument graphics, but while it looks good, the rear spoiler is rather annoying in the rear view mirror.
    So as I drive down the motorway and through suburbia, I'm thinking - I'll save the $9K and buy an XT. I can always find one with alloys and spoilers if I want that.
    Then I reach the Rimutaka range. The road is step and twisty - its a fantastic driver's road. I clear a couple of slower cars on the passing lanes at the bottom of the ranges, and turn into the first few corners carrying speed somewhat higher than the recommended limits for the corners. NOW I understand what the XR6 is all about. Boy, does this thing handle. For such a big, heavy car, it has minimal body roll, exceptional grip, fantastic turn in, excellent feel through the steering and it is, simply put, an absolute joy to drive reasonably hard up a step, winding road. The four speed auto has very long ratios, so charging up-hill, one just leaves it in second on the tiptronic mode (to prevent the computer hunting the transmission between 2nd and 3rd) and you just use the immense reserves of torque to power between corners. Now, I was well under the 100 km/h speed limit over this road, but often twice the recommended speed through a number of 25-35km/h corners. So, I wasn't breaking any laws of physics or driving dangerously. But I was going much faster than I would have been in many other cars. At one point, while passing another Falcon on a passing lane at more than double the suggested 35km/h on one tight right hand corner, I did reach the start of the XR6's handling limits. The right rear tyre smoked and gave notice that the limit had been reached. One of the advantages of rear wheel drive - wheelspin from the rear tyres at the limit .The traction control probably helped keep it all safe, but it didn't flash, so there was probably another 10km/h left before it was dangerous.
    I returned to Wellington, happy to cruise back on the motorway and enjoy the car's refinement. Knowing that the XR6 is up to more than a little bit of play when the road starts to twist and turn. There is the secret to the XR6 - immense cornering ability. The XR6T would no doubt be even more fun, but then that's even more expensive than the XR6 and to be honest, I think the Barra180 is plenty powerful enough for most circumstances.
    So, would I buy one over an XT? I'd love to, if I can get the difference between the two down to about $6 or $7K. Especially as the XR6's second trump card over the XT other than handling is its much better resale value.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by motorsportnerd; 04-04-2006 at 06:49 AM.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

Thread Information