As many of you would know Mercedes now sell the G Class in the UK through the Special Products Division and apparently the G350 CDI and G55 AMG will be unveiled in Australian Spec at the Australian Motor Show in October for deliveries beginning in 2011. (I believe the G550 is also coming but the rumour is that 2 out of the 3 is enough for expensive motor show floor space)

However this post is about those of you (mostly from the US I assume) who are already experienced with the G Wagon. I have been putting off buying a new Four wheel drive for over 12 months now due to the G Wagon rumours but have I been wasting my time? My love of the car is purely based on looks as that's all I've had to gauge it on so can any of you enlighten me on what I might actually expect? From the outside I'm expecting Mercedes comfort but in a truck like atmosphere, are they remotely comparable to a Range Rover or X5 in terms of comfort or road noise and performance?

I'll assume that off road they'll blitz practically anything with front, centre and rear differential locks coming standard but severe off roading isn't something I'd ever intend to do, just the occasional creek crossing or obstacle but that's just life in the country.

I've read any number of magazine articles and seen plenty more youtube reviews but what I would really like to read is the opinion of someone who's not getting paid to say nice things and has had some real life experience.