Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Bugatti Veyron vs SSC Standard Aero

Quote Originally Posted by JakRcr
    those aren't supercars...
    Really? Why not? It's relatively easy to make a 1000 hp car that goes 220+, its much harder to make a comfortable, road going, awesome handling car like the new Z06. Sure the car tops out below 200, but it does have leather seating, amentities, and provides great performance at the track and good fuel economy. The lambo gallardo 'only' makes 195, its most certainly still a supercar.

If you want to define supercars as cars that go 200+, call them 'cars that go 200+' supercars are cars that give super performance, both in a straight line and with good handling.

depends which colour the veyrons in

the ssc is alot better looking but can it live to the veyrons speeds

Both the SSC and Veyron look good, don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by bob
    Really? Why not?
    Pagan's new law, suprecars don't have 80's ute suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    Really? Why not? It's relatively easy to make a 1000 hp car that goes 220+, its much harder to make a comfortable, road going, awesome handling car like the new Z06. Sure the car tops out below 200, but it does have leather seating, amentities, and provides great performance at the track and good fuel economy. The lambo gallardo 'only' makes 195, its most certainly still a supercar.

If you want to define supercars as cars that go 200+, call them 'cars that go 200+' supercars are cars that give super performance, both in a straight line and with good handling.

The Gallardo is most certainly not a supercar, the lamborghini supercar is the Murcielago...360's, Gallardo's, etc are high end exotics, supercars are in a league of their own. A ZO6 is a great car but is definitely not a supercar. And no it is not relatively easy to make a car fo 220+ to prove my point the ENZO's top speed is 217. Name ten super cars that go over 220? Veyron, SSC, Koenigsegg, McLaren...

Use this as a definition for supercars: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercars, cars are not supercars just because you think they're "super" or "great" there's a legitimate although somewhat (i use this term loosely) flexible criteria to DEFINE a supercar.

On a side note:
    I do work for SSC just check out the feature article about the SSC in the Feb. issue of Road & Track, out of a lot of tests I can tell you that we did absolutely awesome.

The Gallardo is most certainly not a supercar, the lamborghini supercar is the Murcielago...360's, Gallardo's, etc are high end exotics, supercars are in a league of their own. A ZO6 is a great car but is definitely not a supercar. And no it is not relatively easy to make a car fo 220+ to prove my point the ENZO's top speed is 217. Name ten super cars that go over 220? Veyron, SSC, Koenigsegg, McLaren...

Use this as a definition for supercars: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercars, cars are not supercars just because you think they're "super" or "great" there's a legitimate although somewhat (i use this term loosely) flexible criteria to DEFINE a supercar.

On a side note:
    I do work for SSC just check out the feature article about the SSC in the Feb. issue of Road & Track, out of a lot of tests I can tell you that we did absolutely awesome.
    Wikipedia is not an 'official' all-knowing dictionary, it's just an online encyclopedia with user-submitted definitions. I can go on there and submit a definition for the word Nawzz.

The term supercar is strictly personal, and matters on someone's opinion rather than fact. Since our era doesn't have a 'engraved in stone' supercar guideline, we just have to brand the cars as they come. While some people may see the Nissan Skyline as a supercar and I the Corvette ZO6, those same people may NOT see the Corvette C6 ZO6 the same way that I don't see the Skyline as a supercar.
    Last edited by Rockefella; 11-11-2005 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella
    The term supercar is strictly personal, and matters on someone's opinion rather than fact. Since our era doesn't have a 'engraved in stone' supercar guideline, we just have to brand the cars as they come. While some people may see the Nissan Skyline as a supercar and I the Corvette ZO6, those same people may NOT see the Corvette C6 ZO6 the same way that I don't see the Skyline as a supercar.

You're wrong, it is not personal, you're saying someone could claim that their 1992 civic is a supercar. Supercars follow a certain criteria which constantly changes depending on the era since supercars are supported by elite specs and performance. For example when Lamborghini came out with the Miura it was a supercar and will always be considered a supercar. But if the Miura came out in the year 2005 it would not be considered a supercar because it would not be performing to the level of the S7, Enzo, etc...

I feel people get upset because their favorite cars aren't supercars, but just because they're not supercars doesn't mean they're bad cars. There are obvious guidelines and that definition I posted was just more or less the standard.

If you don't believe me write to a distinguished magazine and wait for their response, you're giving me your opinion by saying the term supercar is strictly personal. I have showed you an encyclopedia definition, and I know wikipedia's validity is questionable but summed up the criteria that most people abide by.
    Last edited by JakRcr; 11-11-2005 at 01:03 PM.

an article about the SSC Ultimate Aero:

http://www.gumball-3000.com/rally/20...ultimate-aero/

Amazing car imo

Quote Originally Posted by P4g4nite
    Pagan's new law, suprecars don't have 80's ute suspension.
    And yet it handles about as good as a Gallardo. Yea that suspension sucks.

"SSC says the Ultimate Aero can reach speeds up to 273 mph based on Langley windtunnel calculations."

Yes, scale wind tunnel testing. So well known for being 100% accurate with results that can be directly applied to the "real world".
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    "SSC says the Ultimate Aero can reach speeds up to 273 mph based on Langley windtunnel calculations."

Yes, scale wind tunnel testing. So well known for being 100% accurate with results that can be directly applied to the "real world".

Estimated yes, it's obviously not saying it is a definite number, it is common knowledge.
    Top gear red line limits it at 269, not saying that it will go that fast either, it just gives a cushion to surpass 253. We're in the process of setting up the high speed test, so when it happens we'll all see. Look for the Feb. issue of Road & Track we're the feature in Amperstand. Take Care!

Estimated yes, it's obviously not saying it is a definite number, it is common knowledge.
    Top gear red line limits it at 269, not saying that it will go that fast either, it just gives a cushion to surpass 253. We're in the process of setting up the high speed test, so when it happens we'll all see. Look for the Feb. issue of Road & Track we're the feature in Amperstand. Take Care!
    Surely it is not in the interests of the company to suggest that their car can do 273 when it cannot?

You know what Americans are like, they'll start suing when they find it can only do 253.

Might as well claim "It'll do 500mph*"

* If you drop it out the back of a C130 at 25,000ft
    Last edited by Coventrysucks; 12-07-2005 at 03:04 AM.
    Thanks for all the fish

Supercars break the 200 mph mark.
    No way. So the Countach isn't a supercar then?

The definition is a little bit wider than an arbitrary rounded figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    No way. So the Countach isn't a supercar then?

The definition is a little bit wider than an arbitrary rounded figure.
    By the same token, if we take JakRcr's line on this, a current model BMW M5 (205mph top speed), or one of the Brabus twin-turbo V12 saloons (all of which go over 200mpg) would be supercars, while the countach would not. Does that sound right you you? It doesn't to me!

This says just about everything on JakRcr's definition of a supercar really.

For what it's worth, anything I see that screams "supercar" will be one to me. I don't really care if it can't crack 200mph; all it has to do is be significantly above average in performance and it ought to look the part.

Craigy.

Thread Information