Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Changing major debate

I'm going to be looking into many companies once I graduate.

Yeah, I think I'm going to quit pursuing Engineering.

Quote Originally Posted by blingbling
    It helps if we know your interests, lifestyle, and other things. You can not just expect us to miraculously know what your personality is like to give you a recommendation.
    Well, I am interested in discovering new things . . . such as technology, that is why I chose electrical engineering, but now that field is getting to the point where it gets really indept and I am starting to have second thoughts about wiring up boards my whole life. Yeah the money is a great plus, but money is not everything. I want to enjoy life also and actually enjoy going to work, not dread it and have second thoughts about why didn't I change my major when I had the chance my entire life. As you read you can tell that I don't want to go back to school and get another/different BS. degree if I already graduate; continuing on with education is okay imo, but starting over after I receive a degree is not going to happen to me.
    I'm a real boy!

Marine Biology is interesting, but an unfortunate side-effect of this fact is that it tends to be one of the areas that's totally flooded with degrees. Loads of people like sea creatures and want to study them, but unfortunately there aren't a whole lot of jobs for them.

Biologically engineering on the other hand is a booming industry, and seems very interesting.

Personally I'm not really interested in working in finance, and stock brokering tends be a ridiculously high-pressure job (but somewhat cool if that's really what you're interested in).

Both of your chemistry-based options seem pretty interesting, although honestly I don't know anything about them.

Automotive engineering is interesting, and you're advantaged if you've already got a decent math and physics background.

I don't mean to hijack this thread but I'm having a similar issue... sort of. When I was in high school I was 100% certain that I wanted to be a professional musician. I was in the All-State Jazz Band and the All State Orchestra, among many other highly competitive musical groups, and I was also in a band that played original music. Music was my life. My goal was to go to the University of North Texas to study jazz (UNT is the top-ranked university in the country for jazz). I was accepted into the jazz program and was offered two scholarships, which made it very cheap for me to go to school here. However, after two years in the music program here I started to hate the music that I was playing (especially the music I was getting paid to play). I realized that this was not the life for me, as the amount of work put into it was not justifiable based on the amount of money I would make and the fact that I could not play the music that I loved. This semester I switched to a business major, and I'm more interested in what I am studying now than I was a year ago! I am planning on switching to another school next semester, and I don't know whether I will continue to study business or something else. I have always been very good at math. In fact, I was good at everything in high school. I have always been very intersted in cars, and I would love to get involved in the automotive business in some capacity. I have also recently become obsessed with Tesla Motors, the California based company that created the electric Tesla Roadster. I would love to work for this company, or some kind of similar auto-related company that is very forward thinking (especially one that is pursuing some kind of alternative energy vehicle). I don't really know what would be the best major for me at this point, although I will probably choose either business or electrical engineering (or possibly mechanical engineering). Anyone have any advice?

Well, As I am an EE major I can tell you this. . . You probably can work on cars but that is probably slim cause this is the same debate that i am having because I also love cars but most EE tend to work away from cars and toward UAVs, circuits of some type, and communication but this is only a main stream of what they do, not in dept. That is why I am thinking of changing to automotive engineering bacause you can work on cars. About what they do, I haven't a clue cause I've never spoken to one.
    I'm a real boy!

Thread Information