View Poll Results: Honda's V-Tech or Toyota's Tvis/Vvti ?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Honda's V-Tech ( any car )

12 80.00%
  • Toyota's Tvis/Vvti ( any car )

5 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Honda's V-Tech or Toyota's Tvis/Vvti ?

Honda's V-Tech or Toyota's Tvis/Vvti ?

Hey guy's what do you's think ? Me Personally would Rather Honda's Sexy V-Tech Sound.
    Proud Owner Of a Mercedes Benz. I WISH!!!

It's VTEC. VTECH makes phones/toys. I'd choose T-VIS
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Well, VVTLi is technically superior, as it offers variable valve timing and valve lift.
    VTEC offers only variable valve timing
    Minimising losses can maximise net gains

correct me if I'm wrong but aren't v-tec used because honda has vehicles with low torque so it in a way assist the lack to torque
    I'm a real boy!

Quote Originally Posted by brandisher
    correct me if I'm wrong but aren't v-tec used because honda has vehicles with low torque so it in a way assist the lack to torque
    No, I've heard the lack of torque is stil noticible.The VTEC system is used like the others, to avoid having a one sided engine, high power, shitty response at low RPMs, bad idling.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering
    No, I've heard the lack of torque is stil noticible.The VTEC system is used like the others, to avoid having a one sided engine, high power, shitty response at low RPMs, bad idling.
    I disagree with you. The V-Tec engines don't lack in torque. On the contrary they are more torquey compared to similar engines without similar systems. It's just that they have a small displacement, which results in a low torque output, compared to turbo / bigger displacement engines.

V-Tec was a technology that was implemented in the 80's, but now it's a bit old. It's potential is exploited to the max. I think that manufacturers must turn to new technologies concerning the top of the engine.

As far as I am concerned I think that the way to go is to have hydraulic valves (technology already researched extensively by Lotus). This means that the engine will have no cams (less weight - complexity - moving parts - friction), yet can exploit infinite numbers of valve actuation scenarios according to the road conditions.

The hydraulic valves will enable the implementation of sparkless ignition, offering fuel economy similar to a Diesel, but without the NOx emmisions of the Diesel, as petrol contains sulphur in smaller quantities.
    Minimising losses can maximise net gains

lightweight,i think you got it back to front vvtl only alter's the cam timing where as v-tec does cam timing and lift.
    v-tec is a far more complecated system than vvtl and as such is more technically advanced than vvtl,as for you're statment about hydrualic valves it's obvios to me that you don't know what you're talking about hydrulic valves have been around since 1935 and are mainly used on engines to limit valve train noise and as such are not a performance item and also they are not used on any honda v-tec engine that i know of i think you maybe confusing them with pneumatic valves and ,sparkless ignition is diesel
    as for it reaching the end of it's development crap honda,nissan;toyota,bmw,of the top of my head are still using and developing varing form's of variable valve timing and lift.
    vetec it's the automotive equivilent of schizaphrenia
    single handly keeping stanley headlight's in business
    founding member of the over 2lt asault team

In my experience, Honda engines are far superior to the Toyota offerings.

Example- the 2.0 VVTLi fitted to the Celica 190 and Corolla T-Sport (old) has 189bhp and 138lb/ft of torque. The Honda 2.0 fitted to the S2000 has 237bhp and 156lb/ft of torque, dropping to 197bhp and 146/lbft in the Civic Type-R.

Having experienced both, I can say that the Honda engines also sound exhilarating in comparison to the flat, dull Toyotas.

However, lightweight was sort-of right- the VVTLi has variable valve timing and valve lift, hence the extra 'L'. The standard VVTi just deals in variable valve timing. VTEC does have both variable valve timing and valve lift control- it's a loose acronym for Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control. i-VTEC is particularly good, and it adds continously variable camshaft phasing to the mix- which gives extra torque from the engine.

Honda pioneered the technology, and other manufacturers soon followed suit- including Toyota

The 3sge is a better comparison than the 2zzge, it was discontinued in 1999 and made fairly healthy power figures. They also came in a turbo version
    3sgte.

ENGINE

Displacement, cc 1998
    Engine model 3S-GE
    Max.power (Net), kw(PS)/rpm 200 ps (147.10 kw) / 7000 rpm
    Max.torque(Net), N*m(kg*m)/rpm 22.0 kg*m (215.75 N*m) / 4800 rpm
    Power density 6.85
    Engine type Water cooling serial 4 cylinder DOHC16 valve
    Engine information DUAL VVT-i
    Fuel system EFI (electronic fuel injection)
    Turbocharger No
    Fuel type Unleaded premium gasoline
    LEV system (Low emission vehicle) No
    Compression ratio 11.5
    Bore, mm 86
    Stroke, mm 86
    Final gear ratio
    Fuel consumption at 10-15 modes, l/100km 9
    Fuel consumption at 60 km/h, l/100km
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by lightweight
    Well, VVTLi is technically superior, as it offers variable valve timing and valve lift.
    VTEC offers only variable valve timing
    you are wrong. the v-tec changes the lift as well .i don't think vvti changes the lift.

Thread Information