Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: You will puke.

Quote Originally Posted by Viper007
    Also all the different types of Christianity pluck bits from parts and emphasize on that so how can you say that you cannot do that?
    The fact that people do pick and choose what bits of religion they follow doesn't alter the fact that they are being self-interested and insincere.

People kill each other, even though, by conventionally accepted thinking, they aren't supposed to.

To me, it is like football (soccer) - there are certain parameters that describe the game - kicking a ball with your feet for instance - and if you follow those parameters you are playing football.

If you decide that picking the ball up is more convenient to you, you are no longer playing football, you've got rugby, or basketball, or something else.

I think you are being a little harsh, just because you don't believe in it doesn't mean you can ridicule something so harshly. I myself am not a model Christian by any means, but your assumptions are a little off and disrespectful to members of the forum.
    Sorry for having an opinion!

It is funny how being atheist is seen as "disrespectful" to religious beliefs, yet being religious is not seen as "disrespectful" to atheist beliefs.

Maybe you can ask Jesus to pop round and explain things with a bit more clarity too me and point out how I am wrong.

I'll put the kettle on.
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    The fact that people do pick and choose what bits of religion they follow doesn't alter the fact that they are being self-interested and insincere.

People kill each other, even though, by conventionally accepted thinking, they aren't supposed to.

To me, it is like football (soccer) - there are certain parameters that describe the game - kicking a ball with your feet for instance - and if you follow those parameters you are playing football.

If you decide that picking the ball up is more convenient to you, you are no longer playing football, you've got rugby, or basketball, or something else.

It is funny how being atheist is seen as "disrespectful" to religious beliefs, yet being religious is not seen as "disrespectful" to atheist beliefs.

Maybe you can ask Jesus to pop round and explain things with a bit more clarity too me and point out how I am wrong.

I'll put the kettle on.
    This isn't a game, like "football" or basketball, this is religion and the origin of our species. People get so caught up in classifications and titles and that stuff just doesn't matter. You should believe what you think is right, that's all you can do and any thing else would be "insincere". This isn't a matter of convenience, although it is true that convenience can and does act as a bias, it is a matter of using your judgement and logic to the best of your ability to arrive at a conclusion (even if that conclusion is that you have no idea). There are a lot of fundamentalist christian people that speak as you do about "picking and choosing what bits of religion they follow", and these people are completely caught up in classifications of what makes one a christian, atheist, etc. What the hell does it matter how others want to classify you? Believe what you want and don't worry if that makes you a christian or a buddhist or an agnostic or whatever. I will always try to use my best judgement, and wherever that leads that's what I will believe.
    Last edited by gtface; 11-04-2006 at 01:14 PM.

I'll put the kettle on.
    The fact that you are an atheist is not disrespectful by any means but the posting of the picture is clearly making fun of Christianity and therefore disrespectful. Oh and that last line was also a little bit of an attack believe what you want to but don't make fun of those who have different views. Oh and so if you play baseball with a baseball its baseball, but if you play it with a tennis ball and wooden plank its not baseball?

Why beleive something when there is nothing to evidence it. Why would anyone beleive in intellegent design? Why beleive in god and base your entire life on something you have no reason to beleive, other than the fact that you have likely been force fed the garbage since you were born and don't know any better?
    Go n-ithe an cat thu, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Tiv
    Why beleive something when there is nothing to evidence it. Why would anyone beleive in intellegent design? Why beleive in god and base your entire life on something you have no reason to beleive, other than the fact that you have likely been force fed the garbage since you were born and don't know any better?
    Control of the masses mostly... Also, people want to believe because there's way too many things they can't control and that scares them.
    Live for Speed - Online Racing Simulator
    http://www.liveforspeed.net

Quote Originally Posted by orne
    Control of the masses mostly... Also, people want to believe because there's way too many things they can't control and that scares them.
    Rhetorical questions.
    Go n-ithe an cat thu, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

This is something different but how do people believe anything in the bible. It was written by men not god, assuming there is even a god.
    2011 Honda Civic Si

ATHEIST and damn proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by gtface
    You should believe what you think is right, that's all you can do and any thing else would be "insincere". This isn't a matter of convenience, although it is true that convenience can and does act as a bias, it is a matter of using your judgement and logic to the best of your ability to arrive at a conclusion (even if that conclusion is that you have no idea).
    Quite.

I have no problem with people believing in something.

However, I am not particularly impressed when people decide they are "Christian" but they don't actually adhere to very many Christian principals.

That is why I made the analogy with football - people have beliefs which do not quite sit in any particular religion, but still decide that they need to pigeon-hole themselves as something they are not, because of convention.

I agree with many Christian principles and morals, but, since I don't agree with many other aspects, I see no reason for me to kid myself into thinking that I am a Christian.

The fact that you are an atheist is not disrespectful by any means but the posting of the picture is clearly making fun of Christianity and therefore disrespectful.
    There are many, many images out there making fun of any and everything, and they are all disrespectful, where is your indignation at them?

Looks like we are back to "pick and choose" again...

Oh and that last line was also a little bit of an attack
    I can't particularly see how offering Jesus a cup of tea is "an attack".

I'd be perfectly happy to become Christian if either of these God or Jesus fellows, who apparently love me so much, were to actually pop round and explain the deal.

I'm puzzled about why I'd need to find out about them from a 3rd party who has nothing to go on but a vague personal interpretation of a poorly translated book of dubious origin...
    Thanks for all the fish

But at the same time you pose that there are many images out there few are related to such a serious topic as religion and followed by the masses therefore making it more offensive. Oh and sorry it was the second to last line that was a bit harsh. You know what you have your own opinion I have no problem with it do what you want to, just don't criticize or make fun of others for theres. I am not one of those Christians who is going to say you face eternal damnation for your ways, I honestly don't care what your opinion is as long as you don't interfere with others opinions.

Guest Guest
    Either you believe in God & Jesus and you follow the Bible, or you aren't a Christian.
    wrong, to quote my RS teacher (who seems to know too bloody much) "No two Christians ever believe EXACTLY the same thing, and thus NEVER say "ALL Christians believe..." as they dont. Some accept Evolution, not the big bang, some vice versa, some neither, some both, some doubt the existence of Jesus and some doubt God, and even though this is a contradiction in terms they are STILL Christians".

Oh yes, and i personally think that the Church (at least the one based in the Vatican) are merely an origination that use religion as the most amazing method of Control ever. They could control the whole of Europe by saying "God said..."

EDIT - To believe in God et al you have to believe in him, thus he cannot directly show his involvement or else belief in him would become fact, and not a belief, and as such, God can never prove his existence, and as such, i shall always be an Athiest, except until the last seconds before my death when i realise perhaps this might not be the end, and cling to the feeble hope of some next life and declare myself a Christian in some vain, futile and flawed attempt to go to heaven.
    Last edited by Jakg; 11-04-2006 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakg
    Oh yes, and i personally think that the Church (at least the one based in the Vatican) are merely an origination that use religion as the most amazing method of Control ever. They could control the whole of Europe by saying "God said..."
    That is exactly what happened in the Middle Ages. Technically, the pope had more power than all of the kings combined in Europe. The English were smart to split from the Catholic Church. In a sense, although weakened today, the Pope still has some power and influence over the common people.

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R
    That is exactly what happened in the Middle Ages. Technically, the pope had more power than all of the kings combined in Europe. The English were smart to split from the Catholic Church. In a sense, although weakened today, the Pope still has some power and influence over the common people.
    "smart" not really, he just wanted to get shot of his wife, the king at the time (Henry the 8th) was an idiot - his father was good and managed to accumulate a large sum of money his son wasted on Women and food!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Tiv
    There is no conclusive evidence in either direction. Ultimately it comes down to a choice. Everyone has different reasons for choosing as they do, but one thing I am fairly certain of is that it as a bad idea to believe something out of fear.

EDIT: Maybe "judgement" is more accurate than "choice".
    Last edited by gtface; 11-04-2006 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakg
    "smart" not really, he just wanted to get shot of his wife, the king at the time (Henry the 8th) was an idiot - his father was good and managed to accumulate a large sum of money his son wasted on Women and food!
    You're right. But, there were more advantages to leaving the Catholic church than Henry realized.

Quote Originally Posted by gtface
    There is no conclusive evidence in either direction. Ultimately it comes down to a choice. Everyone has different reasons for choosing as they do, but one thing I am fairly certain of is that it as a bad idea to believe something out of fear.

EDIT: Maybe "judgement" is more accurate than "choice".
    There's no conclusive evidence because no matter how much evidence is dug up/discovered they still wont believe...

Evolution is based in pure logic and the knowledge we have about genetics, so only denying both of those is it acceptable to believe in such theories.
    Live for Speed - Online Racing Simulator
    http://www.liveforspeed.net

Thread Information