Thread: Aardvark 1952

Aardvark 1952

For those who think the American racing scene is all about thundering V8s, here is another part of the story.
    In 1952 John Porter and Dean Banks took a French Panhard Dyna chassis and reconstructed it to what became the Aardvark, which is still active in historic racing.

The Panhard Dyna was fitted with a 750cc air-cooled flat twin engine, that in standard trim already produced a hefty 38 bhp, (12 more than the contemporary VW 1100 cc Beetle got from 4 cylinders). It was still a simple pushrod engine, but it managed to rev up to 6000 with ease. The engine was put in front of the transaxle and powered the front wheels. Later versions of the engine found their way in the various DBs and larger Panhards, but that’s another story.

Porter and Banks stiffened and lowered the frame, a process which also required new exhaust manifold in order to maintain a minimal ground clearance. In the process the engine output increased to about 42 BHP.

New alloy and fiberglass body panels were designed, and with a total weight of less than 500 kg, the car became a hoot to drive and did surprise many a larger car in the process.

Porter had purposely designed the Aardvark to get some racing experience, which he duly obtained, and about 3 years later he replaced the Aardvark with a Porsche 550.

The influence of the Aardvark is probably more significant than Porter had anticipated, because in 1954 Bill Devin launched his first cars, also based on the Panhard engine. Rather than leaving the engine alone like Porter did, he offered more elaborate versions, and it was the OHC version of this little motor that became the first one fitted with a belt driven overhead cam. (The honours for having achieved this first normally go to the German Glas factory, but they came 10 years later….)

Today the Aardvark still enjoys the crowds with its characteristic sound and it is shown here during the 2005 and 2006 Monterey Historics.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Very good article!

more 4 pics, from SUPERCARS.NET - Comprehensive Specifications, Galleries & Forums since 1996
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I don't take any photo, just collect in all the web and share"

Quote Originally Posted by ribatejo69 View Post
    That's proselytism! An outright propaganda! I call for immediate actions!
    It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

Quote Originally Posted by go.pawel View Post
    of course scnet does not care to provide any description of the car, so this is a nice link to show how a site should NOT be operating....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by go.pawel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    of course scnet does not care to provide any description of the car, so this is a nice link to show how a site should NOT be operating....
    in Portugal we have a expression for that kind of situation:
    "in jail because have dog, in jail because haven't dog"

... and that's the question: a lot of times I was "in fire" because I don't write the source of "my" pics.... in this case, I have and I put, and... lol

well, it's allright, I just can make a joke!

regards and... a nice, wonderfull new year for all UCP fans, whit a lot of nice car's photos... whit or not whit signal of source!

carlos "ribatejo"

(next week and half I have no time or occasion for came to Internet. please give me a gift, whit a super show of nice, strange, exotic, beautifull, lovely cars when I return, after some blackout!)

Quote Originally Posted by ribatejo69 View Post
    (next week and half I have no time or occasion for came to Internet. please give me a gift, whit a super show of nice, strange, exotic, beautifull, lovely cars when I return, after some blackout!)
    keep an open eye on the main page....

If one know a lttle about cars, You got most of the data out from the info that is shared.

I'd like to hear the twostroke boxer at full throttle.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugace View Post
    If one know a lttle about cars, You got most of the data out from the info that is shared.

I'd like to hear the twostroke boxer at full throttle.
    it is actually a four-stroke. The Panhard engine was quite popular in the USA for below 1000 cc specials.

That looks a lot like an American Lotus 7.

Pretty cool stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    That looks a lot like an American Lotus 7.
    American Lotus 7?

Don't see much other than rudimentary resemblance... and Lotus is British, front engine/rear drive. As noted above, lots of small bore specials of the period had cigar shaped bodies with cycle fenders using 750cc BMW, Fiat, DKW or Crosley or here, the Panhard FWD engine. They're robust and tunable, and like all two-cylinder cars have a unique exhaust note.

(I've more photos of this, and another Panhard special taken at Laguna, but can't locate the file. Henk, did you ever see the Fairchild Panhard? I think the gentleman who owns the Aardvark restored it to similar mechanical spec and has either sold it, or has it for sale.)
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

It also predates the Lotus 7. I would hate to call something a [something] Lotus 7 when it was first. I do see some of the resemblance but I can also see some old Morgan in the thing.

Thread Information