Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heckler & Koch G36

Jeeze, at first I thought someone here owned one!!!

The one thing i really like about the G36 is the integrated optical scope. I wish my AR had one. I dont like iron sights because they strain my eyes which have been weakened severely over the last few years of law school reading and legal work. But i dont like scopes or red dot sights because it is too easy to knock them off alignment and then your rifle is not sighted in perfectly and you sacrifice your carrying handle.
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

The integrated scopes can be knocked out of alignment, too. The first military to ever adopt a rifle with an integrated scope were the australians with the Steyr AUG and they did have some issues with that. Plus it limits your optics options severely, and with the wide variety being adopted by militaries these days (including combo night vision and such) you're really better off with just a simple rail on top to attach whatever you want.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Hey if you are doing a firearm thread, why not do one about the Colt 1911....next year will be its centennial....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    The integrated scopes can be knocked out of alignment, too. The first military to ever adopt a rifle with an integrated scope were the australians with the Steyr AUG and they did have some issues with that. Plus it limits your optics options severely, and with the wide variety being adopted by militaries these days (including combo night vision and such) you're really better off with just a simple rail on top to attach whatever you want.
    a lot of our front line steyrs now simply have picattiny rails with elcan (lke what the canucks use on their C8's) scopes on them iirc, as mass produced scopes like that can be a bit shitty.
    hence the term 'steyr eye' for new recruits because they put their eyes too close to the scope trying to get the full field of view lol
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    (lke what the canucks use on their C8's)
    Wooo Canada! How is the C8?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Wooo Canada! How is the C8?
    wouldn't have a clue, i assume it's just like an M16 only more...canadian. maybe it shoots maple syrup tracer rounds or something.

edit: i do recall canadian ammo is better and that canadian troops are advised to only use american ammo when they've run out of their own issued stuff. same with the french iirc, unless i've confused the two.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

wouldn't have a clue, i assume it's just like an M16 only more...canadian. maybe it shoots maple syrup tracer rounds or something.

edit: i do recall canadian ammo is better and that canadian troops are advised to only use american ammo when they've run out of their own issued stuff. same with the french iirc, unless i've confused the two.
    Canadian ammo almost always runs at a lower pressure. It can be more accurate, but the lack in power has some of the snipers using American sniper ammo (not the ball, of course.) In fact the record that was just set by a Canadian (they stole our record!) in Afganistan for the longest aimed shot on a human was using American ammo at the time of the shot, which meant a difference in drop of several feet.

Also, scope eye happens.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

it might be the french 5.56 i'm thinking of, as they have a slightly tighter rifling twist rate in the famas iirc.

Probably has something to do with the higher twist of some countries rifles versus others. The original m16 had a twist of like 1/12 or something whereas modern ARs all have 1/9-1/7 twists (1/7 for the US military) to accommodate heavier grain rounds. This is why I bought my AR with a NATO 1/7 twist barrel so it can shoot just about any 5.56/.223 round you want to put through it accurately and without key-holing.
    Last edited by MRR; 09-21-2010 at 06:25 PM.

Thread Information