Page 125 of 168 FirstFirst ... 2575115123124125126127135 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,875 of 2518

Thread: "What's this car?" Official Thread

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Wow, thanks!
    here's one that races in the UK.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Fwiw our mid-1960s Chrysler Valiant AP6 (Australian Production #6) model range also used this Barracuda grille.

Nota, was there really a ute Valiant? Very cool if so... Never understood why the USA wasn't offered anything other than Rancheros and El Caminos. Bet the number of full-size trucks sold here the past 20 years would've been alot less if the Falcon or Holden had been offered instead.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    Nota, was there really a ute Valiant? Very cool if so...
    >> CLICK !! <<

Valiant utes were relatively popular and built from that previously pictured AP6 intro-model then continuously through to the 1977-78 CL (no ute offered in Valiant's final CM model-series). The model was initially named Wayfarer, available in both Valiants and the more austere Dodge rebadge-variant, and later Utility aka ute. Also the relatively luxurious Valiant Town & Country Utility in the early 1970s. Btw Valiant ute maintained a slight styling link with Barracuda between 1967-70 via it retaining VE-model tail-lights as seen HERE

And brace yourself for the obscure Valiant Panel Van that was only produced within the CL model-series and with iirc somewhere around 1500 made. This included a basic Panel Van, the Sportsvan and very rare (slow seller) Drifter sub-models of which I'll throw in a pic for you.

If you want Valiant ute images etc, try an au-google using valiant or dodge and wayfarer or ute, combined with the relevant model sequence being AP6, VC, VE, VF, VG, VH, VJ, VK, CL.
    Never understood why the USA wasn't offered anything other than Rancheros and El Caminos. Bet the number of full-size trucks sold here the past 20 years would've been alot less if the Falcon or Holden had been offered instead.
    Since its early beginnings the aussie ute concept has held great appeal imo, featuring a level of comfort, performance and dynamics akin to their sedan foundation, combined with the hard-working practicality of a light-commercial vehicle.

I'm sure you will recognise these shapes, all are factory-built and based upon their related passenger-car chassis and thus genuinely utes, of which long precede those Rancheros and El Caminos

for csl a few more random pics and finis
    Last edited by nota; 12-19-2009 at 04:47 AM.

what's this? I don't even remember where I got it from.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

I don't know, but the theme from Shaft is playing in my head.

It doesn't look as good as the Virgil Exner neo-classic show cars of the period, all of which were built by Ghia IIRC. His Bugatti 101C is actually pretty, the Duesenburg not so much. This one looks like something from Zimmer, built on a Cadillac or maybe Chrysler.

EDIT: In response to the post below, go here to see some horrific "Stutz" customs...

http://www.shorey.net/Auto/Miscellan.../htmltree.html
    Last edited by csl177; 12-28-2009 at 06:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    It is base Stutz. 1974.
    Last edited by webenigma; 12-28-2009 at 12:04 PM. Reason: wrong... :-(

Your challenge for this week:

These are scans from a high school classmate's father's garage. I took the pix about 40 years ago and just found them. What was in front of me that day?

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    I was looking for the name of this car, but found nothing yet. However, I was told that this custom has nothing to do with Stutz.
    http://www.allcarindex.com - pictured internet directory of automobiles. 7400+ production marques, 4000+ concept cars, 370+ obscure Soviet self-made cars. Discover unknown!

Thanks everyone for the answers so far
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by StillOutThere View Post
    These are scans from a high school classmate's father's garage. I took the pix about 40 years ago and just found them. What was in front of me that day?
    Well, it's trying to be something by Harley Earl, but definately is not:

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    Well, it's trying to be something by Harley Earl, but definately is not:
    Harley Earl on the LeSabre show car was merely copying what appeared on one '49 BMW Veritas which was two years prior to the LeSabre. In Detroit there is very little new under the sun as is sooooo often proved. And when I say copying I mean out and out tail end PLAGIARISM!!! The bimmer is discussed in another forum.

Quote Originally Posted by StillOutThere View Post
    Harley Earl on the LeSabre show car was merely copying what appeared on one '49 BMW Veritas which was two years prior to the LeSabre. In Detroit there is very little new under the sun as is sooooo often proved. And when I say copying I mean out and out tail end PLAGIARISM!!! The bimmer is discussed in another forum.
    Indeed... so please provide documentation. Being familiar with Spohn's practices, claiming a 1949 Veritas was the design origin of Earl's '51 LeSabre is quite a stretch. Spohn obviously built more than one example with variations on both facia and front fender/door openings, which makes sense... the Earl car was a sensation when first shown and would have been a popular subject for custom bodywork on available chassis (although almost criminal on a pre-war Veritas). Your photos of the green car show those differences to the white Veritas found near Chicago illustrated in this thread:

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...briolet-3.html

A rebodied Chevy given similar treatment:Ralph W. Angel's LeSabre Lookalike - Kustomrama

Which makes an interesting history question, begging for a catalogue of Hermann Spohn's postwar work. If any exist it would be a facinating study. Was your HS classmate father's car a 328 Veritas, and do you know where it is now? Would love to see more photos of it, particularly the front half.

Other LeSabre lookalikes: http://www.kustomrama.com/index.php?...951_GM_LeSabre
    Louis Struna's car has similar side detail to the green car in your photos.
    Last edited by csl177; 12-30-2009 at 10:19 AM. Reason: added link

The attached image is labelled as a Lincoln Continental Explorer. Does anybody know the model year? I am not sure this is a concept.

Thread Information