Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: More F1 Spying?

More F1 Spying?

From BBC:
    Renault have been summoned before Formula One's governing body to answer a charge of possessing confidential McLaren technical information.

McLaren were fined $100m (£47.5m) and thrown out of the constructors' championship after being found guilty on a similar charge in September.

Renault are to appear before the FIA world motorsport council on 6 December.

The information included "the layout and critical dimensions of the McLaren F1 car", an FIA statement said.
    BBC SPORT | Motorsport | Formula One | Renault face McLaren spy charge

ESPN - Renault F1 team accused of spying on McLaren - Open-Wheel

So, several years after all the teams will have the same car - Ferrari F2007 under different names...

I'm starting to think they should eliminate all spying rules and let the teams steal as much as they want from each other. If that happens they'll stop developing new technologies in the cars and F1 will once again because how well driver handle cars and not the press. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    I'm starting to think they should eliminate all spying rules and let the teams steal as much as they want from each other. If that happens they'll stop developing new technologies in the cars and F1 will once again because how well driver handle cars and not the press. ;-)
    NASCAR teams steal from one another all the time. They look at what other teams do and pretty soon everyone is. That is until they started getting strict with the car inspections.

I think that if anything does come out of this, it won't be as sever as it was for McLaren because its not ferrari that is the defending and so it actually becomes a fair trial
    The McLaren F1- The most fun you can have with your clothes on

"Live Fast, Die Young, and Leave a Good Looking Corpse" -James Dean, weeks before dying in a car crash at the age of 24

Wow, they stole McLaren intel and STILL sucked...

Quote Originally Posted by MadMax13 View Post
    Wow, they stole McLaren intel and STILL sucked...
    that is because the McLaren intel had not yet been upgraded with the Ferrari intel.....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by ScionDriver View Post
    NASCAR teams steal from one another all the time. They look at what other teams do and pretty soon everyone is. That is until they started getting strict with the car inspections.
    But NASCAR is so over restricted that the most you can really "steal" is set-up information. I don't think there's really room in the rules for honest inovation...

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    If that's what you want, go watch Champcar, or some other spec series. F1 has always been about more than just the drivers; the cars, and the technology they encompass are a big part of the draw. It's the top level of motor racing, and should, to my way of thinking, be de-resticted somewhat from the FIA's current crack-down.
    Spying though is cheating, and if convicted Renault should be punished just as harshly as Mclaren...

Quote Originally Posted by bruxell View Post
    But NASCAR is so over restricted that the most you can really "steal" is set-up information. I don't think there's really room in the rules for honest inovation...
    They drive in a circle, how ****ing hard can it be to find the ideal setup. NASCAR is just a joke anyways...

They drive in a circle, how ****ing hard can it be to find the ideal setup. NASCAR is just a joke anyways...
    I don't think NASCAR -in basic concept at least- is a joke. A lot of the drivers are very skilled, and the cars, however low-tech they may be, are very powerful, not to mention fast.
    The ideal set-up for 200mph, in a car with no downforce, has got to be a pretty fickle sweet-spot. I'm sure the teams take whatever information they can get. But I do lament the over-regulation that has led to NASCAR being nothing more than a spec series; it used to be so much more. It was a place where manufactures brought highly tuned versions of their street machines to race against each other. I wish it could be again...

They got dem fancy-schmancy spoilers now.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Guys, take the NASCAR bash elsewhere
    I am the Stig

Can the FIA just please let it drop?

This is McLaren making the complaint though. Its not necessarily up to the FIA to handle everything, otherwise Toyota would've been penalised when some of their employees were found with Ferrari data.
    I am the Stig

Thread Information