Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: New Layout

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    removing avatars and sigs works reasonably OK, Now only the damn clash with quotes and headers.
    on my screen I get a light blue header wtih all sorts of information, eventually to be followed by a piece of white, which is sometimes used for the word "quote" . If that is the case, then there will be another light blue block, containing the contents of the quote, until that finishes. Then follows a white part again in which users post their message. I don't know whether you have another layout, but I find this all very practical and usuable. No clashes at all.
    On a cynical note: May be that laboratory folded because it did not look at the simple things?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen
    How is this colour?
    Funnily enough, the sigs are now the exact colour I was envisaging.

Great minds, etc.
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    Funnily enough, the sigs are now the exact colour I was envisaging.

Great minds, etc.
    I am here to serve.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen
    I am here to serve.
    Coffee. Now.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by McReis
    Coffee. Now.
    Good idea, thanks.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    on my screen I get a light blue header wtih all sorts of information, eventually to be followed by a piece of white, which is sometimes used for the word "quote" . If that is the case, then there will be another light blue block, containing the contents of the quote, until that finishes. Then follows a white part again in which users post their message. I don't know whether you have another layout, but I find this all very practical and usuable. No clashes at all.
    Ah the analyitcal mind considering the landscape and forgetting the eye subconsious does 90% of the work before that thinkgin conscious part gets a chance to view it.
    Best way to grasp it is to read a book that teaches speed-reading. Then apply the teechnique and analyse via introspection.
    I've heard ALL the reasons from lots of people about how it can't work for lots of technical reasons .. and yet it does
    Human physiology and psychology are a lot more complex.
    AND FRANKLY usually what is "sexy" is appealing to the wrong part of the brain that wants and needs "easy to read"
    On a cynical note: May be that laboratory folded because it did not look at the simple things?
    No it was lack of funding from industry. Ended up as more companies pulled out of "silicon glen" there wasn't enough critical mass to fund it.
    As a "slap of the glove challenge" .... There are approx 200 telcos around the world using software guided and developed to our HCI principles. Tested "blind" in our video labs during RAD. At a guess 50,000 users worldwide are working in 3 shifts 24/7 managing the telco networks using our products.
    You dont want to get intoa "pissing contest" with me over this.
    I've given you a professional input, but the main thing any manager, designer or consultant ( you could confirm with one close to hand ) knows is that if the custoemr doesn't want to listen you don't fight it with them.
    I've advised the same things the last time you proposed this change. I've advised this time. AS per my previous post, I've found a way to make it less annoying to read - but still not idel. BUT accepted you ahve reasons you like it and won't argue it anymore.
    But that doens't make it a good layout, that makes it a good choice by me -- shame it didn't say asleep
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I was merely describing what I am looking at, and that works fine. I don't care too much whether science has proven that I am wrong..... I do more things which are not in line with adopted science and I still feel happy about it.....(and I use a 1920x1200 resolution)
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I was merely describing what I am looking at, and that works fine. I don't care too much whether science has proven that I am wrong..... I do more things which are not in line with adopted science and I still feel happy about it.....(and I use a 1920x1200 resolution)
    You should read a detailed report on the Three Mile Incident in the US Nuclear reactor.
    It's cited in most HCI reports because it highlighted that what "looked good" the "actions required" didn't concern anyone. Everyoen was happy. UNTIL the accident
    It's very common for folks to think UI is about looks and forget it's about USABILITY and that has many more factors beyond the "look" and the "feel good factor".
    HP built up a world wide forum of about 200 practitioners and dedicated labs in at least 3 site with a main coroproate lab with about 50 people JUST working on common usability research and analysis.
    It's one of the hardest areas of design to get round and one of the easiest to get wrong because so much of our common sense abotu it isn't

Just look at how many car buyers are disappointed by the interiors of their cars AFTER they've purchased believing it "looked OK" and was "comfy"

But as you will have often had to do Pieter, I've given my analysis and recommendations. It's up to teh customer to decide what to do with it
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

if there was only one "best" solution for forum layouts, internet would really become boring

nobody said their is "one best".

Usability is not detemined by a perfection but by an equality and esp. not tripping users brains up

I'm surprise that response from you otherwise their woudl only be one corporate business plan. One IT roll out plan. On supprto plan. And nobody woudl need to have UN and EEC funded "experts" come look at each situation

So, why does everyone put the indicator stalk on the same side of the steering wheel ?
    ( We in the UK suffered that for a long timne with some cars on left, some on right )
    DID that make every car interior look the same ? No clearly not.
    I didnt' expect such muddied thinking from you Pieter

why do you think that in every Citroen I buy I will disconnect the automatic fall-back of the indicators?

if there was only one "best" solution for forum layouts, internet would really become boring
    This raised a second interesting point and I've reviewd the other forums I'm involved in and clubs I'm a member of. Some cars, some software, some b2b, some technical.

Guess what .... the "new improved" UCP is the ONLY one laid out this way.
    ( I was actually siurprised at that! ) Even MSDN has now moved away from their previous Usenet-look !!!!

Now, that doesnt' say if a layout is good or bad.
    But, being different shoudl then be for good reasons
    Begin different just to look different would be like putting the indicator switch in the middle of the steering wheel cos it looks prettier (is anyone else old enough to remember THAT layout !!)

This raised a second interesting point and I've reviewd the other forums I'm involved in and clubs I'm a member of. Some cars, some software, some b2b, some technical.

Guess what .... the "new improved" UCP is the ONLY one laid out this way.
    ( I was actually siurprised at that! ) Even MSDN has now moved away from their previous Usenet-look !!!!

Now, that doesnt' say if a layout is good or bad.
    But, being different shoudl then be for good reasons
    Begin different just to look different would be like putting the indicator switch in the middle of the steering wheel cos it looks prettier (is anyone else old enough to remember THAT layout !!)
    UCP is now completely similar to Ferrari Chat. Anyway I think it is time to about stop the discussions and time will tell wether content wins over form or vice-versa...

UCP is now completely similar to Ferrari Chat.
    ROFLMAO 'nuff said
    Anyway I think it is time to about stop the discussions and time will tell wether content wins over form or vice-versa...
    That was said back in post #163
    BUT some folks don't seem to know that usability IS a measurable engineering activity now and not the "ole black magic" it was 20 years ago In response to the points raised I felt required to stand up for the industry !!!!

ROFLMAO 'nuff said
    so keep it that way

and in view of your next post, you may have the last word.......
    Last edited by henk4; 03-16-2006 at 12:42 PM.

Thread Information