Thread: Holden muscle has grip on CIA

Holden muscle has grip on CIA

AMERICA'S secretive CIA chiefs are setting their sights on an Australian muscle car as the new motor for agents.

Vroom ... the Pontiac GTO

The agency likes Holden's American Monaro - the Pontiac GTO - because of its speed.

Pontiac marketing manager Larry Pryg told The Daily Telegraph: "There's been serious interest from the CIA in using the GTO's qualities for high-speed pursuit and training work.

"We are treating it seriously and listening to just what they would like us to do to make the car as suitable as possible."

State police forces across the US have been expressing interest for some time in the GTO as a highway pursuit car.

But the approach from the CIA had come from left field, said Mr Pryg.

"We've been talking to the police for some time now and their main concern was an upgraded brake package.

"Those guys are brutal on the brakes. As far as the CIA are concerned they see the GTO as ideal for their high speed pursuit and avoidance training programs.

"We are certainly being very active in finding ways to meet their demands."

The new GTO will feature a pair of air intake scoops on the bonnet, dual exhausts and the new General Motors LS2 V8 engine with 295kW from the next generation Chevrolet Corvette.

And it is expected the new Holden Monaro will share the unique bonnet scoops - but not the new engine and exhaust system - when it is launched in Australia in September.

Holden has a history with police vehicles in the United States with several state and local forces adopting the Chevrolet-badged left-hand drive SS Commodores manufactured for the Middle East.

While Pryg conceded that sales of the current GTO had been "disappointing'' he was adamant that lessons learned would make moving the revised 2005 car - due to be launched in December or January - much easier.

He admitted: ``Nobody is saying it is not a great car to drive but the less aggressive look of the GTO did not go down well with many people and the fact that it was launched in winter at the slowest selling time of the US market did not help either.

"The 2005 car addresses many of the issues and will certainly appeal to more traditional GTO purists.

"With the revisions and the addition of the new engine I am really confident that the GTO is going to be a winner.

"It will definitely have a future as the hero performance car for Pontiac - the meanest and fastest performance star in the badge."

Luxury motors loved by police

Italian state police had a Lamborghini Gallardo to celebrate their 152nd birthday

A Morris Cooper S was given to Sydney City police last year

Victorian highway patrol were given a Saab 95 Aero last year

Subaru Impreza WRX was trialled by NSW police in 1998.

The Daily Telegraph

Regardless if your a ford or holden man i believe this is good for australia. If we get to keep the US contract that is.
    Sant0
    www.sant0.com

Now the whole world knows whos in the CIA and whos not
    coltyu. d;-)!

lol how true is that. Very good point. Are you in the CIA or something?
    Sant0
    www.sant0.com

Well i thought the cia member where supposed to be secret or something...who knows?

And what diffrence does season make for purchsing puruit behicals and who cares if a cop car looks agressive? they have used crown vics in the states for god only knows how long....

im curious as to whether Ford in Detroit has let the cops over there for any joy rides in one of several XR6T's doing LHD product development stateside........

but yeah.........talk about inconspicuous.....not only is it a car thas recieved massive publicity lately for reviving a legendary name, but now with its bonnet scoops, it'll be grabbing even more looks than ever. still i suppose it beats a Ford Excursion
    I am the Stig

Maybe its a recruiting scheme =P
    coltyu. d;-)!

Holden has always been good for the police, The head of police driving last year drove cars from everywhere vipers wrx and more but he said his personal fav was the Commodore SS fast handles great and enough room to sit a couple of extra heads in the rear.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Why would they have to be inconspicuous anyway? Its the CIA not the SAS or what ever the yanks call it.
    Sant0
    www.sant0.com

(Central impatent arseclowns)

S.A.S = Australian special air service regiment = The Best in the world

Quote Originally Posted by Sant0
    Why would they have to be inconspicuous anyway? Its the CIA not the SAS or what ever the yanks call it.
    Wel ifim not mistaken they will be followingpeople around so not being noticed is rather important.....

Everyone will notice a Pontiac GTO!
    coltyu. d;-)!

Quote Originally Posted by Colty
    Everyone will notice a Pontiac GTO!
    Well they more then likly would in america seeing as how they are very diffrent cars to mostly anything else on the road.....also a good majority think it looks like a "sucked caramel" so either theyll be looking at it our of intrest or morbid curiosity....

it might not be as bad once they get the bonnet vents for the next model, im probably not alone in thinking Pontiac made a mistake in fitting the rear spoiler as standard.
    I am the Stig

I agree the wing isnt good its a car that looks bad with it on, Also some 18" rims would go on just nice.

Thread Information