Thread: Andretti to test Honda F1 car

Andretti to test Honda F1 car

American rising star Marco Andretti will get his first taste of Formula 1 power next week after Honda invited him to join its test session at Jerez.

The 19-year-old, grandson of 1978 world champion Mario Andretti and son of former McLaren driver Michael, was handed the opportunity in recognition of his achievements in the Honda-powered IRL IndyCar Series.

Andretti made a sensational impact in his rookie IndyCar season, winning at Sears Point and narrowly missing out on victory in the Indianapolis 500.

He will drive Honda’s 2006 car on Friday, the final scheduled day of testing before the Christmas break.

“I am thrilled that Honda has offered me this incredible opportunity,” said Andretti.

“2006 was a fantastic inaugural year for me in the IRL and I look forward to fighting for the championship next season.

“However, as you would expect of any racing driver, when Honda offered me the chance to drive, I grabbed it with both hands – no hesitation!

“I can only imagine what an awesome experience this is going to be and I’m just going to take my time and enjoy every moment.”

Honda’s sporting director Gil de Ferran, a former Indy 500 winner, added: “We are delighted to have Marco join us in Jerez next week for his first run in a Formula 1 car.

“Marco has had an outstanding first season in the IndyCar Series, making a big impact at such a young age.

“As part of the extended Honda Racing family, it will be a great pleasure for us to give him the chance of his first experience of Formula 1.”

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.a...38083&PO=38083

I went to high school with Marco. He's a douchebag.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs
    I went to high school with Marco. He's a douchebag.
    Hahahaha

Marco's dad Michael sucked

It seems that family is going downhill...
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Sounds like he's just an arrogant cockbag.

In other American-openwheel-racer-to-test-in-F1 news, the STR F1 team have today confirmed that 3-time Champcar champion Sebastian Bourdais will test for them in Jerez this week. Personally I'm more excited about this news than the Marco Andretti story. Bourdais is LONG overdue a shot at proving himself in F1. He was impressive in winning the F3000 championship in 2002 and definitely had the potential to make the step up to F1 but wasn't part of a driver development programme for the big teams, and didn't have the financial clout to get himself a drive in the smaller teams.

After crossing the pond he's won the Champcar series 3 years on the bounce, seemingly without breaking into a sweat at times. Not only is he VERY quick, he's also a very tough and aggressive racer, and certainly wouldn't be phased by the step up to F1. Rumour has it that he has on a few occassions been offered full-time testing roles with teams like Williams and Sauber, but with no guarantee of a race seat he was reluctant to turn his back on a hugely successful career in America. I'd love to see him do well and turn a few heads in the F1 paddock, but he's tied down to Newman-Hass for 2007 so it's highly unlikely that he'll be in F1 permanently in the near future.

Last edited by Jack_Bauer; 12-11-2006 at 11:15 AM.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Thread Information