Go to Ultimatecarpage.com

Go Back   Ultimatecarpage.com forums > Automotive forums > Racing forums

Old 04-15-2013, 07:58 PM
Fanatic

Moss: Women drivers lack aptitude....

Moss: female drivers lack aptitude to succeed in Formula 1 - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com

Thoughts?

I think its sort of an senile comment, even if he is a legend and a GP winner(who if you might want to turn his own words on him, may lack "aptitude" to win a title in F1 in his prime?) Looking just at stats it certainly sorta seem that way, but the amount of female drivers in motor racing is still much less than that of man, and with that at the end of the day you still only have 20-30 F1 drivers in a season. Even less than that have won a GP not to mention title. As a statistical or probability exercise its just going to have an even smaller group of sample pool to get a female GP driver. I think physically they might need to work more to overcome some anatomical disadvantage in upper body strength or neck muscle, but I don't see that ultimately is going to stop someone determined enough to make it....
Old 04-15-2013, 11:08 PM
Furniture

Barcelona
Send a message via MSN to Ferrer
I think that women can be as competitive as any other man. Maybe more, if they take an interest in whatever is at stake.

Having said that, maybe they aren't interested in going round in circles very and basically ending up where you started?
Old 04-16-2013, 01:03 AM
Furniture

brisbane - sub-tropical land of mangoes
Send a message via MSN to clutch-monkey
i'd like to see more women have a go at it for sure, you certainly see them mixing it up with the boys at club level and historic events.
off the top of my head one woman races a 993 GT2 and the another a gemballa biturbo boxster in the porsche club sprint series for example.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:56 AM
Enthusiast

It's still a world dominated by men... Unfortunately, misogyny isn't going away anytime soon.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:18 AM
Rookie

I've always heard that women had better reaction time than men, even if they lack upper body strength. I know Courtney Force has been (slowly) rising through the ranks of Top Fuel, but she's not exactly her dad. She's grown up with 10 times the monetary backing her dad had but she hasn't been quite so successful. However, only the future will tell where she's going.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:36 AM
Supporting Member

Rozenburg, Holland
Sir Stirling's late sister Pat drove rallys and quite successfully.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:50 AM

Philadelphia, PA
Send a message via AIM to Cobrafan427
The immediate name that comes to my mind is Danica Patrick and the response is hell no, women can't drive because the media is all about her. But if you step back and think of Sabine Schmitz, there could maybe be some possibility
Old 04-16-2013, 10:55 AM
Furniture

Barcelona
Send a message via MSN to Ferrer
Michelle Mouton.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

nr Edinburgh, Whisky-soaked Scotland
Sadly Sir Stirling is likely suffering that reduction of mental emotional capacity which comes with old age.

He's had a go about "poofters" and now it's women.

He's 83, he was a womaniser in his career and so probably his strongest memories of what women can do have little to do with wheels

Don't sweat it.

Do have to say I doubt many women would back stab at the rate of the likes of Vettel !!!!
Old 04-16-2013, 11:29 AM
Supporting Member

Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
Do have to say I doubt many women would back stab at the rate of the likes of Vettel !!!!
maybe women can beat Vettel in the whining department? (I doubt it though)
Old 04-16-2013, 12:06 PM
Furniture

East Coast of the United States
He grew up in a different era and people had different ideas about what men and women were capable of doing.

It may be stupid to say so now, but for someone of his generation it is not out of place.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:05 PM
Enthusiast

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
Send a message via AIM to jcp123
Having driven with my wife at the helm...

...I can't help but agree.

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:07 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
He grew up in a different era and people had different ideas about what men and women were capable of doing.

It may be stupid to say so now, but for someone of his generation it is not out of place.
I see your point. But it still doesn't make it okay to say. It's degrading as hell...
Old 04-16-2013, 01:32 PM
Enthusiast

Moscow, Russia
Send a message via MSN to faksta
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post

Regardless of what some people might be saying, men will always be men and women will always be women and they will never be equal in terms of many different things. At least I hope they will not be.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:50 PM
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrafan427 View Post
The immediate name that comes to my mind is Danica Patrick and the response is hell no, women can't drive because the media is all about her. But if you step back and think of Sabine Schmitz, there could maybe be some possibility
Danica is just one, and she isn't exactly any worse than her colleagues in Indy car or now NASCAR. She gets more coverage, but thats just how the societal norm shaped the attention paid to her. She knows full well of that and making full use of it to her advantage in attracting sponsors. Racing drivers by necessity are selfish animals because they have to be, the need to raise a vast amount of money from a relatively limited pool means any advantage they get they use. Women gets more scrutiny now and thus you are more aware of their performance, vs the people who just do poorly and not get noticed at all....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Having driven with my wife at the helm...

...I can't help but agree.
Having driven with many other guys at the helm, I am amazed men are F1 drivers....